You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: ug der latz  (Read 1148 times)

Vrok

• New to the Mists
ug der latz
« on: April 30, 2009, 04:07:34 PM »
Hi! I've got a few questions for you guys, as I just started playing this server last night.

#1. I'm playing as a half-orc, and it doesn't really look like a caliban. It is too green, it talks lyk'r diz en Tolkien's Darkspeech, and it has features which look too "orcish" for it to be confused with a deformed human. So, is there anything on the server that's going to notice that it's actually a non-caliban 'thing' or am I resigned to perpetually being confused for a caliban *even* if I don't really look like one?  :P

#2. I need opinions on my character's stats and how they're going to affect character concept.  First, my character stats:

STR: 19
DEX: 14
CON: 16
INT: 7 <------ Indeed, I picked the ' Dumb Hero' voice.
WIS: 8
CHA: 6 <------ beautiful :/

I'm wondering whether this is unreasonable. This character is supposed to be extremely uneducated and *very* out of touch with what's going on around him.  To draw a comparison, he isn't supposed to be at a caveman's level of intelligence but he's supposed to be oblivious to the obvious. He's supposed to be on par with Minsc from Baldur's Gate, just to draw a comparison. Minsc also had that same level of intelligence and wisdom, I believe, but his charisma was a point or two better.

I'm wondering if I should remake this character. I don't like the idea of meta-gaming, but he is supposed to be the extremely large and dumb type.

#3. Is there *any* impact on character quests when you select a point of origin?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 04:09:09 PM by Vrok »

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
Re: ug der latz
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 04:33:44 PM »
1. yeah afraid your stuck with the its a caliban! thing from locals and some outlanders depending how there done then again there's a few folks that are accepting and understanding of the differences

2. the concept seems sound to me and the stats too for what your trying for

3. personally i saw go with what you got and see how it develops :)

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 11:59:41 PM »
1. Natives and other characters native to other parts of Ravenloft are going to confuse you for a caliban or worse because there are no native orcs. Since they don't know what an orc is, they can't recognize you for what you are. Outlanders that are familiar with orcs should be able to tell the difference, but I wouldn't exactly expect a better response from those that meet you for the first time. Orcs are looked upon with extreme but well-earned distrust.

2. Honestly, I'd have his Int at least at 8. My hellhound familiar has 6 intelligence to compare with. Even a typical orc has an 8 Int and since half-orcs have a -2 Int modifier, it means that you are below even a half-orc's typical intelligence level. Saying that you are dumb compared to even an orc is pretty bad. Below an 8 Int, I'd expect you to have a hard time even speaking a sentence. An 8 Wisdom is also typically below even the humanoid norm. 7 is the stated typical of an orc, but a half-orc does not have a negative modifier for wisdom, meaning 10 is the norm.

Here is an example of humanoid average intelligence levels -

6 - Ogre, Hill Giant, Troll
7 - Minotaur
8 - Orc, Half-Orc, Ogre Barbarian
10 - Goblin, Kobold, Bugbear, Hobgoblin

Here is an example of humanoid average wisdom levels -

7 - Orc
9 - Goblin, Hobgoblin, Kobold, Troll
10 - Ogre, Ogre Barbarian, Minotaur, Hill Giant

Honestly, I think the hardest thing to play in D&D is a dumb character. I consider myself a bright individual and I have a hard time dumbing down enough to play someone with a subpar intellect.

3. Your point of origin has nothing to do with quests, but affects how NPC's respond to you.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 08:13:50 AM »
 :shock: How did you get such bad stats in some of thos areas i didnt even think at possible that gives min maxing a whole new name..... O.o