You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Bastard Swords  (Read 8196 times)

jugnaut

• Dark Lord
Bastard Swords
« on: September 08, 2009, 11:08:29 PM »
Any chance of getting more Talon Blades or other types of bastard sword to be made slightly less rare in the game?  Seems like every other weapon has a decent verison.  A good bastard sword is extremely hard to find.  Would be nice to have something for us.

Mortimer-uber hin
Istvan Csapek-"hm hm hm"
Erik Draven-Ezra's Anchorite
Kalmah-Ex-Vardo

Cursed Ink

• Dark Lord
  • 1# Highest Bounty Winner
Re: Bastard Swords
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 01:49:27 AM »
ive been looking for awhile too. I see +1 everything except for a basic +1 Bastard Sword

failed.bard

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 02:03:19 AM »
There are very few +1 exotic weapons of any kind, really.  I'm not sure why the falkovnian talon sword (+1 AB) stopped dropping though.

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 02:04:30 AM »
Natives probobly dont like the word bastard there very conservative.     :blackcat: :ohnoes:

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

Countess29

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 02:21:36 AM »

From what I gather a nice bastardsword doesn't exist on ravenloft. Would be nice to see a few rares or at least know they are out there

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 02:48:26 AM »
There are quite a few amazing bastard swords. They are just very very rare. Same goes for the Katana.
Has been described as a sometimey player

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 03:15:19 AM »
there's no real reason except we hadn't thought of any good ideas for them. We can always make some though

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

darkravenkin

• Undead Master
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 03:40:25 AM »
I've seen two other special bastard swords. I don't remember there names but there stats were,

+1 enchanted 2 slashing damage

The other was,

+1 attack and 1d4 slashing

I know I sold one to Hobs and I believe she also bought the other one too.

Arik Donovich - He has found a home, but it has become a prison for him.
Gargain Kernsonn - Ex loyal guard
Laylynn Ravenkin - One personality dead, only two more and I rule alone.

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 03:46:22 AM »
OMG they joke wasent that bad! But yah it wouldnt hurt to throw some +1's in. One of these days im going to make a 2 handed sword char. How are we set for those are they rare to?

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 04:19:24 AM »
I think we should toss all magical weapons and mages into a big meat grinder  :mrgreen:

I got my silver steel bastardsword and I am happy with it. Why are people so eager for so strong weaponry when you got that one? Get one of the tons of mage and buff it up and you go.  ;) But well a balance of more bastard swords perhaps is needed.

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 04:30:39 AM »
the best weapons in the game are two handed swords. The -best-
Has been described as a sometimey player

Countess29

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 04:40:09 AM »

Hmm how does a meat grinder work against a steel sword?

Well I am just looking for a bastardsword that kind of matches some of the others I have seen.

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 07:17:44 AM »
I think we should toss all magical weapons and mages into a big meat grinder  :mrgreen:

I got my silver steel bastardsword and I am happy with it. Why are people so eager for so strong weaponry when you got that one? Get one of the tons of mage and buff it up and you go.  ;) But well a balance of more bastard swords perhaps is needed.

Problem is with the amount of stuff that requires magical weaponary to even harm normally, coupled with the rarity and nonexistence of anything better than a +1, meaning Fighters rely totally on people buffing them.

Heck, I actually wanted to submit a weapon based on a basic shard of adamantine. It would be a short sword with +4 Enhancement bonus, BUT -5 AB and -5 damage. Meaning against most things, it was a stupid choice, but would be a damned good thing for Fighters when they came across something with DR.

Sadly the game decided that such a thing should actually cost upwards of 30,000g for some reason.

jugnaut

• Dark Lord
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 08:18:02 AM »
there's no real reason except we hadn't thought of any good ideas for them. We can always make some though

Would be appreciated if you make some =)

Mortimer-uber hin
Istvan Csapek-"hm hm hm"
Erik Draven-Ezra's Anchorite
Kalmah-Ex-Vardo

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 08:19:51 AM »
Well look at it this way. Hand and a half swords were not around every where and thier 1d10 19-20 compard to the longswords 1d8 19-20 makes no sence but it does make sence to have them be ungodly rare due to the fact not every one used them its more realistic.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 08:49:22 AM »
This is why Rex uses Strength Minimums for weapons and still wishes that NwN had worked out the weapon proficiencies correctly.   heh.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

darkpriest

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 09:04:06 AM »
This is why Rex uses Strength Minimums for weapons and still wishes that NwN had worked out the weapon proficiencies correctly.   heh.

