You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Suggestions? Barovian, Ezrite Paladin and Undead Hunter....  (Read 3022 times)

Philhelm

• Undead Master
Disclaimer:  Before someone flips their lid at the very concept, I had sent a few PMs to a DM about the Morninglord and Ezrite factions, and asked about the possibility of creating a Barovian Paladin.  I was told that it wasn't out of the question, and that she would like to see a character bio.  I've already sent the following bio, but I'd like to get comments, suggestions, insertions, deletions, and smart remarks from the community, to polish my character concept a bit.  Note, that the character is also supposed to be a non-traditional paladin, in that he isn't the stern, knightly character that most paladins tend to be.  A Paladin could easily use a whip or morningstar, wear leather armor, and be called Simon Belmont, for instance.  Also, as for character motivation, I tried to avoid the typical, undead killed his entire family and he seeks justice, schtick.

Here is the biography of my Barovian Paladin concept that you requested.  Sorry, it’s *a lot* longer than I had intended.  I have a bulleted, Cliff’s Notes version of the general character concept at the bottom, for convenience.

Viktor
Level 2 Paladin of Ezra
Barovian Male; Age: 29

(Subject to minor change, possibly)
Str: 13, Dex: 14, Con: 10, Int: 13, Wis: 14, Cha: 14
Skills: Concentration (4), Discipline (4), Lore (4), Persuade (4)
Feats: Luck of Heroes, Point Blank Shot

Viktor was blessed with a rather fortunate childhood; his father was a fairly prosperous Vallaki brewer who was able to ensure that his son had never wanted for much, and was able to finance Viktor’s many hobbies.  Viktor was especially fond of books, particularly romanticized stories of dashing, heroic figures committing noble deeds, slaying monsters, and rescuing beautiful women.  Perhaps it was Viktor’s readings that had brought discontent to his life; he was quite prone to daydreaming, and was never satisfied with the mundane.

Viktor had always taken to bards; their wild stories, love of song, and general flair for the dramatic had always resonated well with him.  Indeed, at one point, Viktor had thought of taking up the life of a bard, writing tales which would allow him to live vicariously through the extraordinary feats of fictional heroes.  He had even managed to convince his father to purchase a lute, when he had brought up his new (among many) ambition.  While Viktor was able to learn how to play the instrument, perhaps his method of artistry was too logical and rigid; he was never able to perform on a more emotional, and inspiring, level that many bards were able to do.  Frustrated, Viktor finally gave up the prospect of becoming a travelling entertainer.

Viktor had thought about joining the Vallaki Garda, becoming a hunter, or perhaps even becoming a mercenary, among many other things; anything to avoid the boring prospect of taking up his father’s profession.  It seemed that Viktor would be resigned to his fate, until he met an Anchorite of Ezra.  While Viktor was not receptive to the Anchorite’s message at first, he had a natural curiosity, and just had to know what occurred behind the closed doors of the Ezrite temple during their services.

Initially, he had difficulty putting much stock into the Ezrite faith, but at the same time he had felt drawn to it for some unknown reason.  Listening to the Anchorite about the noble sacrifice of Ezra, and her role as the Guardian in the Mists, he became very receptive to listening to the other aspects of the faith.  Ezra, despite being a woman, embodied the virtue and heroism that Viktor longed for in himself.  Viktor began to think that he too, could be a Guardian of the Mists after a fashion.  Perhaps the theology of the Ezrites was appealing to the point that Viktor had tricked himself into believing, desperate to be something that he was not.  Perhaps in his fervent desires to escape the mundane, his self-delusion became so complete, that he no longer held any doubts about the Ezrite faith.  Or, perhaps there was a void inside of Viktor, which had been filled by the guiding hand of Ezra.  Whatever the truth may be, over the years, Viktor had developed the feeling that to be one of the faithful of Ezra was his destiny, and that all of his past failures were simply the road that had led him to his eventual destiny.  Indeed, he has yet to abandon his current undertaking, unlike many of his previous endeavors.  For the first time in his life, Viktor had felt that he had found his purpose in life.  Sometimes, he can feel a presence, as though he were not alone, his only explanation being that Ezra herself must be watching over him from the Mists.

