You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Exhaustion  (Read 28560 times)

Metal_ash

• Dark Lord
Re: Exhaustion
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2009, 07:55:10 AM »
This also be a bit odd as you sometimes seems to not get exhausted, and the next time you get exhausted by doing exactly the same thing with the same character.
Hitting a log for 7min, that is the time it took me to get exhausted.
Next time it took me a bit under 5 mins to get exhausted.
Exact time first time was 7.04 next time exact time was 4,48.
(yes, i used a clock to time it)

Can also mention that when this was tested it was right after a rest.
Also both times carry the same weight on the character and such.

How can it be that same character with same weight both time and both times was right after a rest and such, still it is a difference in almost 2 mins and 30 seconds???

This is what i meant with saying the system sometimes seems to have a life on its own and kicks in when ever it feels like it.

//Cheers

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2009, 10:14:20 AM »
This also be a bit odd as you sometimes seems to not get exhausted, and the next time you get exhausted by doing exactly the same thing with the same character.
Hitting a log for 7min, that is the time it took me to get exhausted.
Next time it took me a bit under 5 mins to get exhausted.
Exact time first time was 7.04 next time exact time was 4,48.
(yes, i used a clock to time it)

Can also mention that when this was tested it was right after a rest.
Also both times carry the same weight on the character and such.

How can it be that same character with same weight both time and both times was right after a rest and such, still it is a difference in almost 2 mins and 30 seconds???

This is what i meant with saying the system sometimes seems to have a life on its own and kicks in when ever it feels like it.

//Cheers

I since stopped playing Khansekhem but I had this same thing with him all the time. I have noticed with Triela that she can run from the outskirts to about the fishing lodge before getting the first warning "somewhat exhausted" but even if I sit still for over five minutes I can only run about half way back before I get the warning message again. I also once ran until she was "very exhausted" I settled in to wait for the exhaustion to go away (I forgot to time how long it took but it was a while). When it did finally go and the penalties vanished I started to run again and got a third of the way across the farm area with the beetle lair before getting "very exhausted" again. No other warnings or stages, it went strait back to "very exhausted" 

When hunting mink I can be dancing on the edge of exhaustion for the entire game day if I do not rest when I get the first warning message.  Its like a stone around your neck as soon as you start getting messages.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2009, 11:24:50 AM »

I'm starting to see the same thing.  I ran all the way from the village to Midway, no message.  I rested at Midway and then ran to the Asylum, got a "slightly exhausted" message.  Nothing had changed. 

No fighting, no herb picking (ninja or otherwise  ;) ), nothing was different. 

There's no discernable pattern here. 
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

failed.bard

« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2009, 12:08:09 PM »
  Soren said the script checks for activity level once a minute, to keep resource usage down.  Because of that, if you're unlucky timing wise, 5 minutes and one second of activity could be the same as 7 minutes and 58 seconds.
  Also, if you happened to slow to a walk exactly when it checked one of those times, it would think you had walked that whole minute and average your activity based on that.

boompowclash

« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2009, 12:32:42 PM »
  Soren said the script checks for activity level once a minute, to keep resource usage down.  Because of that, if you're unlucky timing wise, 5 minutes and one second of activity could be the same as 7 minutes and 58 seconds.
  Also, if you happened to slow to a walk exactly when it checked one of those times, it would think you had walked that whole minute and average your activity based on that.

:idea:

My brain just creased a few new wrinkles with this enlightenment.  Thank you.  :lol:

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2009, 01:16:02 PM »

:idea:

My brain just creased a few new wrinkles with this enlightenment.  Thank you.  :lol:

My brain-wrinkling was preceded by advanced eye glazing.   :lol:

Who knew walking from Pt. A to Pt. B involved so much.   It wasn't like I was picking mushrooms out of season. 
Sig by Garison

Hunter Thompson

Thanks Aahz

Smitehammer

• Undead Slayer
  • Frohe Weihnachten
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2009, 07:46:08 PM »
Seems like it'd be a lot easier to just get rid of the system.  All the effort in tweaking it might better be put to use working on other things, like advancing a language system or delicious ridable horses.  To ride, of course.
Wouldn't the world be better off if we took nonsense more seriously?

