Author Topic: XP Cap - is it supposed to work that way?  (Read 2257 times)

Thoraion

• Undead Master
XP Cap - is it supposed to work that way?
« on: June 07, 2009, 02:07:35 PM »
The rate at that i am playing is irregular.
Sometimes i can play every day for one to two weeks, sometimes you won't see me on the server for months.
My style of playing changes seldomly. Way more RP than dungeoneering, rarely a dungeon raid with a group.

Now i made an observation that puzzles me.
The folks i played with end of last year are double my level now and only one of my characters leveled once during the last 3 months.
I have no idea why the first character suddenly makes such a slow progress. He is level 8 now. Again, i should say. He was level 9 two times before and it took about a month each time to get the level back. The last respawn was in december and since then, he stagnated.

The other character is level 7 now. During the last 3 weeks, i started to notice the message after resting changing. Believe it or not, i never got the "slow down" message ever before during the last... 18 months?
However, only the second character is affected. It usually takes 2 to three days for the message to switch back to "whatever the mists throw at you". The thing that troubles me is that 2 strong wererats or a hand full of ogres are enough to immediately switch back to "slow down".

is it supposed to be so?
Currently playing:
no characters, will eventually be back

Characters in stock:
- Darian Eisenhand        - Ansgar "Frettchen" Ostvent
- Thorben Eibenfinder    - Einar Falkensang

kenpen

• Dark Power
Re: XP Cap - is it supposed to work that way?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 07:26:42 PM »
They're probably just grinding more, and getting more XP. There are ways to work the cap, for maximum benefit, for minimum work, but the best way to do it is just play and not worry about it too much. Anything else can be counterproductive unless you know what you're doing.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 08:44:45 PM »
If you want to gain levels, never ever respawn.

Rave

• Undead Master
  • Shoo!
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 08:49:57 PM »
I am also curious, is it possible to hit the wall from RP xp alone? my char rarely goes out of the outskirts. Last week or so, she went once in 3 days and that was into the city at night with someone else battling the rats for her and she still got the cap message.

I'm wondering if its possible to over roleplay to hit the wall  that way too?

eyeofpestilence

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 09:03:20 PM »
is it possible to hit the wall from RP xp alone?
Yes. You can.

Thanks DW!

Thoraion

• Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 03:00:30 AM »
Just to point out the key topics again:
The last respawn was in december and since then, he stagnated.
That means: 6 months with no level up with a level 8 character without a change of playing behaviour that previously lead to level 9 twice.

And the other point:
The thing that troubles me is that 2 strong wererats or a hand full of ogres are enough to immediately switch back to "slow down".
that mean i seem to be constantly capped with only one fight returning me to "slow down" after having just recovered.

Call me a powergamer if you feel the need to do so, but a level once in a while would indeed be a nice thing.

And about respawns... sometimes you (and your party members) die because of really bad luck half an hour before you must log off.
Currently playing:
no characters, will eventually be back

Characters in stock:
- Darian Eisenhand        - Ansgar "Frettchen" Ostvent
- Thorben Eibenfinder    - Einar Falkensang

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 03:05:06 AM »
I was away for a good two months and Stela's XP was finally back to the lazy message. Took a week of RP xp to get back to the proverbial wall -_-, don't feel bad.

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 05:04:14 AM »
Just to point out the key topics again:
The last respawn was in december and since then, he stagnated.
That means: 6 months with no level up with a level 8 character without a change of playing behaviour that previously lead to level 9 twice.

And the other point:
The thing that troubles me is that 2 strong wererats or a hand full of ogres are enough to immediately switch back to "slow down".
that mean i seem to be constantly capped with only one fight returning me to "slow down" after having just recovered.

Call me a powergamer if you feel the need to do so, but a level once in a while would indeed be a nice thing.

And about respawns... sometimes you (and your party members) die because of really bad luck half an hour before you must log off.

Logging off while dead doesn't do anything.  You just get raised by someone later on, when you are logged on.

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 08:35:18 AM »
Honestly if your here to have fun and thats what most are here for i ignore caps completly just keep rpling and having fun exp is to make your char stronger but if thats all you care about then play antiworld or a game all about leveling just what i have to say.