You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Maps.  (Read 4354 times)

Chrisman888

• The Man Of The Hour
  • Dark Power
Maps.
« on: September 10, 2009, 10:06:19 AM »
Could it be possible to make map items? As in a item that you buy, you use it and it clears all of the "Black Fog" from your map in a city.

I think it would make IC sense for people to sell Map's in huge cities.

~ Chris
Current Characters:
- Horatiu Milosovici (Barovian)
- Garbhan Macduff (Forlon)

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
Re: Maps.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 11:46:17 AM »
Could be interesting.

bloodandsoil

• Undead Slayer
    • TWAJ
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 04:26:43 PM »
I once made a map of all accessible areas (above ground) by making screenshots of the in-game map after I had cleared all the black fog.  It didn't have Castle Ravenloft in it of course.  It was a huge map after I pasted them all together in my editing software.

HELL TAKES THE HINDMOST

DM Raven

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 05:14:02 PM »
I had this on other servers, it was of great use, because of the reset, you always loose where you had been before, and somtimes forget the way.... once a map is bought  hey presto your character always remebers but now you the ooc player actually remebers toooooo

Blacky Rose

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 07:47:34 PM »
I made maps of Vallaki, Port a Lucine and Blaustein once:

Link

Regarding buyable in-game maps, I've only seen the 1-map per area versions, which would require a player to have a huge number of maps in their inventory (Vallaki alone is 7 areas). It would be handy if there would be a single map item that opens up several game areas though.
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self.

failed.bard

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 07:54:39 PM »
Since there would need to be an on enter script that checked for an item, there could easily be "Vallaki Map", "Barovia Village Map", "Port-a-Lucine Map", and such that worked for each area in that particular town.  That would make more sense than individual maps for each area, though, for Port-a-Lucine mpas of the poor section wouldn't make as much sense to be able to buy.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 02:15:28 AM »
Since there would need to be an on enter script that checked for an item, there could easily be "Vallaki Map", "Barovia Village Map", "Port-a-Lucine Map", and such that worked for each area in that particular town.  That would make more sense than individual maps for each area, though, for Port-a-Lucine mpas of the poor section wouldn't make as much sense to be able to buy.
Our areas already use OnEnter scripts for spawning monsters, NPCs, placeables and so on.

It'd be a lot easier to have an item that you activate to make the map appear like in the NWN original campaign. It might require a bunch of maps for cities that take up more than one area, but that's not really a big deal, is it? ;)

It's not a bad idea, really, but not direly needed, either. Still, if I can figure out how to do it and the rest of the dev team approves I can make some, assuming it's not an overly complicated script or hogs resources, but I don't think it would.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 02:43:39 AM »

Link

Regarding buyable in-game maps, I've only seen the 1-map per area versions, which would require a player to have a huge number of maps in their inventory (Vallaki alone is 7 areas). It would be handy if there would be a single map item that opens up several game areas though.

Hey, those maps are pretty kick-ass.

But David, wasn't maps illegal in Barovia?

Chrisman888

• The Man Of The Hour
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 08:39:04 AM »
Just something that popped in my head when I had no clue where anything was in Dem.

But if it is a lot of work or just a mess of scripts, meh no need then not that important.

~ Chris
Current Characters:
- Horatiu Milosovici (Barovian)
- Garbhan Macduff (Forlon)

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 01:59:46 PM »

Link

Hey, those maps are pretty kick-ass.

But David, wasn't maps illegal in Barovia?
I don't think so... :think: I don't remember reading anything about maps being illegal.

Heck in I, Strahd, Strahd consulted a map of Mt. Baratak at the Wachter estate before confronting Leo Dilisnya. So I think maps would be okay.

Now the Van Richten guides...those are illegal in Barovia ;)

Psyche

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 04:44:17 PM »
- In the original campaign the revealmap procedure is triggered on an OnEnter script, not a unique use, but it could still work like that.
Surely, however, the script could just be written unassigned and put into the existing OnEnter script as an #include?

failed.bard

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 05:55:41 PM »
- In the original campaign the revealmap procedure is triggered on an OnEnter script, not a unique use, but it could still work like that.
Surely, however, the script could just be written unassigned and put into the existing OnEnter script as an #include?

I think the issue with the OnEnter script is that checking the inventory by script would cause a considerable amount of lag, which would be avoided completely if the PC used the item instead.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 07:31:54 PM »

I think the issue with the OnEnter script is that checking the inventory by script would cause a considerable amount of lag, which would be avoided completely if the PC used the item instead.
:Yes_by_rizlafiend:

Grieyls

• Undead Master
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 11:35:30 PM »
If it's going to be an IG thing... Can you make it a "Atlas of Barovia" that would work in all outdoor environs assuming such a thing is possible. Not liking the idea of having carrying around a dozen maps all the time. But an Atlas would make less space, one book as it were. ;)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 08:57:38 AM by Grieyls »

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 11:42:43 PM »
If it's going to be an IG thing... Can you make it a "Atlas of Barovia" that would work in all outdoor environs assuming such a thing is possible. Not liking the idea of having carrying around a dozen maps all the time. But an Atlas would make less sapce, one book as it were. ;)
Nah, would be cooler if they droped in random places for different zones and once you had all of them the book maker in lucine would bind them for you or something. Of course I guess that would make it a quest and unfortunatly we dont have those. [Sigh]

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

Grieyls

• Undead Master
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2009, 06:35:51 AM »
Nah, would be cooler if they droped in random places for different zones and once you had all of them the book maker in lucine would bind them for you or something. Of course I guess that would make it a quest and unfortunatly we dont have those. [Sigh]

Ooh.. I like that idea even better  :mrgreen:

LeslieMS

• Undead Slayer
  • Mercy is the light in the darkness...
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2009, 03:23:44 PM »
I forget if it was a NWN mod I played or a Premium Mod or if it was actually NWN 2.... but:

I vaguely recall there being recipe books and as you found recipe pages they were added to the book, then you could read the recipe via a dialogue that would list the recipes you had via numbered options.

Perhaps you could find the maps randomly and add them to your atlas... then depending on which script is less complicated either have an on enter script to check for a map and remove the 'unmapped tiles' of the map, or when you 'examine' the map you can clear them [ie after a reset or upon entering the area you could look at the map and clear the black tiles]

Or they could be purchased for a good bit of gold and be 'usable' sheets of paper, and if not an atlas type book to store them in, maybe a 'mapcase' or something similar that could keep them from cluttering inventory... like a bag of holding that would only hold 'maps'

Anyway it would save me from having to try to draw my own maps in my crudish 'less than first grade art level skill' way.  Its sort of frustrating when I explore an area enough and just get the minimap useful [doesn't help that I get lost easy and forget things easy] and then the reset sets me back again.  Not that drawing my own maps on graph paper isn't fun... reminds me of hardcore pnp days or the days of games like 'The Magic Candle' when it took the whole family to play the computer game because someone had to keep the journal, someone else had to map out the areas, and then of course someone had to helm the computer controls (Wow that brings back memories of my childhood... Computer time/Family time and DND time all rolled into one!) Its just that a nifty item like that would help those less inclined to make maps and more inclined to get lost.

So long as of course the wonderful devs would be willing to take on an object type issue like that.  (I know I know they do so much already) but its just a thought and that is my 2...x2 Cents worth =)

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2009, 11:37:38 PM »
I have seen the maps to valk and the castle online somewhere before,domain maps to.

Samson/Tatyanna Costella