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2009, 12:04:24 AM »
Seems like it'd be a lot easier to just get rid of the system.  All the effort in tweaking it might better be put to use working on other things, like advancing a language system or delicious ridable horses.  To ride, of course.

.................... and all one hears is the sound of crickets .................................
Sig by Garison

Hunter Thompson

Thanks Aahz

failed.bard

« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2009, 12:04:43 AM »
  The system isn't that complicated, really.  In short:

:arrow: Running for extended periods of time make you tired slowly
 :arrow: Fighting for an extended period of time makes you tired slowly.
 :arrow: Running fight to fight, not taking any time to rest in between, makes you tired moderately quickly
 :arrow: Carrying more than twice your max encumbrance makes you tired quickly.  I'm not sure if this scales based on how much over.
 :arrow: Walking while massively overloaded, then fighting while still massively overloaded, makes you tired insanely quickly.

I've never seen the exhaustion system affect anyone not doing one of these five things, and they all seem reasonable to me.  If there are things outside of those that are adding to fatigue, then yes, I would agree it needs more tweaking.  This is based on the times I've seen it kick in with my characters.

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
  • The Hellrabbits are watching you.
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2009, 01:44:25 AM »
 The system isn't that complicated, really.  In short:

:arrow: Running for extended periods of time make you tired slowly
 :arrow: Fighting for an extended period of time makes you tired slowly.
 :arrow: Running fight to fight, not taking any time to rest in between, makes you tired moderately quickly
 :arrow: Carrying more than twice your max encumbrance makes you tired quickly.  I'm not sure if this scales based on how much over.
 :arrow: Walking while massively overloaded, then fighting while still massively overloaded, makes you tired insanely quickly.

I've never seen the exhaustion system affect anyone not doing one of these five things, and they all seem reasonable to me.  If there are things outside of those that are adding to fatigue, then yes, I would agree it needs more tweaking.  This is based on the times I've seen it kick in with my characters.

It's not always slowly. I've gone from sitting still for 10 minutes while chatting to exhausted enough to incur spell failure in literally 1 second. I didn't have a problem with this system until recently. Now it seems like i'm getting exhausted all the bloody time.

It really doesn't add anything but frustration.

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

peluscious

• Undead Master
  • The incredible off-topic man!
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2009, 01:50:27 AM »
That's why i say there's something wrong with the scripts. Looks like it varies wildly from character to character or from player to player. Not sure here.
Until now, its been very rare to be exhausted for me, so i don't care.

peluscious

• Undead Master
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2009, 03:22:15 AM »
Hm... i spoke too soon.
I rested, then i ran (from the northern part of the slums sewers to the prancing nymph) and got completely exhausted. I still had to wait 1 hour to rest again.
Pretty quick eh?
14 str, 12 con, not overburdened and i didn't fight anything in the way.

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
  • The Hellrabbits are watching you.
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2009, 06:21:05 AM »
That's why i say there's something wrong with the scripts. Looks like it varies wildly from character to character or from player to player. Not sure here.
Until now, its been very rare to be exhausted for me, so i don't care.
Yeah, until now, it's had minimal effect. Probably the intended effect.
But now, it seems like all I have to do is turn my head and I'm exhausted.
It's getting old.
Fast.

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

hugolino

• Dark Lord
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2009, 06:26:34 AM »
As a spellcaster, I've appreciated the greater opportunities to rest thanks to exhaustion. Yay! :)

Wannabe_Irish

• New to the Mists
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2009, 08:55:49 AM »
Does it take armor into account while resting?

