You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Blocking the list at PC selection  (Read 12436 times)

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
Blocking the list at PC selection
« on: August 27, 2009, 06:09:41 PM »
hello,

I have played on a few other servers that do not have the class and levels visible for seeing at the player selection. I have not been here to know how much this would be used against other characters, I just started here and I like it so far :) but anyways, as this is a Gothic horror setting would it not be better not knowing if the person was a wizard or a sorcerer. or if they were high level or not.  I think this might be an improvement to the server, but again I am still learning the server.

I am not sure if this would be possible, I know it is possible on non-haked servers I play on before, but I am not sure if ravenlofts haks would interfere with this or not.

~herkles~

Undead_Cowgirl

Re: Blocking the list at PC selection
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 07:04:15 PM »
Totally seconded and I have been here awhile.

robbythedude

• Outlander
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 07:08:56 PM »
I third this Idea.

Kaspar

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 07:13:00 PM »
I fourth, fifth, sixth this. Though only if the only things hidden would be levels/classes. I'd still like to know who's online when I check the player list, be it DM I'd need to contact, or another player.  :)

~Vasile

Taty

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 08:59:09 PM »
hello,

I have played on a few other servers that do not have the class and levels visible for seeing at the player selection. I have not been here to know how much this would be used against other characters, I just started here and I like it so far :) but anyways, as this is a Gothic horror setting would it not be better not knowing if the person was a wizard or a sorcerer. or if they were high level or not.  I think this might be an improvement to the server, but again I am still learning the server.

I am not sure if this would be possible, I know it is possible on non-haked servers I play on before, but I am not sure if ravenlofts haks would interfere with this or not.

~herkles~

I suggested this awhile back, I think it is something very difficult to do if at all possible. The advantages are obvious, it would certainly cut down on problems for new monsters. I see no downside.
~Taty~

hugolino

• Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 02:42:35 AM »
I agree wholeheartedly.

arrmuth

• Undead Master
  • Honor is everything.
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 02:49:45 AM »
Agreed. Very good idea.

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 04:00:16 AM »
Nobody would disagree with this as an option.

Yet I do not know how it can be feasible
Has been described as a sometimey player

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 06:50:29 AM »
Yeah I recently noticed a non hak server having this. I'm gonna suggest it on the next dev meet :)

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
  • The Hellrabbits are watching you.
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 07:08:25 AM »
Nobody would disagree with this as an option.

Yet I do not know how it can be feasible
I'll disagree with it. Just cause I play Werner and he's mean.

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 07:28:10 AM »
In a way, it would help by making me ignorant, and hence, blissful, of the silent unpreaching Clerics, which would certainly reduce my mental bile.

Sounds good.

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 08:24:48 AM »
Well then it isnt very hard to pick out mages and high to low levels to be honest and I never use the player list the games that do use it seem to die out mostly due to the peoples inabilty to find any one the place is gigantic much like potm so perhaps a rethought version of it rather then take it all away.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 11:09:27 AM »
Well then it isnt very hard to pick out mages and high to low levels to be honest and I never use the player list the games that do use it seem to die out mostly due to the peoples inabilty to find any one the place is gigantic much like potm so perhaps a rethought version of it rather then take it all away.

What? What is it you want?

And there should be no tool to see where people are via the player list. That is metagaming.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 11:53:03 AM »
Wouldn't phase me one bit.  I can tell who's what, simply by the way they act.  Folks aren't as secretive as they think they are.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

marlewebber

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 12:06:25 PM »
Less automatic OOC knowledge ?  That would equal more in character intrigue!

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2009, 12:16:22 PM »
Less automatic OOC knowledge ?  That would equal more in character intrigue!

On the other hand it could also make things more difficult because most folks here can't be bothered by filling out an "rp nudge" description......So the more you remove, the more difficult it can get as well.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2009, 12:25:44 PM »
I thought it would make sense for the setting of Gothic horror. Anyways can one not modify their bio ingame now, thanks to the 1.69 patch? I know that when i made elaine that I did not really give her a description,though I would if i could do it IG.

Insomnia

• Undead Master
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009, 02:11:58 PM »
You can.

Type

@description This is my PC, she's purty. High Cha!

Or whatever description. Cheers!

robbythedude

• Outlander
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2009, 03:41:40 PM »
You can.

Type

@description This is my PC, she's purty. High Cha!

Oh Wow..
I did not know that! Thanks  :D

Anyways, I'm still supporting this idea.
Would make the PvP a little more Dangerous and Intriguing.

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2009, 05:49:35 PM »
Well, I've never been one for basing my actions on character level.

One of the funniest things I've seen was when Aliss was stopping people leaving the inn if they weren't armed and in a small group, and even stopped a level 20 going out via means of her Cane.

My only problem with this is that it will stop anyone even having any possible guilt about not playing their class, thus possibly cause more civilsed barbarians, atheist Clerics, and chainmail/axe Druids to appear.

Offtopic:

Spoiler: show

You can.

Type

@description This is my PC, she's purty.

In my experience, the Examine tool is 50% likely to show a Charisma of 8 on these people.  :roll:

Wish I could switch Fossicks description very slightly to reflect that I actually spent points in Charisma despite no mechanical benefit... He should be Dwarven Cassanova by these standards.  :lol:

Chrisman888

• The Man Of The Hour
  • Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2009, 06:25:27 PM »
1 billion % agree with this idea.

~ Chris
Current Characters:
- Horatiu Milosovici (Barovian)
- Garbhan Macduff (Forlon)

Dreaderick

• Dark Lord
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2009, 01:31:00 AM »
Interesting idea! It would reduce metagaming. And total strangers will stop pestering me with rez requests. And newly turned monsters will remain much more secretive, which is about their only protection, especially if the portraits next to the names can also be hidden.

I hope you have not been leading a double life, pretending to be wicked and being really good all the time. That would be hypocrisy. - Oscar Wilde

arrmuth

• Undead Master
  • Honor is everything.
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2009, 01:51:02 AM »
Interesting idea! It would reduce metagaming. And total strangers will stop pestering me with rez requests. And newly turned monsters will remain much more secretive, which is about their only protection, especially if the portraits next to the names can also be hidden.
That goes two ways. Monster PCs wont be able to target others that they know they can defeat.So in other words just like real life.

robbythedude

• Outlander
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2009, 05:04:07 AM »
That goes two ways. Monster PCs wont be able to target others that they know they can defeat.So in other words just like real life.

And we don't want this game exactly like Real Life!
or at least that is why I play this game, cause it's not Real Life!  :roll:

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2009, 05:33:30 AM »

And we don't want this game exactly like Real Life!
or at least that is why I play this game, cause it's not Real Life!  :roll:

It wont really be like real life you know if you take it away?

It's like going with your football team to meet another team, you will have their goals and assists up on that list ;)  :lol: