Author Topic: Masterwork Weapons  (Read 11333 times)

Jana

• Undead Slayer
Re: Masterwork Weapons
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2009, 02:28:07 PM »
Even with the +1 AB steel weapons are still better. There's too many enchanting clothes. Not to meantion you can get MW for taking on level of wizard/sorc/druid/cleric or 2 levels if you pick bard.
Jana - Red Vardo Leathercrafter
Jacho - Lich Wannabe
Fiona - Copper Smith
Janie - MIA

Smitehammer

• Undead Slayer
  • Frohe Weihnachten
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2009, 03:29:25 PM »
Nope, not druids.  They get the shaft with spells.
Wouldn't the world be better off if we took nonsense more seriously?

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2009, 04:12:56 PM »
Nope, not druids.  They get the shaft with spells.

Because of his spells , my 5th level Druid can cruise areas with impunity that my 14th level fighter can not.  Being Summon spell dependent though they are shafted on THAT spell family duration wise, but they are far from shafted as a greater picture.  It's just the current spell duration set up at the moment breeds Bear Form, Bear Companion, Buffed to the Gills, Greater Stone Skinned Melee Druids.  *shrug*

I wouldn't Mind, masterwork weapons being tuned over to the top end of the crafting spectrum requiring a natural 20 on the craft roll and granting a +1 AB.  That's complaint with PnP.  To balance, all +1 AB weaponry that is static dropped in the game (with the exception of a handful), go to being REAL +1 weapons, and we can then include some realistic +2 AB weaponry so that the Non Spell Casters stand at lest an iota of a chance in the environment.  Not asking for the Sunsword, but being able to get the items listed in the books would be nice, and being able to hit a mummy for more then a d4 damage with a specific item, or not having to be a walking chemical laboratory would be Nice.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

peluscious

• Undead Master
  • The incredible off-topic man!
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2009, 04:27:49 PM »
AND summons drain xp.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2009, 05:28:11 PM »
AND summons drain xp.

I don't really care about XP though.  It always trickles in.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Smitehammer

• Undead Slayer
  • Frohe Weihnachten
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2009, 12:34:27 AM »
I was just talking about weapon buffs.  they don't even get any weapon-flaming spells in NWN 1.  NWN 2 is another story.  Oh, and they can cast in their various forms.  But now I'm off topic...  Let me think of there's anything else to say on topic... Oh, kind of.  I think it would be neat if certain weirdo ingredients from the alchemy set or herbalism set could be used to add various damages to crafted weapons.  Like how troll leather, worg leather, etcetera are used for diferent armor immunities -- coldstones or frost salts or something could add perma-cold to a crafted weapon.  Dousing the weapon in holy water and kissed with the virgin lips of an angel or something would add a perma divine damage.  Using living wood to make a bow or something for positive damage.  Stuff like that.

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2009, 08:49:34 AM »
What worries me is the weapons that are meant to be incredibly high-level, ridiculously hard to make, expensive and rare, becoming mass-produced by high level crafters then dumped on stores for a couple thousand fang, so that the low levels now have the same stuff that the high levels can grab.

peluscious

• Undead Master
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2009, 09:11:41 AM »
That's how it was done in D&D first edition.
To make a magical item, you needed rare reagents, and there were no rules for it. The book recommended the DM to ask for difficult stuff.
So, to bring that rule here, to craft anything magical it would require an application and some DM time to find the reagents.
I don't think the DMs have the spare time to do it. But if they do, that would be a good system. There wouldn't be a big influx of magical stuff, since it would require an approved application, a successful reagent hunt and the successes at the crafting stations.

failed.bard

« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2009, 01:07:38 PM »
Magical item creation is currently handled by DMs, and a vote is required to ensure it's not overly powerful.  My smith Wilhelm made a magic axe that way, another character made a sword through a DM story.
  Generally, they do it more as a quest to find it, as opposed to making it, though.

I would give the Devs some patience when it comes to PC made enchanted or even AB boosting items.  Alchemy has involved a fair bit of work to get to where it is, and any sort of enchanting or mastercrafting system will need to be written and tested before they can put it in, exen in a limited way.

