You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: New Dungeon Near Ghakis?  (Read 4805 times)

kenpen

• Dark Power
New Dungeon Near Ghakis?
« on: July 10, 2009, 08:55:25 PM »
If anyone has found this place, let me know. Been all over the maps leading to Ghakis, around Kroftburg, and all the way up Ghakis. I must have missed it. I thought it might be the old hideout, but the place is still plot-locked. I thought "waking the dead" might have meant the ghost section, and perhaps I should have spent more time in that area. But, I can only take running around on Ghakis in circles for so long before I explode.

Any of you thrashers out there find it, let me know. I might run out there again in a little while and look once more.

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
Re: New Dungeon Near Ghakis?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 09:31:35 PM »
personally i find running around in mindless circles on ghakis to be soothing and relaxing honest! :lol:

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 10:35:32 PM »
Nevermind. Found it.

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
  • The Hellrabbits are watching you.
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 10:44:39 PM »
Nevermind. Found it.

I can't find it.
But I can't find the other stuff on Ghakis either.  :cry:

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

Vokan

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 02:37:27 AM »
Nevermind. Found it.

I can't find it.

Try looking near Ghakis, rather than on Ghakis.  8)

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 03:33:07 AM »
Nevermind. Found it.

I can't find it.

Try looking near Ghakis, rather than on Ghakis.  8)

I found it a while ago. But when i say i've scroured the entire Ghakis area, i mean everything south of the Dvergeheim entrance.

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

Dreaderick

• Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 11:56:28 AM »
Is this really the best place for a new dungeon? The dungeon densitiy is already pretty high in those parts.

I hope you have not been leading a double life, pretending to be wicked and being really good all the time. That would be hypocrisy. - Oscar Wilde

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 02:15:04 PM »
Is this really the best place for a new dungeon? The dungeon densitiy is already pretty high in those parts.
I would say, given the area we have mapped out on the server, it's probably the best place theme-wise.

shadymerchant

• Dark Power
  • Legendary Pimp Cat (Circa 1876)
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 05:51:16 PM »
I love the are and everything about it. great addition

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 07:08:16 PM »
Whats the RP potential in this dungeon? :)

Mrjunkie

• Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 02:42:30 PM »
It seems the Invidians attack the Neureni within the cave.

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 04:15:59 PM »
It's supposed to be that way... you walk in, and see what you've been reading about, if you read the plot items - the undead and invidians killing each other.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 04:29:09 PM »
Is it a Fighter Dungeon?

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 04:34:42 PM »
It's supposed to be that way... you walk in, and see what you've been reading about, if you read the plot items - the undead and invidians killing each other.

So no pc involvement other than clicking and reading?  Sounds perfect.   :mrgreen:
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 05:08:12 PM »

So no pc involvement other than clicking and reading?  Sounds perfect.   :mrgreen:

Not really. You have the Invidian area and the Undead area and a little overlap.

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2009, 05:12:28 PM »
Is it a Fighter Dungeon?

~Rex

You'd do well as a fighter on the first part. Knock-down spammers, and general heavy hitting fighters and crossbowmen. Discipline and AC are important, as are hitting them consistently and killing them before they surround you. The second part with the undead you could also take as a fighter, but the Khan is pretty strong and throws word of faith at least once during the fight, so I'd send someone in ahead of time to purposefully get hit with it.

But, yeah, a bunch of fighters could easily do it if they were tactical. There's nothing you absolutely need a spellcaster for, though there are a few spell-throwing revenants. I think it's built for a party of chars from 12-15, though. I'd bring friends, or you're going to get killed at a high spawn. The loot appears to be the same general loot drops as the coal mines (the loot drops on the undead bodies) so it's also a good haul.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009, 05:24:34 PM »
Is it a Fighter Dungeon?

~Rex

You'd do well as a fighter on the first part. Knock-down spammers, and general heavy hitting fighters and crossbowmen. Discipline and AC are important, as are hitting them consistently and killing them before they surround you. The second part with the undead you could also take as a fighter, but the Khan is pretty strong and throws word of faith at least once during the fight, so I'd send someone in ahead of time to purposefully get hit with it.

But, yeah, a bunch of fighters could easily do it if they were tactical. There's nothing you absolutely need a spellcaster for, though there are a few spell-throwing revenants. I think it's built for a party of chars from 12-15, though. I'd bring friends, or you're going to get killed at a high spawn. The loot appears to be the same general loot drops as the coal mines (the loot drops on the undead bodies) so it's also a good haul.

Yeah not really interested in another dungeon where a Fighter can function, until almost at the end and everything need +2 DR or more to hit and turns into spell chucking critters hiding behind plot doors.  Ac being important reminds me to much of a couple of other previous Fighter things where their AB was roughly twice that as a fighter, meaning you needed every defensive Buff in the game to begin with.  Hence, Cleric Dungeon.  Not Fighter Dungeon.

Still, I'll round up a few folks and go take a look then render judgment.

