You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Why would I bother to post my opinion? [complain / moaning]  (Read 3860 times)

Maa Durgha

• Outlander
  • Jaya - ViJaya
Why would I bother to post my opinion? [complain / moaning]
« on: August 29, 2009, 08:02:31 AM »
Hi all,

Here is my honest opinion about the "feeling exausted system".  - I find it ridiculous. -

Why?

:arrow: Sounds an excuse to prevent many areas to be clean quickly;

:arrow: Is also another mean to the characters do not develop - what you consider fast;

:arrow: A way to conduct to more RP. Not leaving options to High Level characters adventure often. (Yup my char level 13 fights and after three minutes is already exausted)

:arrow: According to DD III rules a score of 10 Constitution / 10 Strengh is similar to a normal human. Now with magical bonus ... strengh and constitution go up to 23 sometimes 25 and const can reach 15 ... that means, according the rules that nwn is set on ... 23 strengh it's a ridiculous strengh. So it doesn't make sense that you with a ridiculous strengh and constitution get exausted so quickly.    
NWN User name: Purple_Red

"Please forgive my nonsense, as I forgive the nonsense of those who think they speak sense"

kyoung2200

• Undead Slayer
Re: Why would I bother to post my opinion? [complain / moaning]
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 08:05:45 AM »
The system is actually based off of constitution, and some class feats.  So with a high con, you will get exhausted FAR less.
::No longer posting under this account.  Using account named Swiftar::

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 02:13:29 PM »
I find the system to act odd. I Seen chars get extremely exhausted to lose the exhaustion in the middle of battle.

Have it been revamped to act more frequently? Cause I barely seen it before.  :)

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 03:25:47 PM »
Actually i find that it makes spiders alot more deadly. They bite you and loose str or con. Then exhaustion pops in right after that so its a double wammy cant run to get away because of the low score due to posion and cant fight because  your at such a minus due to exhaustion.  Personally to me I find that it takes the enjoyment out of some encounters.

“In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power… Green Lantern’s light!”

Kaldo

• Outlander
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 04:26:29 PM »
 I actually like the fact that there is exhaustion although I don't understand very well the system. I soppose it has to do with your weight and constitution. I do think it is good if it is that way.
 A common human being has 10 to con, but a fighter from Medieval Era had about 14 Con and 14 Str, and then he would use his Full plate armor only for battle. True that the armor is not a disvantage as most people think (At least people I know) but if you were going to a a battle in Africa for example, you would not go with a Full Plate. In the middle of the battle you would be too exhausted to keep fighting, that's why in Africa most people (nobles of course) used a chainmail.
 Now, of course Barovia is not Africa, but even then the plate armor would be to heavy for you to be walking around with it. Specially running around with it like most people do (Except Fossick  :lol:). Yes you can run with an armor, but it is not that easy.

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 05:37:12 PM »
Or if your trained to wear armor for long peroids of time and have 16 str 12 con to be able to put up with the strain then its perfectly fine to wear full plate unless your one of thous t-shirt and shorts = fullplate kinda person... *fumes*

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 06:44:50 PM »
The system is actually based off of constitution, and some class feats.  So with a high con, you will get exhausted FAR less.

That's odd... My 16 Con dwarf gets exhausted running down from Dvergeheim. (Makes sense, but is annoying regardless)

Then again, I'm constantly teetering on my encumberance limit, because of all the RP items I drag around... I might dump some of them and see how it goes.

To be honest, the only way to make it NOT effect average Joe Innocent RPer is to make it less punishing, and should you do that, it will no longer be a problem to Bob Manic Dungeoneer who can just take one of PoTM's famous 'Ten second sitting on the floor' rests and negate it. Either way, dosen't end up doing what was intended.

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
  • The Hellrabbits are watching you.
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 07:00:57 PM »

That's odd... My 16 Con dwarf gets exhausted running down from Dvergeheim. (Makes sense, but is annoying regardless)

Then again, I'm constantly teetering on my encumberance limit, because of all the RP items I drag around... I might dump some of them and see how it goes.

To be honest, the only way to make it NOT effect average Joe Innocent RPer is to make it less punishing, and should you do that, it will no longer be a problem to Bob Manic Dungeoneer who can just take one of PoTM's famous 'Ten second sitting on the floor' rests and negate it. Either way, dosen't end up doing what was intended.

This is partly why Werner is always encumbered. (The other part is his scythe...) He carries around a library that ideally he would have stashed somewhere. :(

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 08:28:06 PM »
I actually like the fact that there is exhaustion although I don't understand very well the system. I soppose it has to do with your weight and constitution. I do think it is good if it is that way.
 A common human being has 10 to con, but a fighter from Medieval Era had about 14 Con and 14 Str, and then he would use his Full plate armor only for battle. True that the armor is not a disvantage as most people think (At least people I know) but if you were going to a a battle in Africa for example, you would not go with a Full Plate. In the middle of the battle you would be too exhausted to keep fighting, that's why in Africa most people (nobles of course) used a chainmail.
 Now, of course Barovia is not Africa, but even then the plate armor would be to heavy for you to be walking around with it. Specially running around with it like most people do (Except Fossick  :lol:). Yes you can run with an armor, but it is not that easy.

