Author Topic: Looting under Invisability  (Read 3625 times)

Cursed Ink

• Dark Lord
  • 1# Highest Bounty Winner
Looting under Invisability
« on: September 08, 2009, 07:09:32 AM »
Hey guys,

Im alittle annoyed and im just trying to find out if this is legit or not. Not gunna name names or anything if its bad but, is it in bad taste to just go invisiable, avoid all the enemies and loot a dungeon whether or not someones already in it? Thanks guys.

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
Re: Looting under Invisability
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 07:22:19 AM »
I don't think it's possible. I think looting containers / opening doors breaks invisiblity? As well as monsters having a listen check if someone is moving around nearby under invis. Might be wrong though

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 07:37:24 AM »
It is not illegal, just very very hard to do.  But it is not illegal, its legitimate, if you can pull it off, there is usually a bit of xp for the sneak even. It is not against the rules.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 08:00:12 AM »
actually there's a lot of xp to be made with it :) And yes, if you are invisible, you trigger move silently checks.
Has been described as a sometimey player

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 08:11:55 AM »
Without going too big into details, every item you pick up loot will incur penalties to your rolls, and its based on the item you are picking up. You will have to have a very good Move Silently (and Hide without invisibility) to even stand a chance, and probably need some luck on the rolls too. Even picking an herb incurs a -8 on the rolls. To make it even harder, sometimes i have picked an herb in a room full of enemies and passed like 30 rolls, and they still head over in your direction and follow you for a short distance. If you can succeed at it, the challenge justifies the XP, and many times its much easier to just take out the monsters as you go, but its awesome to be able to play the sneak if you want to try your luck.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 08:23:11 AM by Emomina »

jugnaut

• Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 08:31:27 AM »
I thought Ninja looting was against the rules? Or is it just bad etiquette since you're screwing over the folks that actually kill all those hard monsters?

Mortimer-uber hin
Istvan Csapek-"hm hm hm"
Erik Draven-Ezra's Anchorite
Kalmah-Ex-Vardo

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 09:46:02 AM »
Completely not against the rules and only considered bad eitiquette on an individual by individual basis.

vlowe72

• Undead Master
  • If you bore me, I shall take my revenge.
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 10:02:22 AM »
I'd imagine that this would be a lot of fun... you're hip deep in monsters, one little noise will bring them down on you... open the chest, carefully.... carefully.  Bang!  Aughhhh!  I think this would be a lot more heart pounding than fighting your way through the old fashioned way.  IMO  if a sneak has the skills to pull it off, he's welcome to the stuff.

Still... it is indeed frustrating to fight your way through a dungeon and find all the loot gone.  But that's the breaks sometimes.

And now ladies and gentlemen comes the time where I relieve you of the burden of your failed and useless lives.  But if you gotta go, go with a smile!

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 10:14:54 AM »
with invisibility and a summon its one of the easiest things possible

it breaks Gsanctuary and it breaks stealth, but not invisibility
and the monsters just charges to the last place you failed a MS check

but if you even a minor amount of attention your completly risk free
only danger is monsters in corridors and near doors

Mrjunkie

• Dark Lord
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 10:15:27 AM »
Ninja'ing is not illigal as stated, using invis to ninja is easyer than trying to ninja as a full blood sneak.

I do think it should be changed back that unlocking/opening chests should break invis.
The checks and monsters darting in your direction makes little difference unless they surround you so you cant move.

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 11:39:55 AM »
in my experience, they even will take a swing at you occasionally (and you benefit from concealment) even when you passed all rollls. I absolutely love the challenge, and i fail just as often as succeed, and end up having to fight something. Its not that you dont want to fight and just get the gear, because if you have good enough MS and H to sneak a dungeon, then you also most likely can pwn said dungeons inhabitants.  And killing the monsters and taking the loot is great, but that takes both rewards away, so at least the xp is there for the taking. Also, i love fighting though a decent spawn and not finding loot. If there is 100% expectancy of loot as a reward it would be boring and too video gamish. Having a chance of no reward even while populated makes a dungeon more unpredictable.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 11:58:52 AM »
You get exp from doing something like this?

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 12:06:28 PM »
Yes, though it's with a lot of conditions that determines whether there's a real risk involved.

As for ninja-looting, it is legal, but of course still has to serve the general rule of showing other people respect. If you run ahead of a group adventuring through a dungeon only to snatch the loot and never show yourself, I think that's fair to say that this isn't being very respectful to the other players experience.