~Rex

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 06:01:14 PM »
I can solo the place with an 18th level cleric. You'll be fine with a group of 4/5 12-15th level fighters. It will be a good slug, and you won't be able to rush into battle without some tactics, or they will mob you and kill you.

There are only 3 spell-throwing revenants in the entire place, I believe and ALL of them you can zerg-rush, because they're behind doors you bash through before you can leap in and pound them into dust while keeping them knocked down, which should be easy with high level fighter AB.

The last room is about half archers, half fighters, and the boss. Lure him back to the narrow areas, and work on him before you worry about anything else. He's strong as hell, but I don't think you need +2 weapons to hit him or anything else in there. The rest of the things in his room are easy to mop up, as long as you're not rushing in and trying to stand toe-to-toe with everything at the same time.

But, I guess we've been over this before: this is the closest to a pure fighter dungeon you'll likely get, without any spell-caster being able to demolish it.

failed.bard

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009, 06:44:25 PM »
3 fighters and a buffing caster can do the place with difficulty.  Hard to say how it would have gone at the end if the Khan hadn't decided he'd rather fight for Maria than against her though.    :)

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2009, 06:59:40 PM »
If you can disarm his sword, he'll use his bow or his fists, and both are preferable. He has a boat-load of HP, and he KDs randomly, and he hits for a LOT of damaged, but he's not impossible. Just don't get WoFed in a group with him there, or you'll all be screwed long enough for him to really smash you (unless you have blind fight, which any good fighter build really should.) Four strong, pure fighters should just run in and run out back into the halls, and lure them into battle in narrow spaces where you can get the Khan alone. He's easy enough to do then. Having some elemental damage potions on your swords wouldn't hurt either. His AC isn't super super good.

Kendaric

• Undead Master
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2009, 07:15:03 AM »
So unusual fighter types (e.g. DEX based fighters or generally fighter concepts without a very high STR) won't stand much of a chance there?
Are there any places we can actually fight with these unconventional "builds" (god, how I HATE the term "build" for a character concept) without having to rely on having casters with us? I'm not expecting to be able to get away without having a pocket caster around in most places, but I'd really appreciate to know which dungeons I could actually dare to visit without a caster (having to knock down opponents isn't an option for me, I generally can't do that due to not playing optimized character concepts).

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2009, 08:08:33 AM »
You can do this place with a group of straight fighters, 12-15th level. (its made for groups, not just solos, so take someone with you.) Just expect to rest and have a hard time at high spawn if you don't know how to PvM.

And, btw, if anyone actually cares, the door to the inside area (where the altar was) is still bugged. After the first group that goes through, its unbashable and you still can't get into the area until after a reset.

failed.bard

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2009, 09:15:15 AM »
  Maria was there with Kayne, Wallace, and Izabela Popa, primarily buffing.  The only blasting she did was when they had to run away from the Khan the first time, and I think she only summoned five helm horrors for support the whole dungeon. 
  I'm not sure why there's so much resistance to the idea of balanced parties.  Maria and Kayne, a witch, and a witch hating barbarian, were in a dungeon together, for entirely in character reasons.  It made for some great roleplay, especially the reactions of all three to some of Maria's new quirks. 
  If we had a mid level cleric with us, just for the AC buffs and healing, it would have been better, and a bard would have been a bonus.
  Bear in mind it is a high level dungeon, so a balanced party is going to have an easier time than a one dimensional party.
  As an example, the best silver mine trip I was ever on had one bard, one cleric, one druid, two (or three, I can't remember) fighters, one wizard, and one sorc.  A balanced party is a beautiful thing.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2009, 09:20:35 AM »
  Maria was there with Kayne, Wallace, and Izabela Popa, primarily buffing.  The only blasting she did was when they had to run away from the Khan the first time, and I think she only summoned five helm horrors for support the whole dungeon. 
  I'm not sure why there's so much resistance to the idea of balanced parties.  Maria and Kayne, a witch, and a witch hating barbarian, were in a dungeon together, for entirely in character reasons.  It made for some great roleplay, especially the reactions of all three to some of Maria's new quirks. 
  If we had a mid level cleric with us, just for the AC buffs and healing, it would have been better, and a bard would have been a bonus.
  Bear in mind it is a high level dungeon, so a balanced party is going to have an easier time than a one dimensional party.
  As an example, the best silver mine trip I was ever on had one bard, one cleric, one druid, two (or three, I can't remember) fighters, one wizard, and one sorc.  A balanced party is a beautiful thing.

All for balanced parties.  Provided that the reasons fit the setting and the RP is Justifiable.  Last trip Otto took to the ice queen, Fit the setting and was Justifiable.

~Rex

Mrjunkie

• Dark Lord
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2009, 09:28:29 AM »
I took my fighter/rogue there today, it is do'able for a mid-high level fighter party opposed to the other melee dungeons with sneaks where you will need a cleric as you get constantly showerd with crippling strikes and death attacks.

Its a fun place with depth in the story line, a few more tweaks and it will be a awesome place for those melee'ers who do not wish to travel with casters.