Author Topic: Crossbows?  (Read 6144 times)

kenpen

• Dark Power
Re: Crossbows?
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2009, 08:09:20 PM »
Old Machinist's was just fine.

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2009, 05:02:18 PM »
Keep the old machinist bows b&.  I can flaunt mine to all the newcomers and laugh at how they will never ever ever ever be as powerful as me.

And you have done. -_-''

Bumping this, because I still want more nice crossbows, craftable or otherwise.

Heck, if we get craftables, Fossick is going into bowmaking. Go to the elf for bows and flowers, go to the dwarf for your manly 'reverse compensation' crossbow.

PolarSam

• New to the Mists
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2009, 10:05:32 PM »
Maybe add a little damage for stronger materials, like a mighty composite but without the str requirement. Might give dex-basers some incentive.

OT-ish: what's the word on crafting darts? I've never seen any but the regular kind

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2009, 06:40:32 AM »
That's a point... Throwing axes, too.

Don't know why the Crossbows system has never been revamped, really... I mean as far as I can tell, more people use Crossbows than normal bows! They just seem to fit the setting better.

darkpriest

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2009, 07:00:04 AM »
well As it was suggested i would add some feat that can add significant additional dmg for sacrificing full round of attacks with crossbow (if it's possible something like dirty fighting -> ex. 2d10 with requirment of 9+ BAB). Although I found my fighter doing quite well job with rapid reload feat. couple that with increased critic range (17-20/x2) and weapon specialization (+2) and mighty attribute of the crossbow (+4 from str) and it really is not -that- bad. Although he we'll fare worse than a dedicated arcane archer or even ranger (or fighter) using a bow and rapid fire feat. Still that's a back up weapon in case that running straight into a powerful monster is dangerous (fear aura etc.) and surely it's not a weapon for soloing ;) (bad.. BAD.. word, even though a pure fighter can't solo any decent mid-high level dungeon :P)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 07:29:42 AM by darkpriest »

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2009, 07:41:48 PM »
Your bleeden right about a mid fighter not being able to solo jack...
Gie me a crossbows!

LawfulJoe

• "Evil is a thing of perception, it depends on which end of the sword you're on"
  • Dark Power
  • aka AwfulJoe
    • Joe Kellerman - Graphic Artist
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2009, 08:38:30 PM »
Ok... What hurts on a crossbow is the ammo, which silver is available. A silver crossbow would only hurt a Lycanthrope if you hit it with it. So instead, what we need to do is maybe think of elements that would enhance a crossbow, such as...

Repeater heavy crossbow (Bonus Feat, Rapid Reload -1 Attack due to a lack of accuracy caused by the reloading mechanics)

Angel hair Strung Crossbow (+2 vs Evil, -2 attack and Dmagae vs Good from the power of the bow string)

Demon Mane Strung Crossbow (+2 vs Good, -2 attack and damage vs Evil from the power of the bow string)

Dragon Rib Crossbow (+1 EB)

This is starting to sound a bit high magic, but if we can think of elements that could be harvested from creatures in the game that could make the weapon  more potent, or metal alloys that could be made by blending the existing ingots, with more strength than steel, making it hit harder that I think would be the direction to go with setting up a crafting system for Crossbows.

We have to keep in mind, this is not Forgotten Realms, Monsters are badass for a reason, to inspire fear. Soloing is not necessarily the goal, though if on any server that would be an accomplishment, it would be here.

This is not an offical Dev Team response, just my personal opinions.

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2009, 04:27:01 AM »
All I'd expect is something on-par with what we get from bows.

+1 AB vs. Evil, +1 AB vs. Undead, +1 AB vs. Chaotic, etc.

And we could do with the old Machnists back.  :mrgreen:

darkpriest

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2009, 04:51:14 AM »

That and I still would welcome additional feat that would be sort of like improved dirty fighting, but for crossbow users of higher level. sacrifice a full round of attacks to make one deadly shot (2d10 extra dmg) of course it ought to be used by characters that have mid-high BAB, so either 9+ BAB or even 11+ BAB requirment.

Grieyls

• Undead Master
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2009, 06:22:34 AM »
Mechanics aside... Once saw a demonstration of the power of an ordinary crossbow at a Medieval fair one time. What was used was a Composite bow, Long Bow, and a crossbow all firing at a target some hundred meter's away. The target was made of dense straw all bound together and was about a foot thick. Now the composite bow buried an arrow about, if memory serves, an inch or so into the target. The longbow buried an arrow all the way with a little bit of the tip of the arrow poking out the other side... The crossbow however plowed it's bolt right through the target and embedded itself in the wood stand holding the target up. They also fired the thing at some standard armour that was used back in the day and the bolt pierced the armour still buring itself some inch and half in the dummy wearing it. Was quite impressive.

There was a reason why crossbows were banned from use by the Pope way back in the 14th century I think. Don't quote me on that ;) Basically if you were hit with one it was a sure kill... Thus Crossbows in NWN pale by comparison.