~Rex

for shields and armors as well? ;)

Lockleed

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 09:52:43 AM »
You lot realize a simple PC crafted steel bastard sword provides a +1d6 slashing damage, right?  It comparison to almost every existant weapon, its got an edge.  Base 1d10+1d6 with a 19-20/x2 crit range is awfully nice, especially when its a single handed weapon.  Katana's and dwarven waraxes of PC manufacture run the same gauntlet.  You can't get that degree of potential base damage out of any other single handed weapon.  Longswords, battleaxes, and warhammers of steel make only get a +1d4 damage of the appropriate type.

Now my oldest PC is a hand and a half swordsman, and although he does carry a unique bastard sword, 90% of the time I'm still relying on that plain old silver-steel bastard sword I've had forever.  The weapon is just bloody solid.  That aside, an elemental damage bastard sword floating around out there couldn't hurt.  I wouldn't go and import Flametongue or anything, but something that inflicted a few points of acid, sonic, etc.; might be nice to have out there.  Or a +1 or +2 AB bastard sword.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 10:55:26 AM »
Samuel carried Scorn, a +1 to hit, +2 damage bastard sword, and the Lurker Basterd Sword, +1 to hit, +1d4 around for ages.
even then in 90% of the situations the silvered steel was better, even without buffs.
And the ease of getting holy water, alchemists fire, enchanted polishing clothes, makes it so you can hurt most things without the need for a buffer actually, its even easier with Varnishes

and it isnt really that difficult to find a cleric or wizard/sorceror or bard, or paladin on this server, the problem is most casters like to be Glory Hounds, meaning they buff themselves.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 11:00:35 AM »

~Rex

for shields and armors as well? ;)

Yes.  It keeps the Munchkins at bay.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Pepchko

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 12:03:07 PM »
well there is a really good bastard sword that strahd uses. its his weapon of choice, could always try to steal his  :devil:

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 12:22:25 PM »
it has been stolen before, and it was returned, was a hell of a task getting it back

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2009, 02:35:40 PM »
it has been stolen before, and it was returned, was a hell of a task getting it back
Different sword.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2009, 02:39:06 PM »
oh.. right, sorry

I forgot... was still a hell of a task getting that bastard sword back

CrossfireAR-15

• New to the Mists
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2009, 03:54:04 PM »
Ok.. here's a abit of interesting information I dug up from some  2ed. Ravenloft  books. and a mod.

Rumored to be located in Ravenloft is
a Nine lives  bastard sword.
Sword of the planes..
Sunblade

Granted these swords would be concidered "high  magic"  but they do exsist here. and would be as well next to unique at best.

My personal thoughts on High magic and weapons Ive read on several differnt posts here in the forums is not exactly in line with the common ideas of which the server is set.  To set the post here this is from  the domains of dread 2nd Edition book
"Few if any magical items are created in Ravenloft, thus adventures will not find piles of treasure laying about for the taking. Here wealth does not drive people. surving does. This does not mean greed does not exsist here or that magical items do not exsist, they are just uncommon... DM's should half the chance that a given type of treasure is is present"

With that said. FROM THE BOOK. here is what the break down might be or at least close. This is just taken from the DM guide and halfed for arguments sake. Page 175
Inividual is 12th lvl.
3items from table 1
2items from table 2
60% chance  one from table 3  Ravenloft would be 30%
20% chance from  table 4 or 5  Ravenloft would be 10%
Table 5 includes
+Flame tougne swords
+1 +3 vs regenerating creatures
+1 luck blade
+2 giant slayers
+2 dragon slayers
+2 Nine live stealers
+3 Frost brands +6 vs fire using creatures
+4 swords
+4 defenders
 +5 holy advngers
Swors of wounding
Life stealing
Swords of sharpness
and Vorple weapons
The defenders H.A.'s Dancing and wounding and life stealing and shapness and vorple blades in Ravenloft would only drop 1 and 1 half a percent of the time. and them being a bastard sword would only be 4% of the swords. mentioned. But according to the rules they do exsist here but are very very rare

« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 04:02:38 PM by CrossfireAR-15 »