Author Topic: Direct Connect = Lag Reduction?  (Read 2626 times)

Khuzadrepa

• Undead Slayer
Direct Connect = Lag Reduction?
« on: August 15, 2009, 09:58:27 AM »
I've heard and read (including from this forum, in fact) folks say that using Direct Connect reduces lag because you are bypassing Gamespy.

It makes a certain amount of sense if that is true, as you would be making fewer network jumps (most likely) if you are indeed bypassing Gamespy.

Is this how it works? Are there any lag issues serverside? Or is it client lag only that it reduces?

Thanks for any input in advance! :)
aka Warreck Banevich
Dogma of the Morninglord: "Justice comes to all evildoers eventually, not by man's laws, but by your hand and the tortuous paths of fate."

Budly

• Dark Power
Re: Direct Connect = Lag Reduction?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 10:41:03 AM »
Thing is when you log onto your account you are using gamespy if I am not wrong so I do not see how it can help :/

Bato

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 06:05:48 PM »
It does reduce lag, I am not sure by how much. But I am sure. Even if only a little.
Just a little for each player building up makes a difference~.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 07:14:02 PM »
Oh then it might be a pretty good thing for most of us to do :)

Chrisman888

• The Man Of The Hour
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 07:18:54 PM »
If someone could explain exactly how it reduces the lag, I would use it more often.

~ Chris
Current Characters:
- Horatiu Milosovici (Barovian)
- Garbhan Macduff (Forlon)

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 10:48:36 PM »
It just does cause beacause YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH! :lol:

Khuzadrepa

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 01:04:19 PM »
Here's a pretty reasonable response I found on the Bioware forum:

"The idea behind direct connect was to give you a way to run a server without having to connect via gamespy. Say, heaven forbid, that gamespy decides to drop support for NWN persistent worlds... no more server lists... well, with direct connect, no worries. You just need to know the ip address of the specific server you wish to connect with.

As to lag... it does save a small amount. But, only if that server is NOT listed on gamespy. IE, if the server owner sets the ini settings to not involve gamespy.

The savings would be from NOT having to constantly update the records on gamespy, and so you would save a few packets of data being sent to them, and save the time waiting on gamespy responses.

Marginal savings at best. Typically, if a PW is having lag issues, it is due to having OTHER problems. Areas too large, too many placeables, non-compiled mdls, hi res graphics, not enough ram on the server, too many players logged in etc... all the above in a non-specific order can affect lag. There are probably many other things that would also affect lag."

This all makes sense to me.  It wouldn't help server overhead much, as RL does broadcast to Gamespy (so new players can find it) but it could help a client keep their ping down a bit.  Not that lag has been much of a problem here since the server upgrade, but it was something I was curious about since I had read it.
aka Warreck Banevich
Dogma of the Morninglord: "Justice comes to all evildoers eventually, not by man's laws, but by your hand and the tortuous paths of fate."

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 01:12:03 PM »
I've noticed not using the mini map makes more of a lag difference for me, then using direct connect or not.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 06:45:08 PM »

The savings would be from NOT having to constantly update the records on gamespy, and so you would save a few packets of data being sent to them, and save the time waiting on gamespy responses.

Translation: A few grains of sand off the beach.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 10:35:37 PM »
Actually, the real translation is that it makes no difference at all.