You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: A few questions pertaining to Barovia.  (Read 1995 times)

Thraya

• New to the Mists
A few questions pertaining to Barovia.
« on: April 27, 2009, 12:30:10 AM »
  Firstly, hello. I'm Thraya. A bit new to the NwN online scene, but I heard this server was interesting, and I've always wanted to play on a Ravenloft setting. I have  few questions, though.

1.) How do Barovian families operate? Is it normal for an adult to live alone, particularly a woman, or would that be considered unorthodox?

2.) I understand that there are "Out lander" hot spots for role play, and other factions have their own, but where are a few places where a native to the land would go to fit in, if any?

3.) Is it a heavily patriarchal society?

I've read quite a lot, so I'm fairly certain on how my native is supposed to act, although I would ask if anyone had any specific tips on playing a Barovian / on Prisoners of the Mist.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 12:31:59 AM by Thraya »
Ov e ra n dU n de r an d In b et w ee n th o ug h ts

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
Re: A few questions pertaining to Barovia.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 01:50:43 AM »
1.) How do Barovian families operate? Is it normal for an adult to live alone, particularly a woman, or would that be considered unorthodox?

A: Close nit families that only associate if at all possible with other barovians. Some have no parents so it wouldn't be look down on to live alone. (I think) Help me out info ninjas if I'm wrong here.

2.) I understand that there are "Out lander" hot spots for role play, and other factions have their own, but where are a few places where a native to the land would go to fit in, if any?

A: This was a problem i had as there are very few barovian players that are ever on line at one time. So interaction and RP with outlanders was inevitable. Naturally though associating with them heavily like my char Androvia does will cause for you to be seen by other natives as an outlander yourself. One way of dealing with this is to become a guarda, other possibilities and situations during game play will have you going in different directions anyhow. The server and its players will manipulate you in different ways depending on your RP of your alignment and it will all work its self out.

A: As you play the game i would say no not really. I have encountered no real job discrimination or sexism from other players. The barovian society though if I'm not mistaken feels that the kitchen might be the best place for a woman, Cooking/cleaning baby watching etc. However once again in not crystal on this sense it never came up in game and i haven't read the ravenloft books.

Hope any of this helped, and hope to see you in game.  :)

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

fulkren

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 02:20:37 AM »
here is some Resource on native Roleplay

http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=6563.0.

if your looking for more resource you can use Wikipedia.

*removed, Inferno*

: aside from that ive been playing a native Noble for many many months. so if you have any questions i wont mind awnsering them in game to the name on my sig :)

« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 06:00:41 AM by Inferno »

Chrisman888

• The Man Of The Hour
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 10:18:17 AM »
Glad to see new players taking the steps to RP there native correctly/reading up on them.  :thumbup:

~ Chris
Current Characters:
- Horatiu Milosovici (Barovian)
- Garbhan Macduff (Forlon)

arrmuth

• Undead Master
  • Honor is everything.
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 12:34:52 AM »

Thank you.

Nope all Barovians are equally oppressed.