You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Game crash issue  (Read 8750 times)

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
Re: Game crash issue
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2009, 09:55:25 PM »
So I am not alone in the acid rain. In my case my computer is from 2004, Realtek 97 or something like that is the name of my Onboard Audio device, Latest Audio driver released is from 2003, I even just posted in a thread with similar subject, recently I've been crashing and I use Windows XP since ever and I have the 5 CDs of NWN, no diamond here, so we can agree that it has Nothing to do with Diamond or Vista, but we can't be sure yet. I started to crash recently, at the beginning I thought it could be something related to a update made in the server itself, but now I can't tell anymore, it is hard to say since I've been only playing POTM... Does anybody had same issues outside POTM?

Or yet could it be the new Catalyst 9.9 and driver? I use a Radeon HD3850 AGP, I doubt there is anything related to audio, HD3850 agp models doesn't have support for audio(through HDMI). I'm using the AGP fix drivers by the way.

Edit: I have single core, so Multi Core may not be the problem either.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 10:00:38 PM by Natan'nael »

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2009, 10:30:54 PM »
I use a Radeon HD3850 AGP

Fyi, I got the same vid card.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2009, 10:39:27 PM »

failed.bard

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2009, 10:41:42 PM »
  Heretic had linked me to a thread that recommended turning dynamic lights off, due to them causing an excessive memory bleed on some systems.

To test if this is the problem, open up the windows task manager to the memory usage page, while tabbed out of the game.  Memory usage should stay constant while you're idling in game, with dynamic lights above minimum I was bleeding about 1.5K or ram a second.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2009, 10:48:08 PM »
By each "k" you guys are using, you mean like 1.5k/s = 1.5mb/s ?
I can only think of 1k being 1Gb.

failed.bard

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2009, 11:29:44 PM »
One Kb of memory.  I forgot the little "b" after.  I have 3 Gb of ram, which is normal these days, so a Kb (one millionth of a Gb) doesn't seem like much in comparison, but losing a Kb or two a second for two hours, it adds up.  After awhile this was causing texture corruptions and crashes in my system.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2009, 09:42:37 PM »
So?

Has this been solved ywt? Just have to reduce the number od dynamic lights?

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2009, 09:53:41 PM »
Its entirely solved on my end.

failed.bard

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2009, 11:12:26 PM »
  Seems to be entirley fixed for me off that one change as well.  I went from crashing suddenly every two hours, usually at the worst possible times, to being completely stable for the eight hours Lilindi and Marle talked about religion.

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2012, 11:33:51 PM »
Bump for someone experiencing these issues:

So despite disabling the soundboard, I still had issues. Did some more research on the matter and found this thread:

:arrow: http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=690657&forum=49

Seems the problem is related to ATI cards on one part and certain settings to others. I've tried what was mentioned on that thread, left the game running, and where I would have crashed 8 - 12 times in the interval of that time lapse (5 hours), I didn't crash a single time.

Hope this will help you guys.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002