Author Topic: Blocking the list at PC selection  (Read 12437 times)

Vokan

Re: Blocking the list at PC selection
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2009, 12:17:01 PM »

Quote from: Rex
Still not a big fan of this simply because, 1.  Folks ain't as secretive as they think they are anyway, and I can spot comparitive levels just by the way people ACT on top of that.  So it's really just not worth it.  2.  See #1.

~Rex

I use this formula:

A character's level is directly correlated with the amount of hours spent, out of a 24 hour day, standing with the [crosses arms] emote outside of the Lady's Rest.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2009, 12:25:01 PM »

Still not a big fan of this simply because, 1.  Folks ain't as secretive as they think they are anyway, and I can spot comparitive levels just by the way people ACT on top of that.  So it's really just not worth it.  2.  See #1.

~Rex

I use this formula:

A character's level is directly correlated with the amount of hours spent, out of a 24 hour day, standing with the [crosses arms] emote outside of the Lady's Rest.

Wait, don't forget your cloak and hood.  One must of course look proper for such things.  This is of course followed by the Feathered Hat thing, and the *sneer* or *rolls eyes* emotes.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
  • The Hellrabbits are watching you.
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2009, 04:44:46 PM »

~Rex

I use this formula:

Wait, don't forget your cloak and hood.  One must of course look proper for such things.  This is of course followed by the Feathered Hat thing, and the *sneer* or *rolls eyes* emotes.

~Rex

Does pacing around calling people fools count?
Cause otherwise, everyone's favorite Falkovnian wizard would be like level 2.
Although it won't mean much soon, since he's likely to be dead.

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2009, 07:07:26 PM »

~Rex

I use this formula:

~Rex

Does pacing around calling people fools count?
Cause otherwise, everyone's favorite Falkovnian wizard would be like level 2.
Although it won't mean much soon, since he's likely to be dead.
:thumbup: :thumbup:

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2009, 05:33:25 AM »
NWNX is a third party (user made) utility to add increased functionality to the NWserver application. Since we didn't want to rely on it priorly, given that NWN itself was still itself being developed, we've not been using it. At this point though, it's not out of the question that we could change that, but it depends on a lot of factors.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2009, 01:22:36 AM »
Oh, I was thinking that NWNX was like LETO and Windows only, which is why you weren't using it.  I guess it's for anything (major) then?

DM Nocturne

• Sanguis Noctis
  • Dark Power
  • Vampires don't do dishes
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2009, 06:23:11 PM »
I agree with hiding the levels (and/or classes) off the login playerlist.

I would imagine it does in fact cause people to roleplay differently to you if they know how powerful (or weak) you are. They may not even be aware that they do it.

The only disadvantage I can think of is that it might take longer for you to find friends that are similiar to your class or level for adventure and roleplay.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2009, 11:05:53 PM »
*thumbs up*

Verelius Magnus

• New to the Mists
  • The Order of Zarus
    • Order of Zarus
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2010, 02:07:43 PM »
*casts Animate Dead*

It seems like before this thread went dead the entire server was like OH YEAH LETS DO THIS and then nobody went through with it.  I just want to bring the issue back up because I feel it's a problem that should be addressed.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 02:09:17 PM by Verelius Magnus »
Order of Zarus Forums

Verelius Magnus - Zarusian Namebearer

"We go where we will. We slay who we will. Let our Lord judge the righteousness of our deeds."

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2010, 02:14:38 PM »
most people dont spend as much time watching the levels on the playerlist, and it was never said by Soren that it would be blocked. There are alot of other things that they should spend their time on instead

Taty

• Dark Power
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2010, 03:18:46 PM »
That said, it can be done, I've seen it elsewhere, and it would help monsters with meta gamaing, so if ever the time presents itself, it seems a worthy persuit.

~Taty~
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 03:24:18 PM by Taty »

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2010, 03:19:55 PM »
most people don't spend as much time watching the levels on the playerlist, and it was never said by Soren that it would be blocked. There are alot of other things that they should spend their time on instead

I don't think blocking the list would take several hours of scripting, I'll take a shot and say that this could be implemented in one day of work, maybe less if such script or some instruction would be available on the vault or whatever. I think this only enhances the ghotic feeling. I know we can't use OOC info, but this is automatic OOC knownledge, I won't use the information for my benefit, but there on the deep bottom of my mind I'll always know that such PC is this and that, so if I ever plan to face that PC in combat, of course I'll be prepared according to that PC characteristics(this is the exception to the rule of not using the knownledge). I know this is wrong, but don't deny people would do it, because they do. If I know PC "X" is a Wizard why would I prepare myself with spells better suited for a duel versus a fighter?

I even go as far and presume that some MPC bounce off and online to check if they possible prey is "Level what" and "class who".

