Author Topic: Low Level Dungeons Are Farmed To Exintion  (Read 17725 times)

Kaspar

Re: Low Level Dungeons Are Farmed To Exintion
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2009, 01:37:53 PM »
The dungeons,

Beetles, ML crypts, all of the dungeons that are a few areas near the outskirts will always be a hot spot for low levels because that's the main new player hub.

Perhaps adding in some low level dungeons farther out would assist with this? The spawn rate on the dungeons we have now is pretty decent, so I wouldn't suggest bumping those up a notch. Though adding in a few new dungeons will widen out the selection a little bit, more areas to go to for leveling. Just don't add in herbs, alchemy things, and all of that so the same problem isn't faced again.  :)

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2009, 04:57:22 PM »
So, ahhhhh, have we solved the problem of low level dungeons being farmed to extinction?   :mrgreen:
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2009, 05:47:22 PM »
There are some people very guilty of it. I appreciate that a lot of people ninja-loot to save the noobs at least the XP if not the loot or crafting materials, but I went down to the ML crypts after the server reset to find a single high level walking out of them, everything cleared. The first level of the Beetles was the same, which was annoying considering a group of four people got together to go there.

Is there any way to discourage high-level obliteration of low-level dungeons? I mean, the ML crypt has the annoying feature of increasing in challenge as you go down, which ends up meaning that the high level groups who honestly want to try and go down further have to go through the easy challenge on the top area, which messes it up for the low level groups.

peluscious

• Undead Master
  • The incredible off-topic man!
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2009, 05:57:01 PM »
I vote in favor of the might hammer of the DMs striking the unexpecting high-level soloer of low level dungeons.
But then again.. that might be an incentive to some...

KoopaFanatic

• Iä! Iä! Puckwolf fhtagn!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2009, 06:15:48 PM »
The ML catacombs have the advantage of a back door in, with a tough enough door to discourage most people from heading back into the low-level areas, at least. 

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2009, 08:33:13 PM »
I vote in favor of the might hammer of the DMs striking the unexpecting high-level soloer of low level dungeons.

I never liked this idea. I have been on a number of servers where the DMs would do this and no matter how much effort the DMs put into making the encounter immerse, it has always felt like being picked on. Especially when there are no rules limiting where people of a certian level can go. On the other servers it really promoted an "Us vs. Them" mentality between DMs and players.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2009, 09:34:32 PM »

I never liked this idea. I have been on a number of servers where the DMs would do this and no matter how much effort the DMs put into making the encounter immerse, it has always felt like being picked on. Especially when there are no rules limiting where people of a certian level can go. On the other servers it really promoted an "Us vs. Them" mentality between DMs and players.

I know exactly what you mean, one server I was on the dms literally spent more time 'icly punishing' ninja looters and other similar player activities than they did doing events for or interacting with those pcs who spent time role playing in dungeons.  They were too busy being the 'exploit police'.

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

Grieyls

• Undead Master
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2009, 09:58:40 PM »
Spawn rates are tied to the number of players online, so if everyone hits everything and logs off, it's not going to grow back during his play time.

Bingo, that is what I meant. Sorry for the confusion to some. Anyway a week or so ago when I was ill I spent most of my waking hours playing and I did note that the player base was quite well populated. Ranging from 30 to 50 players at any one time. However come 6PM my time that player number dropped dramatically. During that week it was down to as low as 8 to 14 and would not increase again until about 10PM my time. Thus the area's are being farmed and when I would normally log in during the week there would be nothing for my characters to do as the spawns had not the chance to grow again. It's no like this everywhere of course. But the ML Crypts, Sewers (the one mainly under the slums) and Beetle Caves are farmed the most and so those places rarely have anything worth the trouble to delve into during my weekly evening game time.

Would like to note that my main is high level and more than often I've had him accompany lowbies when the situation presented itself on some sojourn into the above areas. For the most part he did nothing only assisting when things were getting in over the lowbies heads. I would also let the lowbies collect all the herbs. This of course has made his progression through the craft he has chosen rather slow as he let's others take all the goodies. That being said when he's venturing around on his own and he spots a herb. He grabs it. At the times I normally play during the week seeing any herb that hasn't been picked is almost a rare occurrence.

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2009, 10:25:47 PM »
Maybe it would be possible to tweak the respawn scripts so its based on the number of players on a half hour prior, giving the areas a chance to respawn based on the population that decimated it rather than the population current to allow areas to grow to a decent spawn more quickly with the lower player numbers.

Sage - When stories come to life

Mrjunkie

• Dark Lord
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2009, 09:38:37 AM »
Im sure this has been added, if higher levels require things from low level dungeons, its in their best interest to hire a few low levels to do their dirty work. Saves them time as they might have more important things to deal with.

Jana

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2009, 05:00:10 PM »
Im sure this has been added, if higher levels require things from low level dungeons, its in their best interest to hire a few low levels to do their dirty work. Saves them time as they might have more important things to deal with.

