Author Topic: Suggestion: Leather/wood immunity vs. Rust Monsters  (Read 3110 times)

hugolino

• Dark Lord
Suggestion: Leather/wood immunity vs. Rust Monsters
« on: August 15, 2009, 10:23:09 PM »
Is it possible to make it so rust monsters do not devour wood weapons or leather armor? Or can the engine not handle that?

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
Re: Suggestion: Leather/wood immunity vs. Rust Monsters
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 10:46:05 PM »
Well if its wood or leather then you dead any way honestly you giong to fight something with a wooden sword might as well trip over your metal one and make it quick.

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 10:56:32 PM »
Thier are wooden scale mail for Druids and the such. I would not think that a rust monster would care to dine on that.

“In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power… Green Lantern’s light!”

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 10:58:26 PM »
Then reduce its ac by two. Wood isnt that protrective the blaunt trama doesnt spread out as well as it does with metal and it doesnt take slashes and stabs well ethier
And have you ever seen some one shoot an arrow threw a wooden shield well imagine that over your chest... Thous are the resons why we cant have decent wooden armor.

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 11:27:09 PM »
Then reduce its ac by two. Wood isnt that protrective the blaunt trama doesnt spread out as well as it does with metal and it doesnt take slashes and stabs well ethier
And have you ever seen some one shoot an arrow threw a wooden shield well imagine that over your chest... Thous are the resons why we cant have decent wooden armor.

I believe the druid armor is made out of Ironwood. Its just as strong as regular armor but as its actually wood and not metal its lighter and has a vulnerability to fire.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 11:50:18 PM »
Uhmm......... Arrows go thru plate as well. But this is a bit off topic sorry.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 11:52:43 PM by Avatar6666 »

“In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power… Green Lantern’s light!”

Kaldo

• Outlander
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 05:55:36 AM »
  I agree with the Idea. If you go with a Club or a Quarterstaff against the rust monster he wouldn't destroy it. When I first saw one of this monsters in PnP D&D I had to go with an improvised weapon but it worked. If you go with a maul against it, there is no metal to be destroyed and so, what happens is you can defeat him by normal means. Same to the Iron Wood armors and Clubs.

Now, the off topic thing 
Uhmm......... Arrows go thru plate as well. But this is a bit off topic sorry.

They go thru plate but do almost nothing to the wearer of the armor as seen here [youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3997HZuWjk[/youtube]

There is another post about Plate armors here in this forum. http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=16542.15

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 06:53:00 AM »
Sadly with Wooden melee weapons, you face a paradox.

( If I recall correctly ) Oozes are very resistant to Bludgeoning damage. After all, they're a blob of jelly, you smack them, they wobble a little and ignore it. They don't feel pain, they have no bones to break.

Most wooden weapons are bludgeoning damage. Quarterstaff, Club, Maul.... And insofar as I could imagine, it would be very hard to make the game check if you were using the special item 'Ironwood Longsword' as opposed to just a normal sword.

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 06:53:35 AM »
Wooden armor was never terribly big, but wooden shields and composite wood/leather shields were pretty much the standard. They're actually quite effective and much lighter.

Kaldo

• Outlander
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 08:06:34 AM »
Sadly with Wooden melee weapons, you face a paradox.

( If I recall correctly ) Oozes are very resistant to Bludgeoning damage. After all, they're a blob of jelly, you smack them, they wobble a little and ignore it. They don't feel pain, they have no bones to break.

Most wooden weapons are bludgeoning damage. Quarterstaff, Club, Maul.... And insofar as I could imagine, it would be very hard to make the game check if you were using the special item 'Ironwood Longsword' as opposed to just a normal sword.

Of course, against the Oozes it would make no difference. An Acid that can destroy metal can also destroy wood. I was talking about the Rust Monsters for they only eat metal and not wood or rock.

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 08:33:24 AM »
True that. Let's get us some wooden clubs with +2 damage vs. Abherrations!

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 09:09:37 AM »
Now if they can rust metal it means they have a fast acting acid which I bet can take out wood and leather to?

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 09:14:31 AM »
 :lol:  Not to get too scientific but rusting is the formation process of iron oxides and to a lesser extent aluminum oxides, which affects iron, aluminum and their alloys, like steel. So, wood being immune to the rusting effect makes sense. 8)
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 09:15:31 AM »
But what is it that the rust monster does to make the weapons rust so fast.

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 09:22:01 AM »
The hide of these creatures varies in color from a yellowish tan underside to a rust-red upper back. A rust monsters prehensile antennae can rust metals on contact.

The typical rust monster measures 5 feet long and 3 feet high, weighing 200 pounds.

A rust monster can scent a metal object from up to 90 feet away. When it detects one, it dashes toward the source and attempts to strike it with its antennae. The creature is relentless, chasing characters over long distances if they still possess intact metal objects but usually ceasing its attacks to devour a freshly rusted meal.

The creature targets the largest metal object available, striking first at armor, then at shields and smaller items. It prefers ferrous metals (steel or iron) over precious metals (such as gold or silver) but will devour the latter if given the opportunity.

Rust (Ex): A rust monster that makes a successful touch attack with its antennae causes the target metal to corrode, falling to pieces and becoming useless immediately. The touch can destroy up to a 10-foot cube of metal instantly. Magic armor and weapons, and other magic items made of metal, must succeed on a DC 17 Reflex save or be dissolved. The save DC is Constitution-based and includes a +4 racial bonus.

A metal weapon that deals damage to a rust monster corrodes immediately. Wooden, stone, and other nonmetallic weapons are unaffected.

This is the Rust Monster entry in the OGL System Reference Document. They are a classic D&D monter, right up there with Rot Grubs, and Gelatinous Cubes. I love them.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 09:24:52 AM »
wooden weapons would be on par as rusted blades having -1 in both ab and damage then take note that its wood and not steel or iron wood breaks... Espeacily after wacking things with it over and over again.

Smitehammer

• Undead Slayer
  • Frohe Weihnachten
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 09:32:46 AM »
You know what would rock against rust monsters, or ANY non-plate armored thing, really?  A macuahuitl.  Pity something like them can't be added.  It's a club of wood with sharpened obsidian glass placed in grooves along the side.  These things can rend flesh like no sword you've ever seen.

Here's an idea of what they looked like.

Apparently the pacific islanders had a similar weapon utilizing sharks' teeth.

Wouldn't the world be better off if we took nonsense more seriously?