Author Topic: Crossbows?  (Read 6187 times)

jugnaut

• Dark Lord
Crossbows?
« on: July 14, 2009, 06:17:20 PM »
Can we get the ability to make crossbows with components like bows?  I don't understand why I can make a bow that will hurt undead but why crossbow users are limited.  You can make a devil-ash longbow but only a steel crossbow.  Why not let us make white stag antler steel crossbows and the like?

Mortimer-uber hin
Istvan Csapek-"hm hm hm"
Erik Draven-Ezra's Anchorite
Kalmah-Ex-Vardo

failed.bard

Re: Crossbows?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 06:28:39 PM »
  There had been a thread awhile ago, where it was suggested that the other metals give bonuses to AB.  Silver vs weres, iron vs outsiders, copper vs fey.  I think that would make more sense in the context of the system in place.

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 06:38:20 PM »
There are crossbows that give +1 vs undead and more, I think Machinist crossbows still exist, despite being toned down a little.

puckwolf

• Dark Power
  • Internet Boomer
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 06:03:45 AM »
He's concerned about being able to actually craft crossbows with bonuses to AB, which as far as I know you can't.

Having silver crossbows adding a +1 ab against shifters would certainly be interesting, as would even being able to mix in shadow wood or some other component to spice them up a bit. 

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 08:38:39 AM »
There are crossbows that give +1 vs undead and more, I think Machinist crossbows still exist, despite being toned down a little.

Toned down to the point of Uselessness.  The OLD one is nigh Priceless.  has it's drawbacks to but at least it's useful.  New Machinist Crossbow is as useful as a Grave Lantern.

If one can make bows, that give AB bonuses vs things, then crossbows should be able to play to.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Chrisman888

• The Man Of The Hour
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 11:33:17 AM »
The old machinist was way to powerful. I had one with Marrok and I was doing + 70 sneaks with steel bolts and that powerful crossbow.

~ Chris
Current Characters:
- Horatiu Milosovici (Barovian)
- Garbhan Macduff (Forlon)

Ric

• <Insert pwnage innuendo>
  • Dark Power
  • The writer that keeps going ... And going ...
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 11:54:02 AM »
I like the drawbacks of the old machinist crossbow (I still have one).  The damn thing is absurdly heavy + it lowers your strength, effectively making it even heavier.  I can't even use the damn bow on my own without getting encumbered, so I basically keep it in my bag and only use it when someone's in the party to provide me with bull's strength.  On a strength-based character this wasn't an issue, but I'd say dexers (like the average rogue) had it pretty hard making room to use it, which made it worth it if you could make room.

What I'd like to see is more rare useful bows/x-bows like the one (can't remember the name off the top of my head) that gave a +1 AB and a +2 vs. undead, making it the ultimate weapon for slaying things like ancient mummies from a distance.  I also recall one that gave +2 AB with a -4 dex and 50% arcane spell failure penalty.

I was hoping the devil-horn bows would at least do +2 vs. outsiders when they were released, since most outsiders have a +2 reduction.

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 01:36:05 PM »
The old machinest should come back to be honest. It was fine the new ones are ehh Ive seen the old and new and the new just doesnt cut it

Also Ive seen what master work longbows can do also i have seen what the crafted ones can do to be honest the crafted bow compared to the masterwork are pathetic lets get a rehall of the crafted bows lower the might and give stat boosts maybe like shadow wood gives +1 hide and ms or Demon horn can give +3 to atntagonise and influence and then cut the mighty down by about 3. Beacuse I doubt thier are many 22 str bowmen....

failed.bard

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 01:56:01 PM »
  Maybe the pitfiend general should have a higher grade horn, allowing +2 bows to be made at a higher DC with his, compared to the ones taken from a normal pitfiend.

[/end off topic]

I'll have to try and dig up the old crafting suggestion thread and bump it.  There were some good ideas in there, a few of which were implimented.

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 02:30:59 PM »
If the demon horn gave a bounus veruses outsiders it would make no sence since its evil in and of its self.

Perhaps give it +2 it lawfull.

darkpriest

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 02:40:25 PM »
more likely +2 vs. chaotic, sicne those are devil's horns and devil's natural weapon is considered lawful in 3.5 ed.

