You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Bastard Swords  (Read 8197 times)

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
Re: Bastard Swords
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2009, 05:47:51 PM »
^^ but because of the loot drops of people hitting said areas where they might drop it means eventually you'll have scores of people hauling them around ^^

CrossfireAR-15

• New to the Mists
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2009, 08:15:55 PM »
Ok granted I agree to a point with the last post.

let us just say. there are two places that any of the above mentioned weapons could drop. And say only 1% of the time on a give reset.  Now say that twice a day a group of 5 or 6 PC's enter said area. and one of the two groups  defeat said boss that has that in a loot box.  thats 2% chance a day. that it might be there..
the normal break down of weapon goes like thus..
65% of swords are long swords
20% are broad swords
5% are short swords
4% are bastard swords
1% are two handed swords
Unless a specific item indicates other wise.
The Chance for a give character to locate a powerful sword.. and have it be the exact type of weapon the he or she uses.  breaks down to less than  .8% chance,give or take .. I'd would venture to say thats pretty darn low chances. what maybe 2 uber weapons a month? maybe one of which is exactly useable by any given character and of course the cost of such a thing. would be... 50,000 to 100,000 gold or more.

To me this is pure simple logic done by the rules and Math.. of course... said weapon might be sought after by evil or powerful other NPC's or PC's which could lead to some fun Rp as well.

I'd like to hear what maybe some of the DM's or admin might think of this.

failed.bard

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2009, 08:51:35 PM »
  Anything over +1 never drops due to the structure of teh loot tables.  The items are added based on the GP value of the chest, not a straight random chance, so a normal +2 weapon with no minuses becomes so high value in contrast you would never see it, and beyond that there isn't a chance it would drop, ever.
  That's the reason shiny chain boots are rare, even with the penalties, and +2 monk boots with no penalties are non-existant.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2009, 11:05:23 PM »
I tried to have one made several times, but organizing it was far too time consuming... and the idea was lost in the mists of forever.

hugolino

• Dark Lord
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2009, 11:54:18 PM »
there's no real reason except we hadn't thought of any good ideas for them. We can always make some though

It is alright if the weapon proposals (including exotic weapons such as kukri, katanas and the bastard sword) I made in the "Item Suggestions" thread were considered to be no good this past month, but is it possible to get a hint why they aren't/weren't good ideas?

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2009, 03:53:26 AM »
^^ but because of the loot drops of people hitting said areas where they might drop it means eventually you'll have scores of people hauling them around ^^
Not if somehow they could be made "no drop" items, not shure if thats possible though.

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2009, 01:23:55 PM »
Not if somehow they could be made "no drop" items, not shure if thats possible though.

no drops? i guess you mean dm only items? thats true if thats what you mean i suppose that would work

CrossfireAR-15

• New to the Mists
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2009, 07:51:10 PM »
Cannot Unique Chests be made to be asigned those items only? and only on a low % mentioned?

failed.bard

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2009, 08:20:17 PM »
  Loot drops are by items value, not a random percentage chance overall, and the weapons on that list would all be too high value to ever drop.  From my understanding of the rules the DMs operate under, even having one of those on the list be a DM spawned drop would have to be voted on by all the DMs on a case by case basis.

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2009, 11:28:25 PM »

no drops? i guess you mean dm only items? thats true if thats what you mean i suppose that would work
Yep dm only items, and forget silly DM drop votes just hand them out at events or something.

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

failed.bard

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2009, 11:40:07 PM »
  The votes are to ensure there's not even the appearance of favouritism, and they're a good idea, really.  If a few players started getting +3 and +4 items, there'd be quite a few people claiming it was OOCly motivated, and it's better they have the policy in place that prevents that from happening.

Metal_ash

• Dark Lord
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2009, 01:44:49 PM »
There is some nice bastards swords in there, just them be rare and hard to find...

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2009, 06:07:32 PM »
The only nice one is the Elemental Vortex, and I personally think that's a uhh... rather dangerous weapon to be handling, and not that great to begin with.

Serevain

• Undead Master
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2009, 07:23:33 PM »
I've personally handled about.. 1 legit +2 item IG. I had to coordinate it, and received it as a gift from the vaults of the Zeklos, which makes sense to be a treasure to them. Gave it as payment to someone else. I bet he was pleased with that rapier.  8)

Virgil, Shattered Husk
Sir Tristan Crowley, Bastard Knight of the Charitable One
Operon Amentlus, Dwarf Magus
Ignatie Carmitru, Vallaki Garda

Metal_ash

• Dark Lord
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2009, 08:24:23 PM »
well i have seen both bastards swords with Vamp reggy in and them +1 enchant and +1d4 slashing so...

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2009, 11:26:12 PM »
well i have seen both bastards swords with Vamp reggy in and them +1 enchant and +1d4 slashing so...

Those aren't drops, sadly, and are also not very good weapons when compared to the longswords out there.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2009, 08:51:52 AM »
If a player, can get  DR +3, then another Player, should be able to get a +3 AB weapon that's not a +3 pair of cuticle scissors.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2009, 12:07:01 PM »
If a player, can get  DR +3, then another Player, should be able to get a +3 AB weapon that's not a +3 pair of cuticle scissors.

~Rex

Heck, I tried making a dagger, but it ended up too expensive for the game by around 10,000 fang.

+5 Enhancement
-5 AB
-5 Damage

Basically a worn and broken shard of adamantine. Still an excellent mage-masher, since at the moment any class with Stoneskin gets effectively +10 HP/level.

Kni7es

• Outlander
  • Vagabond
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2009, 09:08:48 PM »
Did you try to do just an attack bonus? According to nwn.wikia.com:

The attack bonus property on a weapon will work as well as enhancement bonus for purposes of bypassing damage reduction - i.e. a weapon with a +5 attack bonus will bypass 20/+5 damage reduction.

That should cut your costs down significantly.
Underneath this hood... is another hood.

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2009, 05:43:55 AM »
I'll try now....

Nope, still costs in excess of 10,000.

Sadly, giving it a -3 AB penalty cuts down on the cost by a measly 160 fang. Without piling on more and more arbitary, pointless penalties, it's just not feasible.

CrossfireAR-15

• New to the Mists
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2009, 05:44:05 PM »
can some one please explain these cost tables and by cost table drops to me? I sorta got a idea of what is being said. but Im not sure.
and why exatly are costs set so low?   :|

Thraya

• New to the Mists
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2009, 01:09:57 PM »
Bastard swords should be rare considering the fact that they are somewhat like a +2 damage longsword.

With all the extra feats, why would anyone even bother with longsword if bastard sword was readily available?
Ov e ra n dU n de r an d In b et w ee n th o ug h ts

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2009, 02:51:18 PM »
Because it still takes an extra feat?

A lot of people don't have all of the proficiencies, nor can all people afford the extra space and weight a bastard sword requires.

As it is now, longswords are just about the best weapons you can get.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 02:53:10 PM by Bad_Bud »

Thraya

• New to the Mists
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2009, 12:13:49 AM »
Well, then they should be available, but a great deal more expensive.
Ov e ra n dU n de r an d In b et w ee n th o ug h ts

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2009, 12:31:50 AM »
they are out there, only very very rare