:thumbup: Indeed, fullpalte ain't for fancy walking. It is for war and often on a horse. Not that the fullplate was heavy, but I am sure it breaths poorly and if it really was the whole knight deal, chain under plate and all (Or whatever they put on) ...that would be rather annoying.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 06:25:32 AM »
Hmm, by design, it should only penalize for encumbrance if it's above the heavy encumbrance limit. Surprises me that someone would get exhausted simply from running between Dvergeheim and Vallaki though.

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 07:41:21 AM »
Annoyingly for me, I've buffed my little irritable battlemage up to the eyeballs after a full rest, charged into battle, and already been given the first exhausted message, which quickly becomes the second, since he takes quite a while to remember that he's meant to be rolling a d20 and not a d6 for his attack roll.

Maa Durgha

• Outlander
  • Jaya - ViJaya
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 08:17:19 PM »
Here is a scan of the 3.5 edition book - Players Handbook, page 9

YEP I have the book !

Does not make sense ... My character with bonus stay with 15 cons and stay exausted so quickly, 3 real life minutes is not even an hour IC, I think.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 08:23:54 PM by Maa Durgha »
NWN User name: Purple_Red

"Please forgive my nonsense, as I forgive the nonsense of those who think they speak sense"

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 11:25:17 PM »
I want to see more dire weasels!

But seriously, if you're carrying 100lbs (50kg) I'd love to see anyone run for a full 30min (3min by game standards) and not want to pause for a breather... now scale that up to the people carrying 150... 200 and 250lbs of gear as per standard and then fighting monsterous creatures with inhuman strength/speed/resistances etc...

The exaustion system is more lenient than it was and it rarely effects my chars at all, am I doing something wrong by not running across a dozen maps and then engaging in pitched battles with a million dire weasels?

I like the exaustion system for a couple of reasons:

I hate dungeoning and this gives me an excuse not to.

It makes it harder for others to dungeon, giving me more vict... people to RP with

If I -do- end up dungeoning it means we take it slow, thus more RP

It can be a little tiresome at times, but like I've said before: BUY SOME LESSER RESTORE POTIONS!!!!

Fatigued in combat? Sup a potion!
Having to walk everywhere? Sup a potion!
Dire weasels stuck in your anal orifice? Well... you'll need some pliers...

Hit up Nara, Cenarious, Lilliya and many many others for your potions! Do it now! NOW NOW NOW!!!

Oh, any blacksmith can lend you pliers, too... just in case, you know?

*returns to the Dire weasel breeding farm*

Little Lotte

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2009, 12:17:23 AM »
I like it *shrugs*

Rixula

• Undead Slayer
  • The holiness its not in your you fool, its in me!
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 06:25:00 AM »
You can actually fight with the exhaustion system and run far distances, if you know how that is....at first i also whined about the new system but its only a matter of getting used to.

"Sometimes, when you feel alone it is the time when you are most thought of"

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2009, 07:18:46 AM »
Not many RP being exhausted so then they have to program it in! ;) Some times its a bit crazy but things goes slower now and slow I like it that way. Calmer, relaxing...makes the game less of a stress? ;) Positive sides to it! Heh!

*eye's the dire weasels of Amon-Si, blinking*

Grieyls

• Undead Master
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2009, 10:37:14 PM »
Personally I have had no issue with it bah one incident when it was first implimented. And for everyones info... I have worn Fullplate, once you have all that plating on, you hardly feel the wieght of it. However, any physical excersise tends wear you out quicker than if you were not wearing it. Takes a lot of training to get used to it which is something I assume our chars are doing. After all what are they doing when we are not logged in controlling them? Oh I don't know maybe they are trainging  :P

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 08:11:51 AM »
Pssh we all know they just idly stand thier till we log back in.

Grieyls

• Undead Master
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 08:42:42 AM »
Well you know twiddling your thumbs can count for alot  :mrgreen:

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 09:38:42 AM »
Personally I have had no issue with it bah one incident when it was first implimented. And for everyones info... I have worn Fullplate, once you have all that plating on, you hardly feel the wieght of it. However, any physical excersise tends wear you out quicker than if you were not wearing it. Takes a lot of training to get used to it which is something I assume our chars are doing. After all what are they doing when we are not logged in controlling them? Oh I don't know maybe they are trainging  :P

Yes, the plate does mainly support it's own weight, to a certain extent. Still, I'd like to see someone trying to run up a staircase in it. :P

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 09:54:08 AM »
Takes a lot of training to get used to it which is something I assume our chars are doing. After all what are they doing when we are not logged in controlling them? Oh I don't know maybe they are trainging  :P

Isn't all the "training" for it already covered by needing to have the Heavy Armor Proficiency in order to equip it in the first place?
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Grieyls

• Undead Master
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2009, 06:16:06 AM »
Well yes indeed... But as with most things... If you don't keep up the training then you become lax and the task becomes once again difficult to achieve. ;)

As for running up stairs in full plate... Hmmm, does climbing a ladder count? Cause I did that in Full plate... Wasn't really that hard either. The main issue with Full plate is restricted movement and not it's overall weight ;)

• Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2009, 06:53:03 AM »
I can do a Kart wheel in full plate. My plate wieghs 82 pounds. It not that bulky.

“In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power… Green Lantern’s light!”

Grieyls

• Undead Master
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2009, 11:25:36 PM »
That's the thing though isn't it... You can't really know till you try it yourself. Take it from those who have tried, Full Plate is NOT as cumbersome as you might think.

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2009, 11:02:05 AM »
Whats heavy and annoying is scale... Gah hate that stuff.