You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Armor/weapons lifespan system suggestion  (Read 1037 times)

Kilaana

• Undead Slayer
Armor/weapons lifespan system suggestion
« on: September 02, 2009, 09:56:08 PM »
Right. In an off-shoot from the Crossbows thread, I was basically throwing about the idea of giving armor/weapons a certain lifespan. Not only will this give game play a bit more realism, but also to heighten the role of smithing/alchemy/bowyery/armor-craft/whatnot in the community. I also mentioned this might be a bit too much of a micro-management issue, as we certainly do not wish to remove the element of fun, which is why we all log in here in the first place. So...I would like to know your opinions on this.

LawfulJoe suggested:

it does kinda suck for the REALLY good armor that you spent or risked a ton for, but it does take a beating, but what if an Armor smith could also repair an armor, reseting the countdown on an armors lifespan.

I thought that was a great idea, and give players more reason to be putting their money to good use.  :) Though to avoid frustrating players, the deteoriaration of armor/weapons should be over a reasonable period of time. The other concern I'd have is how, and whether or not, alchemical varnishes and smears will affect the deteoriaration rate, if at all? I'm no scripter, but I can imagine there'd be a few problems in implementing such a system.

A very basic script has already been created back in 2004 for "Weapon/Armor/Item Breakage", but going by the user comments, it seems some tweaking is in order; I'll post the link here anyway for the Devs if they're in any way interested in exploring this idea further. Note that the below script was designed for HOTU 1.62 however.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Scripts.Detail&id=617

Cheers.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 10:07:10 PM by Kilaana »
Sig by Blacky Rose

"She is dangerous; What will you do? ....I will make her my queen."

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
Re: Armor/weapons lifespan system suggestion
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 10:43:12 PM »
I don't know. It would not be too much of a pain I think.... IF you could actually be guaranteed of finding a smith when you need one. I've been looking in game for a smith for about a RL month now and never seem to be able to get a hold of one. If I was relying on finding a smith to get armor and weapons repaired It would...............not be so fun.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

PolarSam

• New to the Mists
Re: Armor/weapons lifespan system suggestion
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 11:09:46 PM »
I don't know how well this idea would work, but just to entertain the idea:

An NPC that does repairs would be good, to keep from having the above problem. PCs could charge less so they'd still get business.