(to be continued…it’s getting a bit long and I have some notes and questions)

NOTES:
-How should a Paladin of Ezra act?  For instance, the Paladin archetype is typically based off of the medieval Catholic knight, and the ideals associated with that.  Other than the tenets, I have read nothing that really limits and Ezrite Paladin’s conduct.  (I’m specifically thinking of things like drinking, cursing, chastity, gambling, etc…not that I intend to cyber or curse in-game, or anything like that.  I’m just wondering if the traditional “sins” are viewed as such by the Ezrite faith.  I suppose I feel, depending upon the tenets of various faiths, that just because one is a LG holy paladin, it doesn’t mean that he can’t hope to be married one day, curse if a brick falls on his head, enjoy a drink with his friends, make friendly wagers, etc.

*He is not a knight-like character.  He prefers to fight with crossbow and (eventually) silver longsword.  With the idea of being an undead hunter at some point, if asked his profession, he would likely say, “Viktor, undead hunter and faithful of Ezra”…or something like that.  At his current level, he wouldn’t say that of course.

*More of the “lone hero” type, than a Templar stationed to defend the Ezrite churches.  Perhaps he’s on errantry of a sort?

*Has an affinity for bards (unless they are witches).  Despite often disagreeing with their philosophies, he enjoys a friendly debate, and their dramatic personalities.

*Enjoys collecting fine wines and spirits.  Considers himself as a connessieur of sorts.

*Arrogant, not in the sense that he looks down on others, but that he tries to hard to be better than others.

*While he is good and noble, he also enjoys being the center of attention, and receiving praise for his deeds.  He is aware of this flaw, and through prayer, asks himself whether he is always serving Ezra, or rather, himself.

*Doesn’t trust outlanders for the most part, but differentiates between outlanders who are the faithful of Ezra, and those who are not.  He has learned to unflinchingly respect the outlanders who are Ezrites.

*Doesn’t trust wielders of arcane magic, and for now, would not associate with them.  Does not fear good-aligned divine magic, as he has witnessed such things from the Ezrite clergy.

*Does not trust equipment that is obviously magical, but would keep such things to give to church officials so that they can determine whether or not such things are influenced by evil sorcery.

*Very dramatic in his words and mannerisms.  Often demonstrates over the top bravado, which sometimes borders on self-aggrandizement.

*Has a well-developed sense of humor, which is disarming to those who would expect a lecture on theology.  Also, his companions would likely be comforted by his presence due in part to this.

*Does not attempt to overtly convert people, although he would gladly help those who approach them.  Part of this is due to the fact that he believes that the Anchorites are better suited for this, the other part is that he is somewhat fatalistic; he believes that those who are meant to be the faithful of Ezra will become such when the time is right.  Also, he believes his role in spreading the faith is to draw people in by being a remarkable example of the Ezrite faith.

*Not a womanizer, but if he were to save a “damsel in distress”, and he were to flirt with such a woman, what’s the harm?

*The aspect of the faith which he embodies the most, would be as a guardian against the Legions of the Night.

*While he would destroy all undead mercilessly, if possible, he would attempt to cure those afflicted with lycanthropy (assuming he has such knowledge in the future…and that the cure for lycanthropy is supported in-game).

*Feels especially bound to Barovians, of which he is one, and hopes to defend them against the creatures that would harm them.

*Is still not at ease with the night, but his faith and the weight of responsibility to combat evil acts as a source of strength.

*Sometimes would rather be in a cozy inn, sharing jokes and stories over a cup of wine, than hunting the Legions of the Night; however, he realizes it is his duty to act as a guardian, and that he must sacrifice as Ezra had before him.  Sometimes he wonders if he will truly be up to the task when his moment of self-sacrifice, which he feels is inevitable, is upon him.

