Author Topic: All familiars are 'Dread Companions' right?  (Read 3235 times)

UilliamNebel

• Undead Master
All familiars are 'Dread Companions' right?
« on: August 14, 2009, 09:09:15 AM »
Anyone, other then a Outlander new wizard character who brings their familiar with them to Ravenloft, their familiar if summoned in Ravenloft will be a 'Dread Companion' correct? Still completely loyal to the wizard, and having thier best interest in mind. (In their own twisted way as they scheme to drive the wizard toward their evil side.) But the familiar's moral alignment will always be evil? Or is this Ravenloft rule on familiars not used, enforced or given much attention in PotM? I was going to use it as a key character point, but do not know how PotM handles this.

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
Re: All familiars are 'Dread Companions' right?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 12:24:55 PM »
if you start up as an outlander wizard/sorcerer, it's up to you. If you start as a native wizard/sorcerer or gain your familiar or change your familiar (tricksy NWN) you supposedely have a dread familiar.

However, it's up to you really to rp it as such. Or at least, that's what I was told when I caused a fuss with my aptly named 'Dread Familiar' pixie :p
Has been described as a sometimey player

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 03:24:04 PM »
we didn't implement game mechanics for this, but feel free to roleplay this out if you want :)

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

hugolino

• Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 02:29:44 AM »
On a related note, if someone adds a wizard level after arriving at Ravenloft, should they limit their choice of familiars to the animal life of Barovia? Or where do the familiars come from? I've never played a wizard so I don't really understand the theory behind it.

Similarly, what about those who add Ranger or Druid levels and get animal companions. I know they're not considered Dread Companions in Ravenloft, thankfully, but where do they come from? The local area? Do they follow from the world where the Ranger/Druid came from? Do they come from some other Ravenloft place?

Lastly, where in Barovia can a guy (ranger/druid or wizard) get himself a panther companion/familiar, 'cause I want one... ;)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 02:43:16 AM by hugolino »

Kung Fu Orc

• Supreme Overlord
  • Dark Power
  • Alchoholics Incorperated
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 03:31:28 AM »
Daciana's raven is rather imperious and superior, so yes I see it as her dread companion.

Daciana Varzaru- "If fate is a principle beyond Human comprehension which capriciously torments man, then it is karma that man confront fate with sorcery."

Smitehammer

• Undead Slayer
  • Frohe Weihnachten
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 07:42:46 PM »
I'd think panthers would be common in Sri Raji.  I had a druid from there with a panther.
Wouldn't the world be better off if we took nonsense more seriously?

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »
I'd think panthers would be common in Sri Raji.  I had a druid from there with a panther.
He asked where they could be found in Barovia, not the whole world. :P

In answer to that, panthers aren't native to Barovia. The closest domain that would have them is Valachan.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002