You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Item-destroying creatures  (Read 10045 times)

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
Item-destroying creatures
« on: August 15, 2009, 07:15:23 AM »
After overhearing the frustrations of players in several occasions when they've lost their weapon fighting puddings or rust monsters, I can't help to wonder if people feel they add something good to the module. Thus, this poll. Keep in mind though, this is only to get a feel of general opinion, and not something decisive.

Feel free to leave comments. :)

Mrjunkie

• Dark Lord
Re: Item-destroying creatures
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 07:48:51 AM »
Nobody likes to lose gear in the game, but its one of the true fears left.

The greatest of clerics, the hardiest of warriors have all been seen running away, screaming like a little girl from a rust monster, black/grey pudding.

It does add an extra element to the game, it keeps you on your toe's, its only unfortunate for those that dont know what these beasties do and lose some equipment. But hey...its Ravenloft, the only way to learn here is the hard way.

eyeofpestilence

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 08:16:35 AM »
I've had a single char loose 6 magic longswords throughout his time being played mostly from DM uber spawned hasted rust monsters. Sure it's frustrating, but it's only a minor set back. As of late there is seeming little for people to fear anymore. Keep something for them to fear. Please!

Thanks DW!

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 08:47:46 AM »
It does keep you on your toes, but it's rather irritating when you attack of opportunity something you would never ever ever attack with your nice, shiny +1 metal blade. I remember in 2nd edition that the chance for a magical weapon being eaten decreased with each enchantment +, but  I'm not sure if that is even taken into account on NwN. And, if it was, I'm pretty sure most of the weapons wouldn't qualify since they are often listed as technically "non magical" on the building templates (due to the extra cost listing them as "magical" brings") and often have + to AB instead of a + to straight enchantment across the board.

Perhaps make it, on here, that the more expensive the weapon, the less likely it is to be destroyed. That would mean they would often survive AoO, but you would be more likely to lose them if you continued to fight with the weapon in question.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 08:54:20 AM »
Keep it, adds to the fear.

And this is wear you can put all those rusty weapons to good use ;)

Little Lotte

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 09:36:00 AM »
I had my sorcerer Maddy lose her spear that she has had since she was a level 3, it was very sentimental to her and she was upset. But me...I thought it was awesome! As junkiejedi said, its the last fear we have left. You learn to put your weapons or strip out of your armor if you decide to fight said puddings or rust monsters. Besides, stripping down while running away from a rust monster always makes for -really- hilarious rp afterwards.

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 09:55:47 AM »
In my opinion, it's OOC fear and not IC fear they add. I simply don't go to such places where a moment of lag can destroy something I've worked so hard to find/trade/obtain. However, I can see how some people would prefer any fear rather than no fear so there you go.
Has been described as a sometimey player

mayvind

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 10:13:32 AM »
I love it, ! I remember how Morag lost her blade then she strip her armor and charge those pesky thing butt naked and fists swinging killing them all bare handed !  :D But i would like to advice DM from using it in random attack, It might lead to misunderstanding that DM out to do harm rather then fun.

But random encounter ! sure let them be ! also like Grims said magical weapon should have less change to dissolve then normal one but should not be immune to it.

P.S magical weapon grow on tree nowaday so losing few of them should not be much of a problem.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 10:15:46 AM by mayvind »

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 10:26:03 AM »
How about this? If it's the standard 10% per + to not being affected, how about have this take effect only after the first or second hit? So their first hit is "free" and their weapon has no chance of rusting from it.

That would give puddings and rust monsters their biggest benefit, keep the fear, but also not screw PCs just because the NwN system rolls their AoO for them even when they don't want it.

Also, not sure about armors, but vestments and other armor bonuses should probably count towards whether the armor gets destroyed.

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 10:30:43 AM »
In my opinion, it's OOC fear and not IC fear they add.

I am thinking that maybe some people only recognize OOC fear. They can not get into IC fear if there is not any OOC fear present.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 10:32:38 AM by Aahz »
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 10:36:16 AM »
Rust monsters are great. and the black puddings. I love having to have a different strategy than run up and hack em. My caliban Krill still doesn't have a silver-gilded axe back since a black pudding destroyed it back in real life May LOL. Losing gear is only as big a deal as you make of it. I like having a mission to do, even if its finding a suitable replacement. And its fun to have your character tell the tale of the pudding eating away at you beloved weapon. Keep them, please.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Little Lotte

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 10:39:03 AM »
Dont change it at all! If your PC is silly enough to fight someone it knows eats your gear...then you deserve it in my book!

This is Ravenloft people, bad things happen! Get used to it!

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 10:44:47 AM »
Dont change it at all! If your PC is silly enough to fight someone it knows eats your gear...then you deserve it in my book!

