Author Topic: +2 vs Magical Beasts?  (Read 3930 times)

kenpen

• Dark Power
+2 vs Magical Beasts?
« on: June 19, 2009, 05:40:52 PM »
Which animals on here are considered magical beasts? The dweomerbane has a +2 enchancement vs them, but I'm not even sure which things here are magical beasts, and which are something else...

KoopaFanatic

• Iä! Iä! Puckwolf fhtagn!
  • Dark Lord
Re: +2 vs Magical Beasts?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 06:10:46 PM »
Any of the tamable spiders:  wraith and phase spiders, at least, and there might be others. According to the SRD, worgs, winter wolves and stirges are too.  I don't know if the cave wolves are "winter wolves," and I don't think there are stirges anymore, but none of the other SRD magical beasts show up on POTM that I know of.

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 06:13:07 PM »
What about shadow spiders, shadow crag cats, shadow asps? Yeti? Dire bears? The dragon?

Dreaderick

• Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 06:45:03 PM »
Looks like you're about to go on a nice trial and error run with that blade. Good luck  :mrgreen:

I hope you have not been leading a double life, pretending to be wicked and being really good all the time. That would be hypocrisy. - Oscar Wilde

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power

KoopaFanatic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 03:02:37 AM »
I'm pretty sure shadow spiders and ebon tigers are -- you can animal empathy them, so they're not undead or outsiders.  Dragons are dragon type.  Yetis are either monstrous humanoids or giants, depending on which d20 version was ported over.  (The default CEP yetis are monstrous humanoids.)

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 03:26:36 AM »
Ah, well, if the shadow animals in silver mines and coal mines are considered magical beasts, then this sword isn't complete crap after all! +2 enhance is nothing too shabby.

darkpriest

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 05:20:11 AM »
Well you can always ask a DM to give you a hand and drop such beauty for your enjoyment -> http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Tarrasque  :mrgreen:

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 11:02:06 AM »
Ah. If only a tarrasque would come rolling through. I need some of the awesome armor that can be made from their hide, and some of the weapons that can be made from their teeth...

vlowe72

• Undead Master
  • If you bore me, I shall take my revenge.
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 11:44:35 AM »
Ah. If only a tarrasque would come rolling through. I need some of the awesome armor that can be made from their hide, and some of the weapons that can be made from their teeth...

Just remember one thing.... Just because it has stats... doesn't mean you can kill it.

And now ladies and gentlemen comes the time where I relieve you of the burden of your failed and useless lives.  But if you gotta go, go with a smile!

Shadowthrone

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 07:16:25 PM »
There are actually quite a few magical beasts made, though not all of them are regular spawns in dungeons. But you never know if a DM might drop some on you :evillol:

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 07:30:47 PM »
Even if they do get spawned, would they need a +2 to hit?!  That is the important question.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2009, 07:47:36 PM »
Even if they do get spawned, would they need a +2 to hit?!  That is the important question.
Some might, but even if you wouldn't NEED +2 to hit them, it's still nice to have ;)

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2009, 07:48:48 PM »
It's enhancement, too, so extra damage is always good.

Wids

• We don't need no stinkin' avatars!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2009, 08:17:10 PM »
Seven Ways to Kill the Tarrasque on thirteen experience levels or less.
Heh...I like the last one most of all.  Fear the humble allip!   :twisted:

Agreed.  Once you start flailing on a pride of manticores (who, incidentally, can be hit with ordinary weapons, let alone +2 weapons...), those extra two points of damage per round can really start to add up.  After five rounds, you've essentially nailed the manticores with a bonus max-damage heavy crossbow attack.  What's wrong with that?  :teach:

KoopaFanatic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2009, 10:24:54 PM »
The default NWN gargoyles are magical beasts too.  (Which makes more sense than the monstrous humanoids they are in the 3.5 SRD...)

Wids

• Dark Lord
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2009, 01:55:36 AM »
The default NWN gargoyles are magical beasts too.  (Which makes more sense than the monstrous humanoids they are in the 3.5 SRD...)
...and they used to be constructs back in the Red Box and AD&D days, since powerful magic-users made them from stone.  So magic weapons Vs. Constructs were particularly effective against them.  Man those gargoyles have been through so many transfigurations....  :?

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2009, 08:38:13 AM »
Agreed.  Once you start flailing on a pride of manticores (who, incidentally, can be hit with ordinary weapons, let alone +2 weapons...), those extra two points of damage per round can really start to add up.  After five rounds, you've essentially nailed the manticores with a bonus max-damage heavy crossbow attack.  What's wrong with that?  :teach:

Well when you talk about the use of a longsword when your character has weapon specialization in bastard sword... that damage tends to not impress! :P

Wids

• Dark Lord
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2009, 02:22:34 PM »

Well when you talk about the use of a longsword when your character has weapon specialization in bastard sword... that damage tends to not impress! :P
A regular bastard sword does 1d10 damage.  That's 1 to 10 damage, not counting Strength bonuses and such.

A Dweomerbane longsword with a +2 Enhancement does 1d8 +2 damage, at least against magical beasts.  That's 3 to 10 damage.  So clearly the Dweomerbane is the better choice against magical beasts, thanks to its higher minimal damage.

Of course, if you're going to factor in Weapon Specialization: Bastard Sword, then you might have a leg to stand on there.  Just try to avoid the magical beasts with Damage Reduction.  :P