Author Topic: Lost skills  (Read 1102 times)

PolarSam

• New to the Mists
Lost skills
« on: August 15, 2009, 05:23:29 AM »
I was just looking at my character info after leveling up and I realized I'm missing some skill points.
It looks like when I put 4 ranks into both persuade and bluff at character creation, 4 skill points went down the drain (owing to the max ranks/level cap). I'm wondering, should there be some sort of warning for new players for this, and what should I do, ask a DM for a re-roll? 4 skill points might not seem like much, but I'm now taking some fighter levels and am becoming strapped for skills.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 08:06:49 AM by PolarSam »

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
Re: Lost skills
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 07:11:37 AM »
That's because persuade and bluff have been bundled up into the 'Influence' skill now (For some strange reason).

Likewise, Intimidate and Taunt have undergone a similar, but slightly more logical, conglomeration into Antagonize.

Best just not to spend any skillpoints until second level.

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 08:13:01 AM »
Also if you put skill points into something like tumble at character creation they will jump to appraise or something at the top of the list when you get to level 2.  :?

So your best bet is when you make a character, do not put any points into skills until your are taking your second level in game
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Kaspar

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 05:57:32 PM »
.. Well, this would explain why Shin is missing some skill points. :s

Kni7es

• Outlander
  • Vagabond
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 09:45:42 PM »
I like the way Persuade and Bluff are lumped into Influence, likewise with Antagonize. Otherwise there's far far far too many conversational skills to reasonably split into your character creation. I think I know what the system was influenced by, and it stands a perfect example: Mass Effect. For those of you who have played, how would you feel if you couldn't unlock plots because you didn't have the ranks in Charm and Intimidate, as well as two other ones (let's say "Pedantry" and "Stand-up Comedy" for what it's worth). You'd probably start wanting that good/bad roleplay system back.

Hopefully the DMs can compensate for you guys. Me? I'm a former power gamer. I never put ranks in persuade or bluff to begin with. XD
Underneath this hood... is another hood.