You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Suggested feat to balance subrace skill points  (Read 1982 times)

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
Suggested feat to balance subrace skill points
« on: August 22, 2009, 09:25:36 PM »
I would like to propose a feat that should be applicable to any sub race with an increased INT modifier as it's the only stat bonus that never gives its full potential to the character (except possibly WIS and spells, but that could be for another topic). For all intents and purposes it's the Skilled feat normally attained by Human chars at level 1.

Sub Race Skill Bonus
Attained at: Level 2 (when the character is skinned by the DM) or Level 3 (first level up after skinning)
Prerequisites: Sub Race with an Intelligence modifier of +2 and a nonhuman base race
Specifics:
If attained at level 2: Grants the character 5 additional skill points and then another 1 per level

If attained at level 3: Grants the Character 6 Additional skill points and another 1 per level from then on

This type feat could also be applied to characters who have their Intelligence artificially, but permanently enhanced:

Dark Power Skill Bonus:
Attained upon gaining a +2/+4/+6 int bonus via a failed Dark power check
Prerequisites: Acts of Evil!!!!
Specifics:
Grants the character 1/2/3 additional skill point(s) per level (NOT RETROACTIVELY)

Note that the subrace skill bonus feat does not apply to those with a human base race as they already gain the Skilled feat upon creation.

I thought these feats would be an interesting addition and should be very easy to implement based, as they are, on an existing feat.

Questions, comments, accusations of me being Biased because I have Drow chars? Bring it on.  :pbbbtt: But please no derailment  :roll:

Smitehammer

• Undead Slayer
  • Frohe Weihnachten
Re: Suggested feat to balance subrace skill points
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 09:34:10 PM »
Arelith figured out a way to give subraces hard bonuses as soon as they choose the subrace, and then give them the extra skill points missed out on creation.  So it's possible to do.  Also, what's nice about that is the stats are 'real' so you can buff higher.  With the bonuses added to the skin or whatever it still counts toward the maximum buffery.  You could probably get the scripter guy to unveil his secrets.  He's pretty cool with stuff like that.
Wouldn't the world be better off if we took nonsense more seriously?

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 11:55:26 PM »
i second this. i am missing some 6 odd skill points from my level 3 character, every level it will lose another. Its a good idea.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

failed.bard

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 11:59:38 PM »
  The modificatios from sub-races, and DPs especially, would make the character validation process nearly impossible, from my understanding, if applied as permanent modifiers.  With the current set-up, it would mean a DM would have to temporarily "fix" your character every time you logged in.

Smitehammer

• Undead Slayer
  • Frohe Weihnachten
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 12:11:31 AM »
Not the way Arelith does it.  Not sure how they do it, but it seems to work fine.
Wouldn't the world be better off if we took nonsense more seriously?

Maryn

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 01:20:34 AM »
  The modificatios from sub-races, and DPs especially, would make the character validation process nearly impossible, from my understanding, if applied as permanent modifiers.  With the current set-up, it would mean a DM would have to temporarily "fix" your character every time you logged in.

Not the way Arelith does it.  Not sure how they do it, but it seems to work fine.

Note the two key phrases highlighted in the first quote.  :) We have a Ravenloft specific character validation process if I understand correctly, so with the current setup it would not work, even if it works on Arelith.

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 01:30:57 AM »
creating a custom feat that added skill points/level would be a fix that is possible though.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 01:42:18 AM »
I was trying to suggest a fix for this that would fit easily into our current system and require minimum effort.

Maryn

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 02:02:09 AM »
I agree a custom feat sounds the simplest, although I'm not the best judge of something like this.