Author Topic: Atmosphere Messages - Request  (Read 1739 times)

Charon

• Undead Master
Atmosphere Messages - Request
« on: May 12, 2009, 10:06:01 AM »
When I encounter a group of PCs  with Jonathan I found it pretty difficult to create a matching atmosphere.
It would be nice to send messages to a whole group like :" you hear branches cracking in the woods east of you" without having to be visible or using a familiar - and sending tells to every one in the group is rather time consuming.
So I thought, if it would be possible to introduce an @atmosphere-command that would be a great help.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 12:55:30 PM by Charon »

Jonathan Schwarz - schwarzzzzzzz
Dong Delxen - Cult of the Morninglord
Grigore Cazacul - Vallaki Garda
Emil Kobori - The 5th sect

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
Re: Atmosphere Messages - Request
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 12:14:45 PM »
I think this would be a nice tool for Monsterous PCs (whos RP has been proven in application)...given to the populace It could start a bit of a spam fest.

As if that damn guarda horn isent enough :MadBlow: j/k

WildPirate13

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 03:08:36 PM »
 I think its a great idea if its not abused.
 Perhaps could be issued at a certain level.

Kung Fu Orc

• Supreme Overlord
  • Dark Power
  • Alchoholics Incorperated
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 04:06:46 PM »
The Garda Horn spam isn't players, it's the NPC's. We never use the things.

Daciana Varzaru- "If fate is a principle beyond Human comprehension which capriciously torments man, then it is karma that man confront fate with sorcery."

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 04:10:40 PM »
I don't know if PC's should ever get that type of tool. Could be highly misleading and disruptive to the playerbase as a whole if misused or overused, not to mention perhaps even conflicting with DM's when we try to run atmospherics.

It's a good idea in theory, but one that could cheapen atmospherics to the point of them becoming too mundane to be noticed or trusted.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 04:35:55 PM by DM Heretic »

WildPirate13

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 04:30:38 PM »
Off topic.... sorta.
 I investigated the garda horn at the docks many times...
 I ended up chasing down a dragon fly and so did they once I helped them corner it inside the docks district.

1 very dead dragon fly!

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 04:38:02 PM »
there is an alternative that has at times been used to great effect, when monsters are outside, when you are invisible. You ask one of the players to emote whatever atmoshere your trying to make. I have helped monsters do this before

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 09:48:40 PM »
Sort of off topic, but I investigated Garda's horn as well and....

http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/natural/a248035be0f2aa6c4d0df884c354195f2950662e.png

I could not help noticing the crabs on the right were more organized for a full battle than the Garda on the left :)

I agree with Heretic. The tool could create confusion also for DMs, and could be abused. I think sometimes atmosphere can be crated also with not too many words, with an action, a movement. The untold scares me more than the told. And in case it can always be asked a DM help for that. Having a tool for a character means feeling like "in the lead of what's happening", which is not. So I would not like to see something like that not even for monsters-characters.
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

Charon

• Undead Master
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 07:51:52 AM »
Okay, so far I think what HellsPanda said is the best way to send emotes with the current script.
You ask one of the players to emote whatever atmosphere your trying to make.
Given that there is a player willing to sacrifice his own RP for the sake of your emotes.

I also understand and agree with Heretics concerns that propper atmosphere messages (talking about the ones that rise from your character and come up as yellow messages) would probably sooner or later conflict with DM made messages and deaden them.

What I thought of was more that you have a command (@atmosphere or what ever) that sends your emote with your characters name straight to the chat window of the PCs in conversation range, as if you were speaking visibly.
I wouldn't want this emote to appear over your characters head though as this could easily lead to meta localisation of ones character (e.g. when you just throw a stone to mislead them or something).

Oh, and as for Guards Horn... there is a topic on it under Bug Reports  ;) http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=16046.0

Jonathan Schwarz - schwarzzzzzzz
Dong Delxen - Cult of the Morninglord
Grigore Cazacul - Vallaki Garda
Emil Kobori - The 5th sect