Author Topic: Character Description Letter Limit  (Read 4959 times)

Grieyls

• Undead Master
Re: Character Description Letter Limit
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2009, 10:26:45 PM »
Not that I have tried myself but I assume you can copy paste something larger in as there is one character in game that changes their description quite often and the description they have is longer than 290 characters I am pretty sure... Will check next time I see them on though and verify that.

Maryn

• Dark Power
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2009, 10:33:17 PM »

Are you able to copy/paste something larger than that into it Maryn?

Nope, I have tried that. Copy/pasting just cuts you off at the 290 mark. Now, I think the 290 mark is just the generic text cut off, same as if you were typing a message into the talk channel, which is why I think an @more description command, or something along those lines would solve the problem.

And honestly, if someone wants to put a long description, why does anyone care? No one is obligated to read it.

failed.bard

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2009, 11:37:55 PM »
@description add (or more), would make sense, and being able to use the line breaks like in notes would be nice.

Grieyls

• Undead Master
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2009, 03:27:09 AM »
Gotta wonder though... It is often said that it is the limitations that drive creativity. Thus I wonder, would being able to exceed the current 290 characters be a good thing? I mean after all with this limitation you are forced to be a little more creative to fit the description you desire in. Now why is that considered a bad thing?

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2009, 09:14:53 AM »
I dont know what im doing but ive never had a problem with the 290 limit... And Ive always been able to make longer discrptions then 290 using the command...

Grieyls

• Undead Master
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2009, 09:19:42 AM »
Hmmmm, the plot thickens  :shock:

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2009, 10:11:41 AM »
Gotta wonder though... It is often said that it is the limitations that drive creativity. Thus I wonder, would being able to exceed the current 290 characters be a good thing? I mean after all with this limitation you are forced to be a little more creative to fit the description you desire in. Now why is that considered a bad thing?

I'm not here to be forced to do anything for one, and with your rationalization we could as well have no description at all to force the RP even more. Now some of us have descriptions where the most significant appearances of our characters can be described within the set limit, but others like me have need to put in much more. Even the most significant, or what I deem significant, just doesn't fit within this limit. If I could put the full description in there, would I stop describing my character's hand as ruddy/scaly/taloned when he uses it? No, because if I do that, it detracts from the experience I wish others to have of him. Pointing out the significant unusualities in RP also reminds people of the description if they want a better overview, but again...

And honestly, if someone wants to put a long description, why does anyone care? No one is obligated to read it.

And nor would they need to, to keep RPing along. Descriptions are a spice, and quite tasty at that.  :)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 10:13:48 AM by Telkar »

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2009, 11:01:11 AM »
Excellent post Telkar, agree with it 100%.
Few around are as descriptive as you are, and its always appreciated. ;)
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Grieyls

• Undead Master
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2009, 09:59:23 PM »
And yet there are those who are exceeding the limit well after character creation with in the game... So, obviously there is way to we just don't know how.

Maryn

• Dark Power
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2009, 05:25:21 PM »
And yet there are those who are exceeding the limit well after character creation with in the game... So, obviously there is way to we just don't know how.

I think those might be people who have applied for remakes.

Grieyls

• Undead Master
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2009, 06:07:23 AM »
Well if any of them could come forward and verify this, that would be great.... However...
I dont know what im doing but ive never had a problem with the 290 limit... And Ive always been able to make longer discrptions then 290 using the command...

If one can exceed then I assume others can ;)

Maryn

• Dark Power
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2009, 07:34:42 AM »
Well if any of them could come forward and verify this, that would be great.... However...

If one can exceed then I assume others can ;)

Ummm. . .seriously, try it and prove me wrong, please? The point is, it should not be -that- difficult to put a proper description in for your character.

Grieyls

• Undead Master
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2009, 08:56:08 AM »
I'll take that under advisement... I'm not trying to debate with with anybody. Just wanted to point out that at least there is one person who claims they have exceeded the 290 limit. But as Ferro said he doesn't know how he is doing it so if he can't say and I don't know either...  :|

But what the hey, I'll give it a burl and see what comes of it ;)

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2009, 09:20:11 AM »
Sorry ive been so unhelpfull x(

Grieyls

• Undead Master
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2009, 05:51:38 AM »
No problem, kinda think this debate is over and done with anyway.  ;)