Author Topic: Game crash issue  (Read 8746 times)

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
Game crash issue
« on: September 08, 2009, 06:06:32 PM »
I've been having crash issues lately, where no matter the time I run Nwn, after a certain determined time logged on, the game freezes and crashes me. I am wondering what might be the cause and what I could do to fix it.

Similarly, I've also noticed my firefox browser seems to be much slower to start up.

My system specs are far beyond Nwn, I am on windows XP.

Has anyone experienced these sort of crashes before?

Chrisman888

• The Man Of The Hour
  • Dark Power
Re: Game crash issue
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 06:59:41 PM »
Have you recently re-installed NwN?

Also what is your system specs?

Though try this first, go into your BIOS and find something called "Video RAM Cachable" which should be enabled, disable it and see if that helps.

~ Chris
Current Characters:
- Horatiu Milosovici (Barovian)
- Garbhan Macduff (Forlon)

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 07:33:41 PM »
Have you recently re-installed NwN?

Also what is your system specs?

Though try this first, go into your BIOS and find something called "Video RAM Cachable" which should be enabled, disable it and see if that helps.

~ Chris

System specs are pretty high, 2 gig ram, ATI Radeon 3850, 2.2 Quad core system.

I am re-installing the whole thing and removing Firefox to see if it helps. What's the effect of disabling the Ram Cachable by the way?

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 07:35:07 PM »
what do you have for audio on your computer? 9 out of 10 crashes are caused by crappy realtek onboard sound chips

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 07:40:49 PM »
Since I am a noob, I took a screenie of sound under system specs.

failed.bard

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »
  I have the same sort of issue, after a certain amount of time I start to see corrupted textures, and will crash very shortly after that.  It started after one of the critical updates, I went from one crash per week, to one every two hours or so.
  I'm assuming it's a conflict between vista and my graphics drivers, to do with how ATI cards handle texturing.  Since it seems to be a vista problem not one with my card, new drivers don't help in my case.

I'm curious if this is similar to your problem, Heretic.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 02:33:47 AM »
I knew it! It's that realtek crap. Ugggh that stuff is so horrid. Disable all of that in windows and buy a Sounblaster instead. Your crashes will go away.

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 03:05:18 AM »
Reinstalled nwn, and it still happens. At lost, since hardware is functioning well. Think i'll get that realtek thing changed.

@failed bard: I don't get the corrupted textures, the game simply freezes, I can't click or go off to windowed mode, freezes and after 1 min, it crashes, allowing me to restart again.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 03:13:27 AM »
yeah dude, that's what used to happen to me. it's that realtek built-in audio. those things are poorly made and have incompatability issues. It went away after I disabled it and installed a Soundblaster.

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 03:19:58 AM »
I suppose it might be the same issue I'm having. In some minutes I'll have technicians response.
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

failed.bard

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 03:57:35 AM »
I have a realtek built in card as well, but since I was getting graphics glitches, I'm not sure if that's the problem in my case.  I could always slap the soundblaster from my other computer into it and see if it helps, then buy another one if it does.

Forral

• New to the Mists
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 04:14:49 AM »
I used to get severe frame-rating problems that I for a very long time thought was because of my Dual-Core CPU not quite being compatible with NWN. I tried all of the recommended solutions to no avail, but then incidently found that the problems would go away entirely when I switched to software emulation of my sound, in the audio options within the game itself. In my case as well, it was because of the Realtek sound card being a big meanie.

Checking around the forums showed that Realtek sound cards were responsible for a whole host of problems that you'd never think would be possible, much like Blue' says. However, if you don't want to throw your money around and go buy things that might not even help, I'd recommend heading into NWN's audio options and switching to software emulation first.

It's both simple and cheap, and also easy to revert if it accomplishes nothing.

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 04:23:12 AM »
I'm about to cry. My computer is half-dead. Motherboard changing but they said it has several other issues. *sniffs and goes on his 2001 mule again*

[EDIT]: I know I'm off-topic, but I'm sure there is someone cursing me and I also know who IT is. Also my air/conditioning broke, so or I'm cursed or I've become radioactive and breaking every eletronics around me :)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 04:30:47 AM by +Ciaran+ »
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 08:08:16 AM »
My comp came out when nwn did so shh! *Fumes about his horrible comp*

Chrisman888

• The Man Of The Hour
  • Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 09:27:47 AM »
I had RealTek before ( It is garbage) but I never had a single problem with NwN because of it.

Also, I am not sure why disabling Video RAM Cachable would work, I have a small general Idea but it's what I did on my old computer when I had these crashes and it worked perfectly after.

This also might be the problem, not sure if you did it yet but give it try.

1) Shut down Neverwinter Nights.
2) Browse to the folder where you installed Neverwinter Nights (where nwmain.exe resides).
3) Find and open the file nwnplayer.ini.
4) Look for the option "Client CPU Affinity" under the [Game Options] heading. If the option isn't there, then add it under the [Game Options] heading.
5) Change the entry Client CPU Affinity=-1 to Client CPU Affinity=0
6) Save the changes.
7) Start up Neverwinter Nights.

Sometimes you can end up crashing a lot because of your quad core PC, NwN doesn't run well on multiple PC's.

~ Chris

Current Characters:
- Horatiu Milosovici (Barovian)
- Garbhan Macduff (Forlon)

Pepchko

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 12:26:02 PM »
 I have the same sort of issue, after a certain amount of time I start to see corrupted textures, and will crash very shortly after that.  It started after one of the critical updates, I went from one crash per week, to one every two hours or so.
  I'm assuming it's a conflict between vista and my graphics drivers, to do with how ATI cards handle texturing.  Since it seems to be a vista problem not one with my card, new drivers don't help in my case.

I'm curious if this is similar to your problem, Heretic.

i stopped downloading those critical updates. they always cause problems for me.

my computer turns 10 in February and i have 0 problems with it. i do constant maintenance on it to keep it that way, and i never let it do windows updates. i usually have to do reformats once a year, but this time i said to hell with the service packs and im on my second year with no problems.

just my  :twocents:

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 03:56:38 PM »
Yeah recently had to grab a critical update, my copy is Diamond edition. I still crash!  :MadBlow:

Pepchko

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 04:22:16 PM »
im also on XP and use Diamond Edition. possibly could be the problem. some driver/software conflict with the Critical update perhaps

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 04:57:41 PM »
I'm telling ya, it's that realtek junk. I'll buy you a pizza if disabling it doesn't work! :lol:

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 05:03:03 PM »
Running a stability test at the moment, disabled that Realtek, will see how it goes.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 05:23:57 PM »
oh I forgot to mention, you may need to disable the onboard sound chip in your BIOS as well as the Windows control panel. I had to for my problem.

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 06:26:37 PM »
Ran a test disabling soundboard and ....no crash yet, so it definitely has something to do with the issue. Also disabled it from the bios, something must be conflicting.

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2009, 12:14:42 AM »
Ill take the pizza you dont owe him!

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2009, 11:47:21 AM »
Played lengthily and no crash with the disabling of the realtek, so really confirms Blue's theory. Hope it helps someone with similar issue.

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2009, 02:50:50 PM »
So despite disabling the soundboard, I still had issues. Did some more research on the matter and found this thread:

:arrow: http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=690657&forum=49

Seems the problem is related to ATI cards on one part and certain settings to others. I've tried what was mentioned on that thread, left the game running, and where I would have crashed 8 - 12 times in the interval of that time lapse (5 hours), I didn't crash a single time.

Hope this will help you guys.