Well, that's how this conversation got started - a char, who knew not to fight the monsters, ended up getting side-smacked by one. The PC either AoO'ed, or fought back *automatically*, and the player wouldn't have attacked.  It is rather annoying that the system does that... I wish there was a way to select out certain creatures, which you never attack unless you physically put the little sword over the hostiled creature and click it.

I made sure I worked a way in for the character to get a similar weapon (and some other stuff to boot) just so his enjoyment wasn't entirely ruined over a system concern. For people who have tons of weapons and money, it's no big deal. But when you've spent all night killing rats just to be able to buy something and a system flaw chomps it, it's rather annoying.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 10:46:50 AM by kenpen »

Little Lotte

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 10:49:42 AM »

Well, that's how this conversation got started - a char, who knew not to fight the monsters, ended up getting side-smacked by one. The PC either AoO'ed, or fought back *automatically*, and the player wouldn't have attacked.  It is rather annoying that the system does that... I wish there was a way to select out certain creatures, which you never attack unless you physically put the little sword over the hostiled creature and click it.

I made sure I worked a way in for the character to get a similar weapon (and some other stuff to boot) just so his enjoyment wasn't entirely ruined over a system concern. For people who have tons of weapons and money, it's no big deal. But when you're spent all night killing rats just to be able to buy something and a system flaw chomps it, it's rather annoying.

But the only way to provoke an AoO is to run within 5 feet of the creature, so if this person was planning to run past something that they knew could possible eat their weapon/ armor etc. why wouldnt they un-equip?

And the people who have tons of money and weapons also had to start out hunting rats and scrounging for money. Its the natural progression of the server. And Im sure they have all had something they worked hard to get, destroyed one way or another. I had Hallys entire equipped gear eaten by the Snow Beast when she was a level 12...having to save up money and start all over again. It gives you something to do with your time and money lol.

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 10:52:43 AM »

Well, that's how this conversation got started - a char, who knew not to fight the monsters, ended up getting side-smacked by one. The PC either AoO'ed, or fought back *automatically*, and the player wouldn't have attacked.  It is rather annoying that the system does that... I wish there was a way to select out certain creatures, which you never attack unless you physically put the little sword over the hostiled creature and click it.

I made sure I worked a way in for the character to get a similar weapon (and some other stuff to boot) just so his enjoyment wasn't entirely ruined over a system concern. For people who have tons of weapons and money, it's no big deal. But when you're spent all night killing rats just to be able to buy something and a system flaw chomps it, it's rather annoying.

I think that it would be better to keep it how it is and make special cases where a little mercy might be in order. Like a new player, but really players are only new once.  The AoO thing is annoying, but with these monsters, you have a line of sight of them for a while from distance, so you get an opportunity to swtich weapons. Its a nice challenge to have to punch the doombats flying around because the rust monster in right behind them.  Saying that a character that knew not to fight rust monsters still was a victim seems silly, because a rust monster will eat metal, he is after you because of the metal.  So since we are already lenient and dont lose our armor, losing just the weapon and shield equipped seems a fair deal.

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2009, 10:56:48 AM »
Well, that's how this conversation got started - a char, who knew not to fight the monsters, ended up getting side-smacked by one. The PC either AoO'ed, or fought back *automatically*, and the player wouldn't have attacked.  It is rather annoying that the system does that... I wish there was a way to select out certain creatures, which you never attack unless you physically put the little sword over the hostiled creature and click it.

Its the same problem that gets you killed  when you are invisible, cross a transition, end up face to face with a pack of mountain garou's, and auto attack them, thus breaking invisibility, and ends with you getting knockdown spammed to death.

After getting smacked with something like this you come up with ways to avoid it happening again (not having weapons out when transitioning to a map you know has black puddings or rust monsters on it sometimes, or making sure you have some summons along to distract the werewolves that might be there).  Yeah that smacks of metagaming to me a bit but If I have to metagame anyway (I.e. exhaustion levels, adapting to spell alterations, and waiting for dungeons to get to a certain level of spawn) I figure a little in my favor balances everything out.

"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2009, 10:59:57 AM »
I used to just run through the mines naked and beating things with my fists. Made for some funny role-play. Especially when there was a whole party doing it, and you stumble onto a stranger down there...

Oh, and as far as I know, the rust monsters will still eat any armor, regardless whether it's leather or made of wood. Had some enchanted wooden splintmail go out like that.

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2009, 11:01:49 AM »
The spawn was camping the transition, he didn't chose to go near it.

