You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Liz is overpowered.  (Read 15893 times)

Budly

• Dark Power
Re: Liz is overpowered.
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2009, 01:47:32 PM »
Going out with a bang? Awesome!

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2009, 02:00:23 PM »
And by bang they mean strap a keg of alchemists fire on your chest and run into the morninglord church xD

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2009, 02:35:49 PM »
Actually, reading the Lock the doors at night comment from Archer there, makes a lot of sense.  Then you can leave the Shelter open at Night, IN the city, which cuts back on the "Power Slide to Liz, get healed, rush back out to Fight" stuff.......

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2009, 02:54:32 PM »
Locking the doors at night has been suggested before, and the point is that the doors would never close and lock out people needing help in the Church.

The Inn, on the other hand, I can see happening.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2009, 03:46:55 PM »
Locking the doors at night has been suggested before, and the point is that the doors would never close and lock out people needing help in the Church.

The Inn, on the other hand, I can see happening.

There's another exit to the church.  Entrance as well.

~Rex

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2009, 03:58:56 PM »
How does any of this change anything when healing potions are easily available though :| ?

And its just that we have a lot of new players that this is an issue lately right? I mean, i haven't used Lizuca for more than a light heal in months, since i had a helpless PC. Eventually you just become self sufficient.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

arrmuth

• Undead Master
  • Honor is everything.
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2009, 04:15:58 PM »
I remember once when Zachea was absent and a PC was filling in for him. The PC went afk and a newbie came in and wanted to know why he couldnt click on them..it was funny as hell :lol:

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2009, 04:27:11 PM »
I remember once when Zachea was absent and a PC was filling in for him. The PC went afk and a newbie came in and wanted to know why he couldnt click on them..it was funny as hell :lol:

Oh.... :lol:

Rixula

• Undead Slayer
  • The holiness its not in your you fool, its in me!
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2009, 05:05:36 PM »
Bah, the new players will be soon lvl 10 all and become immortal soon enough coz not very many people get permaed nowdays...*Ducks down to avoid Ecco's Perma beam* Nevertheless...you could make a script that Liz wont heal 1 person jsut about 20 times per day? and is able to raise dead 5 times per day? it would make sense aaand...Budly would be pleased too i think.

"Sometimes, when you feel alone it is the time when you are most thought of"

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2009, 05:15:51 PM »
How does any of this change anything when healing potions are easily available though :| ?

And its just that we have a lot of new players that this is an issue lately right? I mean, i haven't used Lizuca for more than a light heal in months, since i had a helpless PC. Eventually you just become self sufficient.

They are?  I haven't been able to buy any of those for either of my two main PC's, in hmm, 7 levels.

~Rex

hugolino

• Dark Lord
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2009, 03:05:11 AM »
The reference to potions being readily available is probably referring to player-crafting of them using herbalism, but I wouldn't call them "readily" available myself.

Sometimes I think everyone else is better at gaming than I am, since people frequently claim in the forums that everyone has far more money, potions, equipment and resources than I generally obtain.

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
  • The Hellrabbits are watching you.
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2009, 04:14:05 AM »
The reference to potions being readily available is probably referring to player-crafting of them using herbalism, but I wouldn't call them "readily" available myself.

Sometimes I think everyone else is better at gaming than I am, since people frequently claim in the forums that everyone has far more money, potions, equipment and resources than I generally obtain.
I feel that way, too. Makes me feel like a weak and inept person.  :allalone:

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2009, 07:28:42 AM »

Just like in RL.   People claim a whole lot of things.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 07:30:31 AM by ThAnswr »
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2009, 08:16:23 AM »
Odd, I've heard (And experienced and seen in-game) that, too. Philhelms Paladin is now level 6 and still using a default longsword and armour, as far as I can tell.

Fossick is a bit more well-equipped, and I'd say he's probably at 'average' for his level. Steel Platemail and Weapon, some chain boots, and a few other bits and bobs. Still wants a good crossbow and some other trinkets.

I've also been told that at this low level, there are PC's with +2 armour and shiny chain boots.

Some characters are just better at getting stuff than other ones.

shadymerchant

• Dark Power
  • Legendary Pimp Cat (Circa 1876)
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2009, 09:14:17 AM »
As you learn the module and its various ways, things become a lot easier. My first character, a Gundarakite rebel, never held more than a thousand gold, and never had any gear outside of that supplied by the faction. My second character managed a little better by 16, acquiring a nice collection of halberds and a few trinquets. My mage, after having been here for two years or so, did a lot better, and his ability to solo and socialize pretty much made him incredibly rich. Now when I start out a new character, I know what stores have what, how to get through dungeons, ways to make gold, and so on.

Edit: There's also the age of the module and the gear that is readily available at any given time. Sometimes there's a surplus on shiny boots, sometimes you can't even find +1 fort rings. The more you play and keep your ear out and the more gold you have stashed away, the chances are you'll nab nice stuff now and then.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 09:19:47 AM by shadymerchant »

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2009, 11:09:58 AM »
Odd, I've heard (And experienced and seen in-game) that, too. Philhelms Paladin is now level 6 and still using a default longsword and armour, as far as I can tell.