*I’m wondering if a non-knightly paladin character concept would be forbidden to use flintlocks.
What is the halberd made of?  Steel! Steel! Cold, hard steel!
What is the spirit of the halberd?  Killing! Killing! Killing without mercy!
What makes the green grass grow?  Blood! Blood! Bright, red blood!

Kung Fu Orc

• Supreme Overlord
  • Dark Power
  • Alchoholics Incorperated
Re: Suggestions? Barovian, Ezrite Paladin and Undead Hunter....
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 08:55:24 PM »
1. Lower the dex to 13, add that point into str. you'll thank me. Paladins are supposed to be wearing fullplate as soon as possible anyway. And yes I know he's a crossbow wielder, but you have 14 wis- give him zen archery. Add 1 or 2 points to str as needed to boost your carry limit, add the rest to cha. Divine Favor + Divine Might + Crossbow with +2 or 3 mighty = smitetastic ranged dmg at higher lvls. Infact I think there's a paladin that does this already named Brynn Anatov, perhaps that player wants to chime in?

2. Sounds like you have a realistic, flawed, human paladin. BLASPHEMY! PALADINS ALL ACT THE SAME WAY AND HAVE THE SAME EXACT VOWS!!! Ehh, the church of Ezra (home faith) is more about debt and duty then the concept of good, so I expect chastity would be important insofar as marriage is considered an important, sacred legal contract in Borca. They would have many tales of adulterous husbands or wives bringing ruin to their family. However, I do not think associating with women outside of wedlock would recieve especial condemnation (remember Catholic priests often utilized the services of whores up till the protestant reformation). However you would be expected to associate with only faithful of Ezra, and if your fooling around with another faithful you should be marrying her and making more followers. Catch 22.

3. Flintlocks wouldn't be a problem except you need special permission from the burgomaster to have one. Home faith is big on legalities. Also, it wouldn't take your dex or wis modifier into account, so it wouldn't be useful except as a weapon of last resort until you reached high level. But you probably wouldn't get one till then anyway.

4. Curing Lycans isn't out of the window persay but it's very rare and the home faith treats them as legions. This could be a source of internal struggle for him as his moral views skew from the homefaith. It's something Nell Ward struggles with often, for instance, being a cleric of the Pure Heart sect. Much of the drama surrounding the death of hunseker centered on this theological conflict.

5. In any case, as long as his vices are in moderation, it should be perfectly fluffy.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 08:57:14 PM by Kung Fu Orc »

Daciana Varzaru- "If fate is a principle beyond Human comprehension which capriciously torments man, then it is karma that man confront fate with sorcery."

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 12:08:46 AM »
1.You cant flrit with a damzel vow of chasity every paly has to take it lol
never know when that can blossem and poor paly have a mental deliama

2.your a paly you dont need luck of the heros you have an abilty where your cha mod is added to saves makeing you saves godly so that can go get soothing presence insted its a good rp feat for palys.

3.he shouldnt mind magic and the like so much beacuse you as a paly get "blessings from your gods* or divine magic.

4.A paly can use a flint lock if your a paly for a more lient god that is more free rather then law bound

5.lone hero it looks good on paper but people start to make fun of you and outcast you yes ive done it so i know how it feels

6.take a anthore point from dex and thro it onto int you +2 mod means two speaks and that means less comunitcation problems trust me it helps in the end alot.

Well coming from a failed paliden hope it works out for you and do expect a vist from a john to try and twist your ways. *evil laugh*

failed.bard

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 01:58:34 AM »
  Don't make him home faith, paladins are far better suited to the pure hearts sect.  In truth, you can't properly play home faith without getting nudges toward Neutral, since there will be times your vows ~require~ you to leave non-ezrites in harms way, or to die, to protect the faithful.

I'm not going to comment about if curing lycanthropes is possible, that's something to discover ICly, but again, that fits the pure hearts philosophy, not home faiths.  95% of the time, you couldn't ensure that there's absolutely no risk to the faithful in attempting to "save" the lycanthropes, so despite your wishes, you'd have to kill them, or break your vows.