Best interest... well that depends on how you look at it. If coin is "score" or if they're just running out of coin they'll do the cheap thing and do it themselves. Or maybe the PC doesn't care about money and just buys things to help low levels out. Two very different sides with very real and legit ways to RP. The best way I think is still to divert the componants to another place. Herbists should fight herbists, alchemists should fight alchemists and low level xp hunters should also compete with low level xp hunters... and never should the 3 groups bicker over the same dugeons.
Jana - Red Vardo Leathercrafter
Jacho - Lich Wannabe
Fiona - Copper Smith
Janie - MIA

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2009, 11:19:02 PM »
I think jana has something I honestly would love and fill zacks sadistic side to watch lowbies kill each other over dungens, alch componets, and herbs.
Now on to a normal note if lowbies need things so much BAND TOGETHER! Honestly if you guys get together in groupd of 5-6 of you and form some corps and assign jobs and such and have a comunity pool of resources then your lifes would be easier but you must be the lone gather or picker good luck with that take note that herbolgy or alchemy isnt that safe when you have killers like john waiting for the lowbie picker to come along.

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2009, 06:35:28 PM »
Recent events have lead me to question:

Where IS a low level dungeon?

The beetles are one, and the tiny Gremshika dungeon is another...

The crypts now regularly spawn nigh-invincible Skeletal Warriors.

The sewers now spawn Wererats, which are hard and have DR that most low levels can't bypass.

Most caves I've seen have had Ogre Berserkers by the barrel, more Skeleton Warriors, or other ridiculously hard enemies....

Where CAN we go before level 10?

Impotent Collateral

• Watching
  • Undead Master
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2009, 06:39:58 PM »
Spoiler: show
Zeklos Crypts
Thouls

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2009, 06:43:19 PM »
Orphanage

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2009, 10:35:20 PM »
wo wo wo wait a mo here newbies not having plus one weps?
I have honestly given atleast 30 plus one to every thing weps to make sure you guys dont get killed and enjoy the sever if anthore newbie comes in ill drop them a line and see if i find them ingame to rp anthore charitible action.

Wids

• We don't need no stinkin' avatars!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2009, 09:23:07 AM »
wo wo wo wait a mo here newbies not having plus one weps?
I have honestly given atleast 30 plus one to every thing weps to make sure you guys dont get killed and enjoy the sever if anthore newbie comes in ill drop them a line and see if i find them ingame to rp anthore charitible action.
Seriously.  Spell check.  What the blue hail's an "anthore", anyway?   :dubious:

But I don't know if I would consider the Orphanage a low-level dungeon; that hag will certainly flatten a lowbie party if she shows up.  If the Orphanage is considered a low-level dungeon then you might as well consider the ruined Gilos temple a low-level dungeon too, because you may luck out and run into no wraith spiders and nothing but wraiths inside.

fulkren

« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2009, 10:35:30 AM »
alchemy was always a part of my characters history, and only recently started it. i really dont like how the mobs that drop the low level items required for the Alchemy chart are not even guaranteed to spawn. a handful of fire beetles drop whats required for the beginning of the skill. and you got everyone trying to get their hands on them can easily spoil the dungeon. they should of made rat corpses or skeleton knuckles as the base material, as those are much more easily collected.

unfortunately my character is limited where he can go and at what time, so i am forced to make runs for the components on my own. i am always willing to trade/sell for the components i need. but that is also very difficult considering the way i RP my Character Vincent.

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2009, 09:17:11 PM »
If you seek you will find if you need to trade for alch materials

And zacks starting a new merchant empire so im goig to hire as many low levels to gather for me as possible

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2009, 07:15:35 AM »
If you seek you will find if you need to trade for alch materials

And zacks starting a new merchant empire so im goig to hire as many low levels to gather for me as possible

Great. Sow the low levels that actually want the herbs for herbalism are again screwed.

I think the reason the low level dungeons are farmed so much is that there are so few of them, and so many low levels. Heck, most of the times I've logged in, around 50% of the players have been from level 2-6, and yet there are very few dungeons workable in that range.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2009, 07:17:23 AM »
Out of curiosity, do you generally feel that the variable caves are too difficult for low levels?

failed.bard

« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2009, 07:42:30 AM »
  All of the variable caves are doable by 10th, depending on class and build.  If you're talking about balanced parties, high spawn vampires are the only ones that are a problem for a party by 9th level.

Lower level parties 5th-7th level, can do most of the caves on low and mid spawns.

Below 5th level there's the traditional places.  ML crypts, beetles, Zeklos, slum sewers are doable with a small party at 4th even with wererats spawning.
  Thouls at high/max spawn can be difficult for lower levels, and non AC build fighters.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2009, 09:19:31 AM »
Hmm, I could perhaps make some specifically low-level oriented variable caves. They are fairly quick to setup. Think it would help?

Chrisman888

• The Man Of The Hour
  • Dark Power
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2009, 09:35:37 AM »
Yah know what would be nice... a list of all the dungeons! I know that be sort of metagamish.. but some are so clueless on where to level sometimes (Me).

~ Chris
Current Characters:
- Horatiu Milosovici (Barovian)
- Garbhan Macduff (Forlon)

failed.bard

« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2009, 09:37:47 AM »
Hmm, I could perhaps make some specifically low-level oriented variable caves. They are fairly quick to setup. Think it would help?

I think the one south of vallaki would be a good place for a lower level cave.  At the least, have it so that it doesn't spawn vampires in that one.