I am all in favor of hiding this OOC knownledge.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2010, 03:28:27 PM »
By the way, this should be the next top 1# priority IMO. All for the good mysterious and macabre ghotic experience.

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2010, 03:38:32 PM »
To be honest I don't see great changes coming in the overall game there. I am sure there would be more interesting things to do than this. My two cents, as usual not even worth that much either :)
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2010, 03:59:59 PM »
To be honest I don't see great changes coming in the overall game there. I am sure there would be more interesting things to do than this. My two cents, as usual not even worth that much either :)

I agree, I there are lost more things you could to that would better enhance the atmosphere, being able to change cloak appearance for instance.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2010, 04:36:52 PM »

I agree, I there are lost more things you could to that would better enhance the atmosphere, being able to change cloak appearance for instance.

a cooking/backing craft for one [nods nods]

tears_of_elysium

• Outlander
  • Waiting, Watching, Slowly Taking Form
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2010, 04:52:32 PM »
There are two ways to do this. One is for every player to download an override which does it, obviously this option relies on player participation and individuals doing it on their own volition, if such an override was included in the Ravenloft downloads or incorporated into the custom GUI, I can't see it being too much effort, for an obvious reward. I don't think anyone can name any negatives to this being done, other than listing more important priorities, which isn't really an argument against something, more for doing other things first.

The other way as people have noted in this thread is NWNx, which is the linux server version, for some reason I believe it doesn't show the list by default, which as Taty is probably thinking of occurs on Escape from the Underdark: Archipelago, for example. The only issue with this would be that it would require changes on the server end, and I have no idea how complicated this would be for the admins to do.

Would it be possible for the Community Council or DM team to look into this and come back with a ruling or some guidance as to whether or not this is plausible?

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2010, 05:37:36 PM »
Right, perhaps it is not so important, gotta agree. Still I'd like to see this anytime soon.

Lockleed

« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2010, 03:42:12 AM »
I played on EfU (Escaped from the Underdark) for awhile, great server, had some really unique ideas and scripting.  As to the lack of login information of the player base, it led to much more interesting scenarios.  Really interesting dealing with other players when you've got no idea just what they are really capable of.  In game some of this would become pretty obvious with learning IC information, reputations for example, and if applied here on PotM it would also.  Especially with the heavilly established characters with more of a reputation. 

As to whether its worth it on PotM?  It would of been awesome back in the days when casters were being seriously persecuted.  Cut down on the MPCs getting meta'd because folk logging in notice they have a werewolf or bat portrait suddenly.  It would also tone down some of the PvP.  People are less willing to engage in crazy random (and possibly lethal) combat if they've got no idea just what they are facing.  Call it the "I don't know if I can pwn this guy or not" syndrome.  But the older people wouldn't see the real results of this kind of a system change for about three to six months.  Right now the established players already know just where everyone else sits, more or less; OOCly.  Newbie players just coming to the server would have a lot of interesting surprises, though.

Don't know for sure if I advocate it or not, since I don't know how much bother the changeover would be.  I'd say its probably worth it, long run.

Aldarris

• Dark Lord
  • The Anti-Stalinist
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2010, 04:18:20 AM »
Add this and the cloak alteration NPC to the list of things that would greatly improve the experience of the server.

Seems most everyone feels this will be a good thing, and those who disagree seem neutral.

I think it's a good idea.  But like few people tell me, it's not what I think really.

Perhaps a poll would be nice for things like this?
Figures, Soren's too busy to do something positive.  He thinks putting a smiling face in every message is positivity.

Heretic is a terrible player, always has been.  No wonder PoTM numbers are dwindling *sigh*

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2010, 04:23:13 AM »
I'd personally love to see it, but the issue is that for proper implementation, it requires NWNx, something that we for security reasons likely won't install.

tears_of_elysium

• Outlander
  • Waiting, Watching, Slowly Taking Form
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2010, 05:34:44 AM »
So what of the option to do the custom override, or possibly integrate it into the custom Ravenloft files at download, Zara? Do you know much about that possibility?

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2010, 05:37:16 AM »
So what of the option to do the custom override, or possibly integrate it into the custom Ravenloft files at download, Zara? Do you know much about that possibility?

The problem is that haks aren't loaded before after the player login screen, so it wouldn't affect that. We could stick it in to our override GUI, but that'll mean we'll sort of penalize those that install our GUI and it'll be very easy to circumvent too.

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2010, 08:04:47 AM »
Is it possible to add the Gui as a server hak?

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2010, 09:06:35 AM »
Is it possible to add the Gui as a server hak?

Don't know, but maybe some people play on different servers, those servers may have their own GUI, or even, people may like the original GUI better.

This would only work(in an acceptance level) if we had the option of having the PotM GUI Hak and the Normal GUI Hak, both with the trickeries to hide player list details.