Courage is not being fearless, it's doing what has to be done, despite being frightened.

peluscious

• Undead Master
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2009, 09:42:30 AM »
As a spellcaster, I've appreciated the greater opportunities to rest thanks to exhaustion. Yay! :)

Hey! Its helping a caster! Nerf the exhaustion system!
Sorry, just kidding. Back on topic.
 :)

Maybe the script should be made simpler. Like you have to rest from time to time, even if you're just standing there, or sitting even.
People get sleepy you know...
It would be less realistic in some aspects, more in others, but the real advantage would be less server's CPU usage, less strange stuff happening, less complaints (let me dream please) and it wouldn't be getting rid of the thing completely. I don't think we're better of with no exhaustion at all.

shadymerchant

• Dark Power
  • Legendary Pimp Cat (Circa 1876)
« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2009, 09:49:44 PM »
I've gone from no activity to exhausted by running across the length of two maps

second level character
high con
not encumbered

maybe not so bad, except with ECL this means a lot of time spent being a low level, easily exhausted character. With a low AB, this usually means becoming exhausted and losing more AB before you can even finish the fight.

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2009, 10:02:21 PM »
Level 11 druid with Con 12, Str 10  using bulls strength to not be encumbered became exhausted at what appeared to be the same exact rate as a level 18? fighter/barbarian who has a lot of con and I am assuming higher strength than 10.  This was while primarily running around, some combat where the fighter was fighting and the druid cast the occasional spell.

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2009, 10:10:40 PM »
my problem mostly is i dont mind to make the game a lil more real.

but i mostly above all simply wish to play the game.........this aint helping with that exp
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Smitehammer

• Undead Slayer
  • Frohe Weihnachten
« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2009, 10:18:52 PM »

but i mostly above all simply wish to play the game.........this aint helping with that exp

I've got to agree with this one.  No one plays PnP to roleplay their characters napping.  Lots of people only have a few hours a week or so to dedicate to playing here, and this is pretty much what it must feel like.  The XP caps usually keep people from pharmzorzing all-the-time non-stop anyway.  If I only have two hours on a Saturday night to kick the collective ass of all things 'were', that's what I would like to do.  My character can sleep the other 166 hours of the week.
Wouldn't the world be better off if we took nonsense more seriously?

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2009, 11:01:37 PM »

I've got to agree with this one.  No one plays PnP to roleplay their characters napping.  Lots of people only have a few hours a week or so to dedicate to playing here, and this is pretty much what it must feel like.  The XP caps usually keep people from pharmzorzing all-the-time non-stop anyway.  If I only have two hours on a Saturday night to kick the collective ass of all things 'were', that's what I would like to do.  My character can sleep the other 166 hours of the week.

But, this is an RP server.   :lol:
Sig by Garison

Hunter Thompson

Thanks Aahz

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2009, 11:59:06 PM »
Pssh id rather rock it out can kick were ass for 2 hours an sleep 166 then maybe my merchant wouldnt get tried so fast even if hes a insomniac.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #72 on: July 04, 2009, 07:43:57 AM »
Sorry I haven't been around looking at the characters that face anomalies with the system, but I've been busy packaging and preparing for moving the past two weeks. Meanwhile, keep the observations coming - also, when listing details of what characters you experience it with, it would be a great help to also know the classes. Thanks :)

failed.bard

« Reply #73 on: July 04, 2009, 07:59:16 AM »
  Maria, sorc, unarmoured, 14 con, reached slightly exhausted after running from the western outskirts of vallaki to midway, hasted of course.

Bolo, being a monk, wouldn't be wearing armour either, and would be a similar movement rate to Maria hasted.  it does seem odd Maria can run so much further than him before getting tired, but I don't know all the variables considered.

Shadowthrone

« Reply #74 on: July 04, 2009, 09:12:41 AM »
Is it possible the script assumes the default walking movement speed as "normal" and therefore characters with increased movement speed, i.e. monks, are considered to be running?