Author Topic: Windows XP on a Vista ready machine  (Read 1538 times)

failed.bard

Windows XP on a Vista ready machine
« on: October 15, 2009, 08:43:29 PM »
  The computer I'm currently running, an HP that came with the cheap no disks Vista installation, has been randomly crashing on me the last two weeks.  Since it didn't come with Vista disks, and I can't do a selective re-install, I'm currently in the process of forcibly reverting it to being an XP machine.

In the current setup, I can theoretically boot to Vista off the factory drive, or XP off the drive I moved from my old computer to make the revert possible.

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with dual boot machines.  If it isn't likely to cause any conflicts, I might save the Vista boot in case I come across a program that won't run on XP properly.

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
Re: Windows XP on a Vista ready machine
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 10:23:21 PM »
Switch it entirely. No need to dual boot. Back up your info and switch harddrives.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 02:00:18 AM »
I'm using a dual boot.  It's harder when Vista is installed first, but you can do it without too much trouble.  There are a lot of good guides on how to do this on the internet - which is how I figured it out.

Just make sure you search for "with Vista installed first".

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 02:02:57 AM »
yes, also. swappable hard disk bays is another option. I run 2 xps, a vista and 2 linux that way. its a convenient way to get the most out of hardware.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.