You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: New Computer  (Read 3729 times)

archonzero

• Dark Lord
    • ArchonZero's Gallery Art
New Computer
« on: June 16, 2009, 04:41:16 PM »
  Hello all, I just finished building a new machine and went to install my NWN Diamond edition onto it.   It would seem the plastic case didn't have my NWN manual in it that has the CD keys I require for installation, so either I misplaced it or lords forbid was shuffled into a trash bin.  Does anyone know how I can recover my CD keys or an alternative CD key source for installation.  I'm hoping the manual turns up when I do my cleaning this weekend, I've a ton of odds an ends (so not organized in this cramped space) to root through to try an find it.

But in the meanwhile in case it doesn't turn up , I figured posting here would give me some alternate hopes.  My old computer still runs and has the game installed if that helps at all?

• Dark Power
Re: New Computer
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 04:51:57 PM »
Contact bio ware

“In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power… Green Lantern’s light!”

Primeape

• Outlander
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 06:32:48 PM »
Yeah, if you can check from your old computer, there should be a text-file named "nwncdkey" in the game folder.

Chrisman888

• The Man Of The Hour
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 07:25:20 PM »
Yeah, if you can check from your old computer, there should be a text-file named "nwncdkey" in the game folder.

Yea pretty much, or you can send a email to bioware asking for new keys. Just explain your situation, I lost mine as well and they just sent me new ones. *shrugs* Don't think they care much anymore.

~ Chris
Current Characters:
- Horatiu Milosovici (Barovian)
- Garbhan Macduff (Forlon)

archonzero

• Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 12:01:40 AM »
Okay I'll check for the file tomorrow after work.. if not then I'll contact bioware.. thanks for the tips!  :)

failed.bard

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 02:06:05 AM »
I think the examine object tool in game gives your CD-key now.  If you can log in on the old computer or a different one you should be able to get it that way as well.

Aldabreck Stone Helm

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 02:47:28 AM »
I lost my Cd key once and I just E Mailed Atari support and gave them the numbers that where printed on the disc and they emailed me new keys.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 02:48:27 AM »
If he examined himself on a different computer it would give him the CD key set up on that computer, which might not be the same as the one from his old computer.

Like if you went to a friend's house, logged on their NWN and took the key, it would prevent you from both playing at the same time.

failed.bard

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 04:25:38 AM »
bad bud is right.  I had a brain cramp there.  Examining your character while logged in with your old computer would work, but not from someone elses, for the reason he mentioned.

Vokan

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 11:11:00 AM »

This is the best, and possibly easiest way to do it. Assuming you still have your old computer, just plug it in, go to c:/neverwinter nights/NWN (that's the default directory it is installed in,) and look for the file called nwncdkey - it will have a list of keys,  1, 2, and 3, representing Original, SOU, and HOTU, respectively.

Vokan

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 11:14:41 AM »
If he examined himself on a different computer it would give him the CD key set up on that computer, which might not be the same as the one from his old computer.

Like if you went to a friend's house, logged on their NWN and took the key, it would prevent you from both playing at the same time.

The examine tool does not give your all of your CD keys, only part of your NWN Original CD-key, which DMs may normally view. This is so that CD-Keys can be banned, but not without compromising the player's entire CD-key. Otherwise, DM's could potentially collect a vast horde of CD keys from their players  :lol:

archonzero

• Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 11:27:06 PM »
Would just like to say thank you for all the tips.  I just started up the old system and found the NWNcdkey file as suggested by Primeape.. Cheers!  Now I get to DL all the other files and resetup NWN, see you all perhaps on the weekend weather permitting of course!  ;)

Khuzadrepa

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 11:48:26 PM »
Would just like to say thank you for all the tips.  I just started up the old system and found the NWNcdkey file as suggested by Primeape.. Cheers!  Now I get to DL all the other files and resetup NWN, see you all perhaps on the weekend weather permitting of course!  ;)
Make sure you copy them into a Notepad doc or something, print it out, and stick it in your CD case ;)
aka Warreck Banevich
Dogma of the Morninglord: "Justice comes to all evildoers eventually, not by man's laws, but by your hand and the tortuous paths of fate."