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2009, 02:06:42 PM »
magical items and weapons are made of the procces of years of work to be a true master of the craft it requiers more time then the sever has been alive so I doubt we have any master crafters capable of making magic till then live with what we got gents.

failed.bard

« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2009, 03:24:12 PM »
  My smith auto-successes everything it's possible to smith or gild, plus, is a 12th level wizard to boot, with a background in ritual magic.  He's attempted to make two magic weapons, failed one (Sheakes his fist at Morfin and his faked books), and succeeded for one, a crafting that was also part of a DM story.
  I'm not saying who made the other weapon I know of, since that should be found out ICly.
  It can be done, though, which was my point.

I would love to see masterwork items in game, at a DC of 20 to 40 higher than the normal items, since it would give me a reason to use my smith again, but it would involve quite a bit of work to impliment, and the bonuses would have to be carefully considered.

Mrjunkie

• Dark Lord
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2009, 09:57:18 AM »
 :D

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2009, 04:12:40 PM »
  I would love to see masterwork items in game, at a DC of 20 to 40 higher than the normal items, since it would give me a reason to use my smith again, but it would involve quite a bit of work to impliment, and the bonuses would have to be carefully considered.

I foresee Masterwork becoming the regular. Nobody would bother with Steel any more, and just go for the next higher step.

Mrjunkie

• Dark Lord
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2009, 07:18:42 AM »
Give it such a dc that even master smiths have a 50% failure rate to keep them rare and overly wanted, or have the ingridients be extremely rare.
Same as certain herbs that only spawn certain times a year.

Demand will be high but they will be hard to forge, as it should be, master quality doesnt come over night;)

failed.bard

« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2009, 12:13:02 PM »
Certain smiths, mainly the casters, but anyone with money and connections as well, can still power-level their smith skill.  Even if 40 points were added suddenly to all the DCs, my smith would be back auto-successing everything within two weeks.  In his case, the only thing that would keep every PC in game from suddenly having +AB weapons would be that it would be too easy for him to bother again.
  Requiring certain rare items for it to be made, especially if a DM quest is needed to get them, is how the current system works.
  I'd prefer if the "masterwork" items had no additional bonuses for the increased, but could then be used to enchant.  If the weapons are destroyed on a failed enchanting attempt, it would keep the high end smiths busy, while minimizing the number of items on the market.

Yes, I think PCs should have access to +1 AB and legit +1 items, but the production of them needs to be more involved than just putting ingredients on the anvil and clicking on it.

Smitehammer

• Undead Slayer
  • Frohe Weihnachten
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2009, 11:21:17 AM »
Yeah, because this isn't a game or something.  This is srsbsns.

Though I do like the enchantability idea.

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2009, 12:02:26 PM »
Combine requiring a good smith and a good alchemist, whole new line of enchanted weapons with elemental damage and +AB pops up. Requires 10 of X varnish for a permanent weaker varnish effect. 1d12 Varnishes will give +1d6 elemental damage, along with +1 AB. Comparable to what we already have with steel, but with a +1 AB and Elemental damage (Handy against those pesky stoneskinned people))

Opens up co-operative crafting, since becoming a master smelter, smith, and alchemist takes some serious craft-whoring.

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
  • The Hellrabbits are watching you.
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2009, 05:35:43 PM »
Combine requiring a good smith and a good alchemist, whole new line of enchanted weapons with elemental damage and +AB pops up. Requires 10 of X varnish for a permanent weaker varnish effect. 1d12 Varnishes will give +1d6 elemental damage, along with +1 AB. Comparable to what we already have with steel, but with a +1 AB and Elemental damage (Handy against those pesky stoneskinned people))

Opens up co-operative crafting, since becoming a master smelter, smith, and alchemist takes some serious craft-whoring.
Most of the other smiths seem to be tanners, carpenters, woodworkers, herbalists, and alchemists already.
One of the reasons why I don't play Ulfga much. (The other being the fact everyone wants silver-gilded weapons but they don't want to do anything to help get silver cause the silver cave is insanely annoying.)

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

eyeofpestilence

• Dark Power
« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2009, 06:15:30 PM »
Most of the other smiths seem to be tanners, carpenters, woodworkers, herbalists, and alchemists already.
One of the reasons why I don't play Ulfga much. (The other being the fact everyone wants silver-gilded weapons but they don't want to do anything to help get silver cause the silver cave is insanely annoying.)