Fossick is a bit more well-equipped, and I'd say he's probably at 'average' for his level. Steel Platemail and Weapon, some chain boots, and a few other bits and bobs. Still wants a good crossbow and some other trinkets.

I've also been told that at this low level, there are PC's with +2 armour and shiny chain boots.

Its not that some chars are better at getting stuff some just got in the good graces of  the underworld with 20 mins of char creation *cough Alana cough*

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2009, 01:35:26 PM »
Poor or rich, we still abuse poor Liz for healing. It must be an avatar of Palor in disguise or something.

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2009, 01:36:31 PM »
Back on the topic of the thread, I have always thought the NPC clerics were needed, but overpowered.

I would propose something more along the lines of....

Level 1-5  Rez cost 100gp per level
Level 6-10 Rez cost 250gp per level
Level 10-15 Rez cost 500gp Per level
Level 15+  Rez cost 1000 gp per level

To counter this, limit the number of times you can request healing to 2-3 times per day per character, and scale the healing she gives similarly to light/moderate/serious/critical for each of the level groups above.  Include an option in the conversation menu where players can make a donation, donations can then be made to open up the option for restoration or cure disease spells, or even add an additional healing spell for that day.

In the end, this still gives us plenty NPC aid, while making players respect the dangerous situations they put themselves into even more.  It also means PC clerics will have a greater role in keeping people alive.

Sage - When stories come to life

peluscious

• Undead Master
  • The incredible off-topic man!
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2009, 02:06:06 PM »
Yeah, that adds to realism and increase the difficulty of the game.
But don't you think its already hard and fun enough?
The starting problem was: Someone rushed inside in near death, and rushed outside to finish PvP. THAT was bad.
Everything else is just fine in my opinion. Did the free heals really harm the game?
For me, just when i tried to heal some people i didn't know and they just didn't talk to me and rushed for Lizuca for the fast heal. But i can live with that.
Instead of more scripting, as i said earlier, i'd rather have the devs effort channeled to more options for characters.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2009, 02:10:11 PM »
The free healing is kind of annoying, seeing some crazy newcomer run up and down the crypt, when he obviously is powerless against the undead. But they yet wish to repeat it 100 times and maybe in the end wore them out.

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2009, 02:52:02 PM »
Well... that falls under the other players playing their own way, should be ignored.  I too have tried to get others weened off of NPC healing only, and have loaded my self up with healing potions over the course of weeks, then camped out in the ML and offered them (dirt cheap, selling at a loss), and still people would rather farm the crypts than buy them from another character. Its their choice. there is nothing wrong with every player having a choice. I don't fret over it. Honestly, it doesn't ruin anything for me, they are just hunting xp, and eventually they will move on to something more challenging.

As far as some characters having access to better gear or whatever is insinuated in this..... its not a big mystery. As a point, armor is from the PC economy usually, so that is around 1k for most characters, you start the game with most of your sum, and a few days of minks and you will have enough.  there are several ways to get better stuff if you ask around, there are so many PCs around that either craft or collect goods and they have difficulty finding buyers, as a player that has spent considerable in-game resources and playing time, acquiring items and skills to provide for myself and others, its quite disheartening that their are characters needing the stuff that we honestly stopped producing except for ourselves because its so hard to not operate at a loss without buyers.

Remember if you need something specifically you can always post a wanted poster in the IC section too.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 03:30:27 PM by Emomina »
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2009, 03:32:32 PM »
There are MANY herbalists, and while it isn't as easy as going to an npc and stocking up, it generates rp and helps build connections between characters with like minded goals or other similarities.  Some of those herbalists are willing to barter, or as Emomina pointed out, even take a loss (and it's not an uncommon business practice to give a real bargain to encourage repeat business and build loyal clientel).  Once you have a connection with a crafter pc of any type it's a lot easier to find them again or connect with other crafters for different wares via the initial pc.  Many pcs have personal reasons for not dealing with certain crafters but I've seen herbalists (and other crafters) of nearly all races and many backgrounds, so there's probably one out there to suit nearly any character.

The idea of Liz having a night shift replacement, is a fantastic one, and it makes a lot of sense icly that she'd take a break and actually sleep.  (Reminds me of when the ferrymen were changed to go inside at night, that seems to have worked out well.)

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

hugolino

• Dark Lord
« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2009, 09:13:38 PM »
"As a point, armor is from the PC economy usually, so that is around 1k for most characters, you start the game with most of your sum, and a few days of minks and you will have enough."

For the record, took my current and main character about a month to afford and buy steel armor, and that was his first major purchase. It would have taken less time except for player looting of my corpse.

Rixula

• Undead Slayer
  • The holiness its not in your you fool, its in me!
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2009, 08:47:49 AM »
Only problem would be who the hell would be replacing liz when shifting? lol

"Sometimes, when you feel alone it is the time when you are most thought of"

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2009, 04:24:20 PM »
Im sure we can have a random ml npc pop in.