Cursed Ink

• Dark Lord
  • 1# Highest Bounty Winner
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 04:07:59 PM »
Thanks for the info, just had to check before I made a comment to someone I shouldnt :D

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 11:38:31 PM »
"All right i ninja my way all the way to the bosses chest" [Picks lock dc 60] "sweet i got it now to look inside" ....."WHAT 4 FANGS AND A RUSTY FORK!!!!!!!"

Personally other than the xp for picking it that you could have gotten anyways by just killing the monsters I dont see the point.

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 12:42:41 AM »
That rusty fork is a 1d2 +2 dc14 venom fork just so you know!

Pepchko

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 12:49:25 AM »
while we are on the topic of ninja's

for you viewing pleasure

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_tX20OJ344[/youtube]

ok back on topic  :mrgreen:

jugnaut

• Dark Lord
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2009, 11:11:02 AM »
in my experience, they even will take a swing at you occasionally (and you benefit from concealment) even when you passed all rollls. I absolutely love the challenge, and i fail just as often as succeed, and end up having to fight something. Its not that you dont want to fight and just get the gear, because if you have good enough MS and H to sneak a dungeon, then you also most likely can pwn said dungeons inhabitants.  And killing the monsters and taking the loot is great, but that takes both rewards away, so at least the xp is there for the taking. Also, i love fighting though a decent spawn and not finding loot. If there is 100% expectancy of loot as a reward it would be boring and too video gamish. Having a chance of no reward even while populated makes a dungeon more unpredictable.

Nice try to justify stealing from folks that do the hard work lol ;)  It sucks so bad to fight your way through a hard dungeon only to find that someone has snuck through and stolen the loot.  Happened to me again today while I was fighting shadows.  Someone had to have seen me and still took it while hidden.  Very bad etiquette.  

Mortimer-uber hin
Istvan Csapek-"hm hm hm"
Erik Draven-Ezra's Anchorite
Kalmah-Ex-Vardo

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2009, 01:28:32 AM »
Make a thread calling for ninja looting to be outlawed then. I would point out that there are times that monsters will be present and not loot, and that has nothing to do with whether or not someone had ninja looted, spawns are wierd like that sometimes. I challenge anyone to try to ninja loot themselves, though, might give you a different perspective. It can not be stated enough that it is easier to fight through the monsters than to sneak past them. No one is getting an easy ride from this. It only takes one dissenting voice to not like something for the system to be changed though. Start a thread and see how many would like to see ninja looting to go bye bye. I think being angry about something like this is petty, but that is just my opinion. I have never been someone to bother anyone by stealthing ahead of them, and never been a victim of it either, so dont think its ruining anything, and it would be a shame to lose a fun thing to do with a stealth built character.

eyeofpestilence

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2009, 01:43:53 AM »
Seriously agree. To open a lock causes a penalty of half the lock DC against MS checks, even if your invisible, with full range of hearing. That 46 lock DC means -23 to MS. Most PC's can't do it even with decent gear. Especially when you add the monsters listens which affects the DC's you need to beat. These can range into the 30's and 40's. Killing the spawn, even for most sneakers, is easier then ninja looting. If I see someone entering the dungeon or heading towards I give them an ooc heads up if I had been there. But as Emomina says, sometimes loot just doesn't spawn.

Thanks DW!

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2009, 04:59:36 AM »
Yes I've been told vaguely it's something dealing with chests not closed after looting them at a previous passage which can cause the loot not spawning again. I may have understood wrong, but as a matter of fact sometimes simply loot is not there, even with locked chests.
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2009, 05:37:29 AM »
Yes I've been told vaguely it's something dealing with chests not closed after looting them at a previous passage which can cause the loot not spawning again. I may have understood wrong, but as a matter of fact sometimes simply loot is not there, even with locked chests.

I seen this least half a dozen times in wererat lair indeed.

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2009, 11:48:53 PM »
Um ninjaing is ungodly easy with invis...You fail the checks all they do is run at you just move and threat fixed.

failed.bard

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2009, 12:31:46 AM »
Um ninjaing is ungodly easy with invis...You fail the checks all they do is run at you just move and threat fixed.

Ungodly easy was GS ninja-looting, but that was removed as an option.  Invis ninja-looting is just ridiculously easy.

Kaspar

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2009, 03:44:21 AM »
My level 15 cleric still dies from invis looting every now and then. :P

~Vasile