Drinking and womanizing are fine, in extreme moderation.  You have to bear in mind also the church frowns upon relationships / marriages with others outside the faith.

Build wise, unless you're planning on taking the dodge feat, start with a 12 dex, and 14 str and int.  You should have points in healing, if you're going to follow a god that serves as guide, protector, and healer of Her people.

yakon

• Waffle Boy
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 07:24:53 AM »
You have to bear in mind also the church frowns upon relationships / marriages with others outside the faith.

Marriages outside of the Faith need to be requested.
Inquisitors will then investigate and do background checks on the said person.

And its usually then when the couples fall appart.
Because they either have the convert option or well try and hope the Praesidius gives his approval.

Also keep in mind Ezra Faction are like detectives, we first investigate and then act.

Also when you join the faction you need to think about team spirit, you can do the lone wolf act but be prepared to get scolded by the Anchorites and Templar Commander.

Philhelm

• Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 08:49:47 AM »
Thanks for the input all.

I guess the first thing to go over is the Paladin alignment and the Home Faith.  Surely playing a paladin of a lawful neutral sect shouldn't cause too many problems, right?  The Morninglord should be a bit trickier, since the CG alignment is two points away.  As far as the Home Faith, I think it would fit his role of a hunter of the Legions of the Night better.  I don't know...the alignment thing and paladins get a bit screwy at times, especially when taking different deities into account.

failed.bard

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 09:07:31 AM »
The LE Darkonese sect are more the hunters.  Home faith, in everything they do, have to consider the implications of their actions on the other faithful.  If an Ezrite gets a reputation as an effective undead hunter, always out trying to track more down, it would as likely lead to other members of the church being targetted as the hunter himself.

I'll quote part of what Yakon said here:
Also keep in mind Ezra Faction are like detectives, we first investigate and then act.

Also when you join the faction you need to think about team spirit, you can do the lone wolf act but be prepared to get scolded by the Anchorites and Templar Commander.
  The Ezrite church spends quite a bit of time investigating before it takes any actions.  Individuals in "the field" might make reactionary decisions contrary to that, but in general, investigate, then act.

A paladin of home faith can certainly be done, I just wanted to make sure you realized that you would probably be getting alignment shifts for following the sects tenets.

Philhelm

• Undead Master
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 01:26:38 PM »
That's where the paladin is kind of screwy as a class, as it places you in catch-22 positions when it comes to non-LG deities.  On the one hand, adhering to certain tenets could affect alignment, but on the other hand, he would be following his deity, who grants him his powers (or the Dark Powers, but that's another story).  I suppose Ezra works in mysterious ways.  I'd imagine that there would at least be some leeway for things like that, since becoming a fallen paladin by following the tenets of a deity seems a bit odd.  But then, it should be easier to balance than paladins of the Morninglord, who is two places removed from a LG alignment.  After all, it's not like paladins of Helm or St. Cuthbert become a fallen paladin every Sunday.  I suppose this is something to discuss with a DM, since paladins are interpreted in so many different ways, and at the end of the day, the DM's make the decisions on such things.

Also, the fact that the Home Faith is Lawful Neutral is just supposed to be an objective, outside observation of the faith's ethics/morality.  The people in the congregation wouldn't all be LN, and wouldn't think of the Faith as anything but good, I'd imagine.

Kung Fu Orc

• Supreme Overlord
  • Dark Power
  • Alchoholics Incorperated
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 07:22:29 PM »
Also remember that Anchorites are the only ones officially acknowledge to recieve divine powers, and Paladins are very rare. I got a Halfling Paladin stashed somewhere that did her best to hide her powers for fear and shame of being accused of heresy due to a brush with a witch of Hala as a child. A paladin doesn't really know what a 'paladin' is.

Daciana Varzaru- "If fate is a principle beyond Human comprehension which capriciously torments man, then it is karma that man confront fate with sorcery."