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2009, 06:51:18 AM »
Keep in mind that with throwing weapons you add your str mod to the dmg they deal. As for crossbows mighty +4 ones are pretty common. And a char with the right str score would deal 5-14 dmg per shot, which I'd say is pretty decent for a ranged weapon. Especially if you add a crafted bolt then you'll have an addition 1d4 dmg and possibly +1 too.

darkpriest

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2009, 07:17:53 AM »
Keep in mind that with throwing weapons you add your str mod to the dmg they deal. As for crossbows mighty +4 ones are pretty common. And a char with the right str score would deal 5-14 dmg per shot, which I'd say is pretty decent for a ranged weapon. Especially if you add a crafted bolt then you'll have an addition 1d4 dmg and possibly +1 too.

same goes for bows if I am not mistaken. ;)

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2009, 07:19:26 AM »

same goes for bows if I am not mistaken. ;)

Yeah though they only deal 1d8 dmg :p

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2009, 08:46:43 AM »
Why cant we just hae a crossbow man prestige class that can be taken at lower le\/els as in it gies spec abilties only for the cross bow like an arcane archer or a wep master.

darkpriest

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2009, 09:29:33 AM »
Hmm I did not see every DnD book that was issued (That's Rex's job!!!), but maybe there are already some interesting feats for crossbowmen to be implemented in those books?

Kni7es

• Outlander
  • Vagabond
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2009, 09:01:23 PM »
This is starting to sound a bit high magic, but if we can think of elements that could be harvested from creatures in the game that could make the weapon  more potent, or metal alloys that could be made by blending the existing ingots, with more strength than steel, making it hit harder that I think would be the direction to go with setting up a crafting system for Crossbows.

Every now and then I take for granted that I play on a very low-magic server. I don't even notice it until something like this wakes me up and I remember that once upon a time +3 was mediocre.

Seconded. Keep weapon options diverse. I started a pilot character on this server for a reason (other than to poke around a bit). I've gone to servers before and invested a lot of time and energy into a character only to find that my initial weapons choices (especially for, say, fighters and weapon masters) were the *wrong* ones because all the good weapons were the ones I wasn't set up to use. I still, to this day, hate kamas for that reason.

That's a point... Throwing axes, too.

For what the weight is worth, you might as well cart around a catapult.
Underneath this hood... is another hood.

Kilaana

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2009, 09:06:15 PM »
Sorry if this goes a bit off-topic...but the last few posts suddenly reminded me - does anyone think it's possible to have a system where weapons (and even armour) have a lifespan? I know it sounds all too much like micro-management now but I thought it would help avoid the overpowering of the server in some way. And make smithing/alchemy/bowyering/armour-craft a more active role in the community.
Sig by Blacky Rose

"She is dangerous; What will you do? ....I will make her my queen."

LawfulJoe

• "Evil is a thing of perception, it depends on which end of the sword you're on"
  • Dark Power
  • aka AwfulJoe
    • Joe Kellerman - Graphic Artist
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2009, 09:13:25 PM »
I kind of like that idea... it does kinda suck for the REALLY good armor that you spent or risked a ton for, but it does take a beating, but what if an Armor smith could also repair an armor, reseting the countdown on an armors lifespan.

Maybe this should get it's own thread, so we do not throw off the Crossbow conversation :P

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2009, 09:16:49 PM »
Um, Kilaana im sorry but the random trophy is mine so stop tryen to take it! ;)

Also I thinkn that would be a bad idea beacuse armor lasts a veeerrry long time.
and most blades do as well you neeed to sharpen them and all but unless thier covered in slowly croding acid then they wont break with the rl time the servers in.
So no go on that Idea just my  :twocents:

Kni7es

• Outlander
  • Vagabond
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2009, 09:53:29 PM »
Sorry if this goes a bit off-topic...but the last few posts suddenly reminded me - does anyone think it's possible to have a system where weapons (and even armour) have a lifespan? I know it sounds all too much like micro-management now but I thought it would help avoid the overpowering of the server in some way. And make smithing/alchemy/bowyering/armour-craft a more active role in the community.

No no no no no no no no no. God no. I hate systems like that. It's such a pain in the ass. Listen, we're here to have fun. Realism helps with that, up until a point. No one would ever think Project Gotham Racing would be fun if they had to do an oil change minigame every 5,000 miles, or had to gas up their car in-between races. You might as well have a bladder system incorporated alongside the exhaustion system where your character would have to relieve themselves on either a latrine or a special placeable bush.

Exhaustion? Alright, that's one thing.
Food? Okay, sure. Makes sense.
Resting? It does its part to balance things out.
I-just-broke-my-expensive-sword-in-a-dungeon-five-miles-out-from-town-and-now-I-have-to-go-back? F*** that.

Kilaana

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2009, 10:03:18 PM »
Wow. Okay...chill, mate. I wasn't suggesting anything so extreme..
Sig by Blacky Rose

"She is dangerous; What will you do? ....I will make her my queen."

Kni7es

• Outlander
  • Vagabond
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2009, 10:06:20 PM »
I'm fine, that's alright... just so long as I've communicated my point that I *really* don't like the idea.