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 02:48:38 PM »
Wait how is a devils horn lawfull?

darkpriest

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 02:58:16 PM »
Devils are lawful evil outsiders, hence any weapon made of such creatures would mostlikely have a bonus vs good and vs chaotic

Demons are chaotic evil outsiders, hence any weapon made of such creatures would most likely have a bonus vs good and vs lawful

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 02:59:26 PM »
Is a pit fiend devil or demon then?

darkpriest

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 03:01:26 PM »
a pit fiend is a devil

a balor is a demon

OT: btw.. i just find it odd that demonologsits summon imps and not quasits :P

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2009, 03:04:29 PM »
Are thier any Balors that arnt summoned in this sever?

Chrisman888

• The Man Of The Hour
  • Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 03:42:04 PM »
....Rrrright back on topic. I think it was just the sheer damage the old machinest could do that made them change it.

But otherwise, I too would love to see some new crossbows and new crafted ones. So many times I wanted to make a crossbow weapon spec character but I knew I would never really find a decent crossbow.

~ Chris
Current Characters:
- Horatiu Milosovici (Barovian)
- Garbhan Macduff (Forlon)

Smitehammer

• Undead Slayer
  • Frohe Weihnachten
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2009, 11:50:52 PM »
Keep the old machinist bows b&.  I can flaunt mine to all the newcomers and laugh at how they will never ever ever ever be as powerful as me.

Then again, I have millions of characters waiting in the wings that could use some nice gear but can't get them from my dinosaurs.  Sure, bring them back.  At least with a little DM attention quest or so.
Wouldn't the world be better off if we took nonsense more seriously?

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 12:28:08 AM »
Well with dm interaction could we find a warehouse full of the old machinests?

jugnaut

• Dark Lord
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2009, 04:43:57 PM »
AB bonuses based on metal type would be nice and a good start.  It just seems unfair to deny crossbow users the same benefits of bow users.  It basically forces a PC to use a bow instead of crossbow.  I should be able to craft crossbows with similar bonuses for people.

Mortimer-uber hin
Istvan Csapek-"hm hm hm"
Erik Draven-Ezra's Anchorite
Kalmah-Ex-Vardo

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2009, 05:53:57 PM »
Personally, I've always hated the way DnD and NWN does crossbows.

I actually wrote up (some years ago) a homebrew Crossbowman class for 3.0.

You got high AB progression, but never gained more attacks per round. But then, the one shot you made was highly accurate and powerful, like a crossbow should be. Certainly enough to compare to a round full of attacks from an equal level fighter with a Bow.

Best scenario was when something with DR was fighting the party, and they were all chipping away at it, when the Crossbowman finally got his next turn.

Knocked the thing straight to hell.

Kung Fu Orc

• Supreme Overlord
  • Dark Power
  • Alchoholics Incorperated
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2009, 08:03:28 PM »
Personally, I've always hated the way DnD and NWN does crossbows.

I actually wrote up (some years ago) a homebrew Crossbowman class for 3.0.

You got high AB progression, but never gained more attacks per round. But then, the one shot you made was highly accurate and powerful, like a crossbow should be. Certainly enough to compare to a round full of attacks from an equal level fighter with a Bow.

Best scenario was when something with DR was fighting the party, and they were all chipping away at it, when the Crossbowman finally got his next turn.

Knocked the thing straight to hell.

Well, there's no way to put STR requirements on crossbows, but we could make the heavier beasts more balanced by boosting their weight -alot- And I mean, like 8 - 10 lbs heavy.

Daciana Varzaru- "If fate is a principle beyond Human comprehension which capriciously torments man, then it is karma that man confront fate with sorcery."

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2009, 08:54:49 PM »
Increasing weight is just an inconvenience. I carry around about 20 lbs worth of RP items at any time on my characters, more weight is just going to annoy me.

Perhaps adding more feats that allow dedication into crossbowing in the next Hak, but that's all I can think of...

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2009, 04:28:16 PM »
Why cant we have crossbows which are enchanted and fire unlimited bolts that would give crossbows a new reason to come out.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2009, 05:26:38 PM »
Could just make a Crossbow with material abilities like the bow, and return the MACHINIST crossbow back to it's 1st edition.  Don't like being limited to faggler elf weapons.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.