Author Topic: The Writings of James Lysark  (Read 919 times)

Halfbrood

• New to the Mists
The Writings of James Lysark
« on: August 01, 2009, 08:10:33 AM »
This battered old journal seems to contain the memories and musings of one James Lysark, though whatever was once written of his past life, seems to have been torn unceremoniously from the spine, and discarded. The author seems to have dedicated an entire page to marking a new chapter in his life...

The Second Life & Times of James Lysark

It began and ended in darkness. From what I remember, I encountered the Mists on my journey from the Gate to Amn. I always enjoyed long journeys alone, for what it's worth, and this time was no different. I'd left the Wayward Inn at nightfall, hoping to make the Crossroads by midnight, and I was making good time. It started, at first with whispers on the wind, incomprehensible, but evident all the same. Then dark figures, flicking from tree to tree. Then rolled in the Mist, thick and harsh on the back of my throat, though I choked for only a moment, before the darkness descended, my mind turned off, for what seemed an age. The next thing I feel is the grass's night-time moisture on my back, and a throbbing feeling at the front of my head. At once I knew I wasn't where I'd fallen, though I couldn't see it in the sky, I felt it in the air. This was not home. It was a strange sense of loss, a lack of belonging. I felt outcast.

It was bitterly cold, and I'd lost my cloak. I sat there, unable to move, disorientated. A fair time passed, before I picked myself up. The throbbing was subsiding, and I could hear the sounds of merriment ahead. Instinctively, I grasped my sword and made my way towards the noise, and the fire. I remember now, as I stumbled into the camp, muttering and shivering, the travellers and their circle caravans seemed less than concerned by my appearance, and even less so at the condition I was in. I collapsed by their fire, and enjoyed the warmth for a while. Finally able to think clearly, I was overcome by hunger, and found myself unable to speak, my mouth parched. I stayed by the caravan for a while, and got my feet, the people were happy to answer my questions, so long as I kept my coins at hand. After they'd had whatever fun they could with me, they directed me to their leader, or sage. She was able to answer some of my deeper, personal questions, and offered me a reading to tell my future. Always eager to know what lay ahead, I agreed. What she told me concerned me even more, so much I'll keep it for myself only. In my mind.

When I left, the dark still lingered, which begs me to ask when does the sun ever grace this place's people. I was directed along the road, to a bigger settlement. I arrived in the dead of night, the streets were deserted, the denizens of the night all to eager to try and feast upon me. I battled against cold, hunger and packs of rats until I reached this Inn, the Broken Bell. I'll stay the night here, and explore when the sun rises. If it rises.

What's worse, I've got a fever.