You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: NwN Vista issues  (Read 3571 times)

Rex

• Dark Power
NwN Vista issues
« on: August 07, 2009, 10:27:15 AM »
Alright computer smart people.  Need someone to tell me how to get NwN 1 to actually WORK, on my little brothers laptop.  It's a Dual Core machine, running Visat premium, and it definitly, hates NwN with a passion.
I've exhausted my meager level of neanderthal computer skills with it, so if any of you folks out there got some Ideas, I'm open to discussion. 

Right now, the game will load, but half the time it won't display at all, and then, the game shuts down.  No clue what's going on *shrugs*, but I'm an inch from telling him to toss the laptop in the lake.  Toshiba Satellite of that's helpful.  Seems to run everything else just fine, no NwN1 though.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Chrisman888

• The Man Of The Hour
  • Dark Power
Re: NwN Vista issues
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 11:37:37 AM »
First off since your dual core make sure you run NWN on 1 CPU do this...

1) Shut down Neverwinter Nights.
2) Browse to the folder where you installed Neverwinter Nights (where nwmain.exe resides).
3) Find and open the file nwnplayer.ini.
4) Look for the option "Client CPU Affinity" under the [Game Options] heading. If the option isn't there, then add it under the [Game Options] heading.
5) Change the entry
Client CPU Affinity=-1
to
Client CPU Affinity=0
6) Save the changes.
7) Start up Neverwinter Nights.

Also what is the video card? Vista hates Nvidia cards for some reason.

Next make sure your computer is updated on all drivers, windows components ect ect. Make sure that you right click on all of the executible files in your NWN directory, go to properties and set the compatibility to Windows XP SP2

Now Vista and NWN is just weird,  sometimes you won't see the first cutscene, sometimes when you hear the opening music, you may see a black screen for about 10-15 seconds. If this happens, then just be patient. The game will load. Sometimes the game will load fast, sometimes it will load slow

Try that.

~ Chris

Current Characters:
- Horatiu Milosovici (Barovian)
- Garbhan Macduff (Forlon)

KoopaFanatic

• Iä! Iä! Puckwolf fhtagn!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 12:02:56 PM »
Some stuff that I needed to do to get it to work right:
Run nwmain.exe instead of nwn.exe -- Vista seems to choke on the load menu sometimes, and this seemed to be linked to the cutscene crash.
Set nwmain.exe to Windows XP compatibility mode
Set nwmain.exe to run as administrator

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 12:08:57 PM »
Noted and thanks.  So far I got everything updated, drivers all that, compatibility modes set as well.  I'll give the rest of it a shot tonight when he swings by to mooch dinner.  I forget the GFX card off the top of my head though I'm sure I will remember what it is when I've got no one around to ask about it.  :D

~Rex

dae24

• New to the Mists
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 01:28:42 PM »
i got NWN to run on my laptop, i did as said above and also installed DX9, not sure if it was needed or not. but after doing all those things, it works.

kyoung2200

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 01:45:30 PM »
I have Vista, and I use the nwnmain.exe.  Seems to work for some reason.

Also, anytime I try to run ANYTHING in compatibility mode, the program freezes up, no matter what it is.  It hates me :<  and I hate it.
::No longer posting under this account.  Using account named Swiftar::

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 02:05:05 PM »
yeah I use XP on the old crappy desk top, this Vista thing, makes me want to give someone over at Microsloth, a Mazinger Z Rocket Punch.

~Rex

RoyFeonix

• Outlander
    • Red Nightmares
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 12:37:53 PM »
Vista always crashed on the opening cutscene for me, but I just get it to work by hitting alt-tab. *Shrugs* Works for me.

Elda Arelei - Back from the wastes, and ready to find herself.