Add they don't want to pay for the danger and it's not worth it.

Thanks DW!

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2009, 06:30:39 AM »

Add they don't want to pay for the danger and it's not worth it.

Annnnd they put in orders and usaly dont come up with the fang leaving your smith with 2 sets of full plat 3 tower shields and a handfull of steel silver longswords to lug around... *sighs*

shadymerchant

• Dark Power
  • Legendary Pimp Cat (Circa 1876)
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2009, 05:24:58 PM »

This sounds very much like the CNR crafting system available on other modules already. What you get, even with cooperation is required, is a mass influx of crafted items. Every community-established player gets one, and there's enough of a surplus that they begin handing it out to low levels, and also established-low level alts. Pretty soon everyone has the 1d6 +1 fireblade.

what one module did successfully however was to require 3 high level players to join together to complete a dungeon, at which point they opened up a portal to an area with higher crafting possibilities. The smith among them would then make the items, which required ingredient collecting to even do that part, and just enough would be produced that the well connected players all ended up with shiny 1d6 +2 fireblades.

I think that could work here on POTM with a few modifications. Up the number of players to something like 8 and make the required components extremely rare, and then require a high level crafter in every field to be present. it'd be an epic task to put together and the production would depend on how much could be gathered, which could be something like a 5% chance or even DM dropped. Also, since getting to this area would be so rare, players are not able to powercraft that last step. They get there for the first time and their chances are still 90% fail.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 05:27:08 PM by shadymerchant »

Smitehammer

• Undead Slayer
  • Frohe Weihnachten
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2009, 09:08:15 PM »
Or they could just roll up a cleric and cast darkfire on their weapon.  Seriously, do we have to make it take more effort to make a weapon in a game than it would be for the player to actually learn weapon-smithery in real life?  I guess we do - I'm not going to be affected by the decision anyway so whatever.  Just leave me with my enchanted polishing cloths and alchemist fire.

failed.bard

« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2009, 10:28:52 PM »
  My smith is 16th level, fighter 4/wizard 12.  He auto-successes every possible aspect of smelting, smithing, and gilding present in game right now.  He tans at about a 60% success rate on the special hides, and auto-successes all the normal ones.  It took roughly 20 hours of game time only to get from smith 25 to 55, broken up into three clumps, including getting the coal and iron.  Gilding took maybe 10 hours to get to where her could auto-success it all, in three main chunks.

If a system is put in that in any way allows power-crafting and mass producing, he'll be auto-successing eveything possible to make within two weeks of the system being implimented, and everyone will have magic weapons.

Soren has said enchanting will eventually be implimented.  When it is, hopefully it will be done in a way that will keep the items made rare, and thus valuable, to cover what will undoubtedly be an involved process.  The moment you can make a magic weapon with no chance of failure, and minimal IC and OOC effort, there will be a problem.
  The dungeons are balanced based on ~needing~ casters of certain levels to do them, without a massive use of consumables, or a fantastic build.  It's why PfE isn't likely to ever get nerfed (no matter how many times I say it should), because it gives use to even a low level caster in a dungeon.

This rambled more than I intended it to, hopefully the point I'm trying to make is obvious enough still.  I'll add to it later if it isn't.

peluscious

• Undead Master
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2009, 11:13:55 PM »
So, instead of lashing the devs for an unexploitable system, why don't we all go slow on it, rp that learning that is very difficult and should take some time?
Seriously, everyone is relying on rules to not act OOCly...
And i agree with smitehammer. All the systems are just fine the way they are now, in my opinion.

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
  • The Hellrabbits are watching you.
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2009, 11:40:42 PM »
  My smith is 16th level, fighter 4/wizard 12.  He auto-successes every possible aspect of smelting, smithing, and gilding present in game right now.  He tans at about a 60% success rate on the special hides, and auto-successes all the normal ones.  It took roughly 20 hours of game time only to get from smith 25 to 55, broken up into three clumps, including getting the coal and iron.  Gilding took maybe 10 hours to get to where her could auto-success it all, in three main chunks.

With things like exhaustion and the limitation of materials in each node, smithing is NOT quite that easy to master anymore.

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)