You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Can't Connect, probably because I'm dumb.  (Read 13987 times)

Desident

• Undead Master
Can't Connect, probably because I'm dumb.
« on: May 16, 2009, 12:46:01 PM »
Ok, well I have a new...er computer than the last one I used to play NWN/Ravenloft on. I downloaded the newest CEP, the Ravenloft hakpaks, the newest update for the game itself that i can find (1.69 I believe) and even the spiffy GUI. Now, I open NWN and I click Multiplayer, and log in ( I eventually create a new account in case it was because i had incorrect login info, but it didnt change anything.) when I get flagged with a "Cannot connect to Master Server, some multiplayer functions might not be accessible." Ok, well it lets me continue anyway, so I click Direct Connect, since it wont provide me with any lists for the online games, and I copy and paste the IP address straight from the Getting Started post. (192.38.55.36:5123) But it says the connection timed out, the server may be down.

Am I just jumbling up a "should be easy to follow methodical procedure" or am I just unlucky?

failed.bard

Re: Can't Connect, probably because I'm dumb.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 01:10:23 PM »
Try the direct connect method recommended here:  http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=13693.0

It bypasses gamespy, in case that's the problem.

Desident

• Undead Master
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 01:15:57 PM »
Same message. :(

boompowclash

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 01:40:19 PM »
Self deprecation! Now that's my language...

Anyway, do you have a firewall of some kind?

Desident

• Undead Master
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 02:03:22 PM »
definitely not. I dont use protection, so to speak.  :dancing:

Axel

• Eternal Saviour/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 08:52:44 PM »
Ok. I have some investigating questions:
- Can you log on to other servers or is it just PotM that you have problems connecting to?
- Are you writing on this board using your new computer?
- Have you tried connecting to nwn.kom.auc.dk:5123 instead of the IP address given earlier?

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 02:52:08 AM »
Ok, well I have a new...er computer than the last one I used to play NWN/Ravenloft on. I downloaded the newest CEP, the Ravenloft hakpaks, the newest update for the game itself that i can find (1.69 I believe) and even the spiffy GUI. Now, I open NWN and I click Multiplayer, and log in ( I eventually create a new account in case it was because i had incorrect login info, but it didnt change anything.) when I get flagged with a "Cannot connect to Master Server, some multiplayer functions might not be accessible." Ok, well it lets me continue anyway, so I click Direct Connect, since it wont provide me with any lists for the online games, and I copy and paste the IP address straight from the Getting Started post. (192.38.55.36:5123) But it says the connection timed out, the server may be down.

Am I just jumbling up a "should be easy to follow methodical procedure" or am I just unlucky?

Gamespy is not providing the categories for games on the left side of the screen? 

Have you downloaded one of these:

http://www.control.aau.dk/~agm/nwn/RavenloftPOTM1_68HakFull.exe (auto installer)

http://www.control.aau.dk/~agm/nwn/RavenloftPOTM1_68HakFull.7z (manual installer) (place the tlk file in the right directory)

Those two hakpacks seem to be the ones folks miss the most. 

I'm no genius when it comes to this stuff, but sometimes it's the simplest things that trip us up. 

Good luck. 

« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 03:32:30 AM by ThAnswr »
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Desident

• Undead Master
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 03:09:27 PM »
I used the Auto-Installer, but gamespy says I need to try a new Nick... but i made a new name so... whats the issue?

Axel

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 03:29:33 PM »
You'll have to supply a bit more information than that before we can give you any intelligent advice. Exactly what does the pop up window say?

Desident

• Undead Master
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 03:53:05 PM »
OK I open it, I click Multiplayer. I type in my login and password. As soon as I submit them a popup says "Could not connect to Master Server, some Multiplayer services may not be available."

It lets me click OK, and it send me to the next menu where I can click New/Load/Join Internet game/Join an LAN.

I click Join an LAN, and when I go to insert either nwn.kom.auc.dk:5123 or 192.38.55.36:5123 it says "Attempting to find server" for about 20 seconds, then it updates with "Connection to server has failed.  Server is not responding (timed out)"

I click cancel and go back to: Host/Load/Join A game/Join an LAN screen.

I click Join Internet Game and it automatically shows the connecting to Gamespy popup, but just as quickly it reads, "Connection failed, try another Nick."

Thats all. :/
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 04:01:50 PM by Snyde »

Vokan

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 03:02:23 AM »
This really sounds like a connection issue to me - I have a similar problem, I use McAfee, and it likes to block IRC channels for some reason. Gamespy is an IRC channel, which means it won't let me connect to it. Thus I have to use direct connect to get onto servers.

What gets me is the fact that it disconnects you even on a direct-connect. It must be some strange setting in your windows firewall, perhaps certain ports are closed on your router... it could be a number of things. Are you certain you don't have any anti-virus or firewalls that could potentially be halting your connection?

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 03:20:07 AM »
Temporarily disable any firewalls or virus software just long enough to try and connect. If you can connect then, one of them is causing you to being blocked. I have a feeling it is one of these things.

Oh, and are you connecting from a work site, a college, or some other shared internet connection besides a home internet connection?
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Desident

• Undead Master
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 07:49:07 AM »
I have had every firewall/antivirus/spy/malware program completely closed whenever I try it. And I am in a barracks, where we each have internet connected to our rooms, much similar to apartment style connections and installations. Nothing filters my connect, but the wall, which comes straight from the pole.

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 08:02:19 AM »
What operating system are you using?
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Axel

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 08:04:41 AM »
Hmm... I'd like to know if you can access our server from where you are, i.e., if it's "just" a problem with nwn and the connections it use, or if it's something else.

Please try to ping nwn.kom.auc.dk.

If you know how to, then please skip the following:
1: open the run menu
2: type: cmd <enter>
3: in the cmd-window, type: ping nwn.kom.auc.dk <enter>
4: watch the output.

Desident

• Undead Master
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 06:18:16 PM »

The result.

Axel

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 06:59:16 PM »
Ok, so you've confirmed Vokan's hypothesis. Something is indeed blocking nwn, either on your computer or between your computer and the PotM server, and you're running Windows Vista.

Have you tried running the game in administrator mode?

Desident

• Undead Master
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 07:38:56 PM »
My user name is an administrator... and it doesnt filter what programs i want to run with "Run as Administrator" It just gives it full access

Impotent Collateral

• Watching
  • Undead Master
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 09:17:05 PM »
Eh... Master Server thing. Go to your History in the gamespy console... might have POTM listed, unless you reinstalled NWN.

Desident

• Undead Master
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 09:51:33 PM »
reinstalled :(

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2009, 10:52:07 PM »
I'm ready to light a candle for you.   :cry:
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009, 12:23:36 AM »
Try virus sweep and unstal gamespy and possibly restore your computer im not given up on you yet LIVE! CLEAR! *shocks*
Also if that doesnt work maybe you can save it with a defrag? i dunno im not that great at this stuff im medicore.

Axel

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2009, 01:04:53 PM »
I'd like you to investigate if it is something on your own computer that is blocking nwn or if it is a problem related to your network.

Try starting a stand alone server using nwserver.exe. Just choose any module you have on your computer. After that, see if you can connect to the server by running nwn and looking under LAN games.

Desident

• Undead Master
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2009, 05:49:07 PM »
Nope Axel, wouldnt let me connect ot the server I made.

bloodandsoil

• Undead Slayer
    • TWAJ
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2009, 05:51:57 PM »
Neverwinter Nights works in linux.  That's how I play it.  Fedora linux to be exact.

HELL TAKES THE HINDMOST