And I'm glad you agree this is OOC fear.
Has been described as a sometimey player

Kaldo

• Outlander
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2009, 11:11:58 AM »
 I think this monsters are ok and should be kept if there is any way to change them like Kenpen said. It is not pleasent when you AoO them or auto-attack. I for example, just entered an area with my weapon, but because someone ran away from the Black Pudding I didn't even have the chance to change to my ranged weapon or uniquip my weapon. it just auto-attacked and puff... my weapon disappeared. Before that, I had a character that lost his weapon fighting them, because I didn't ,IC and OOC, know I would loose my weapon, I didn't bother much even though I lost a good amount of money on it (of course, my bad-tempered dwarf did). But when it isn't your fault it is much worse.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2009, 12:03:05 PM »
for poeple who say it adds somthing    you lie honestly it is indeed ooc fear of loosing your weapon   how many dont go naked hit them or use a bow?

fact is you kill them anyway, and with the new puddles around that are worse then the ochre jellies they flooding the server it is a tad TO easy to loose your gear.

and yes a silver sword is easely replaced but there are rare very very rare weapons and it always pains me to hear or see those vanish into thin air cause some puddle that isnt worth crap and duplecates times fifteen then your serounded and takes ages tog et rid of them and then your exaushted and it will take even longer.

puddles i hate rust monsters...i fear them oocly but the puddles are worse

ps/ it just hit me  if a creature takes the wep and armor....shouldnt it be somwhere? anything and everything has a stomach of some sort
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2009, 12:30:54 PM »
special note...

Puddings will eat equipped swords/shields if struck in combat

Rust Monsters will do the same, but will destroy other gear if they succeed in hitting you with an attack and you fail a save.  Trust me, Daev has lost about a dozen weapons and almost as many suits of armor in his time in the mines.  It very much is a "IC Fear" for him, since half his livelyhood requires him to obtain ore from the mines.  OOCly, I know he can whip the arse of puddings and rusties with his bare hands while naked if need be, but he has to consider the fact that there is a longer journey ahead and figure out means to re-gear and continue with his losses.

There are other options besides "removing" the critters, one server I worked on re-vamped the decay process against weapons/armor into a wear and tear system.  Items gradually became less effective, and players had to have them repaired.  It was normally a slow transition where weapons wouid recieve a -1 to attack/damage at three seperate stages to a total of -3.  Armors would also degrade, but based on armor type the -AC would be limited so you always had some form of AC benefit wearing it.  This was countered by smiths having the means to repair items as well as a new spell added to arcane types at relatively low level - "Mend".  Each repair or Mend spell restored one level of effectiveness to the item.  It was also planned to have an NPC who would do so for a price.   

While I don't expect PotM to adopt this system, maybe it would be worthwhile to consider adjusting the Rust Monster/Pudding scripts so they weaken a weapon(say -1 effect) on the first strike/hit and destroy on the second, giving players a chance to keep the item and having it repaired later without loosing it. 

Sage - When stories come to life

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2009, 12:57:49 PM »
Do one see the broken items in the inventory?

It's pretty awesome that somethings still makes people fear, IC or OOC.

And to say its ooc fear is not DMs, Developers or anything similar fault but the characters we play who have no fears. :)

That slimes can destroy unique items is a bit sad although :( But....that makes people use that rusty sword for a while instead!  :lol:

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2009, 01:03:54 PM »
for poeple who say it adds somthing    you lie honestly it is indeed ooc fear of loosing your weapon   how many dont go naked hit them or use a bow?

Don't know how many do it, but I have fought with a character that had no IC knowledge of a rust monster before and did indeed use the axe and shield, and lost both. Its only gear, good grief.

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2009, 01:31:10 PM »
As far as I can tell, it's mainly a problem for low levels that save up lots of minking cash for a bit of gear, then lose it one way or another. If I lost my Steel Greatsword, I'd shrug it off and make a mental note not to buy any more non-important items for a while to save up a bit more cash.

Been the cause of a lot of IC aggravation for me, but then again my character is in a semi-perpetual state of IC aggravation.

I personally wouldn't go naked to fight them, that's somewhat ridiculous and bordering on OOC. Punching something that dissolves steel is possibly up there on the list of stupidest things you can do, and I'd actually suggest that they get some kind of huge on-hit damage against unarmed things if it weren't for Monks. (Heck, let's just have some Anti-Ooze shuriken drop and we'll be sorted)

Polymorph, summon a creature, use a ranged weapon, cast spells, throw varnishes, and of course run like hell.... There's loads of things you can do.

I vote keep them. I like them being accurate, and I like them presenting a hurdle that you have to cross, and attack them differently. However, the whole 'Go naked and punch the pools of metal-dissolving acid' shouldn't be happening without the person in question taking 20 Acid damage each punch.

Anyone remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KleAd_YdYa4

(Probably NSFW and very violent/disturbing, just so ya know)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 01:39:37 PM by Minstrel »

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2009, 01:59:19 PM »

Don't know how many do it, but I have fought with a character that had no IC knowledge of a rust monster before and did indeed use the axe and shield, and lost both. Its only gear, good grief.

i hope you say the same when you would loose a customised weapon given trough questing.
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company