Author Topic: Crafting Suggestions  (Read 9217 times)

failed.bard

Crafting Suggestions
« on: April 25, 2009, 03:53:25 AM »
  There was an old thread of this, but I can't find it, so I'm starting a new one.

Leatherworking:

Slings.  Bodak hide could give +1 AB vs undead, and for those ghoulish enough to skin a lycanthrope alive for the hide, that could be +1 ab vs shapeshifters
Normal clothes template.  Soft patches only, no AC bonuses.

Woodworking:

Copper, iron, and silver used in crossbows should give +1 AB vs fey, outsiders, and shapeshifters respectively.
Wereshark bones once Blaustein is in, for +1 AB vs shifters composite bows
Clubs and quartestaffs.

Smithing

Darts.  Copper, iron, and silver give +1 AB bonuses vs fey, outsiders, and shapeshifters.  Iron and Steel give reduced weight.  Steel gives +1 damage.
   ~Requires 1 ingot (5.3 pounds) per stack (5 or 4 pounds, depending on type)

For all:
Masterwork Items.  (Though, anything beyond the current system may admittedly be better left to enchanting, it's an option)
  ~DC +40
  ~Template cost x100
  ~Bows and steel smithed weapons gain +1 AB
  ~Armours gain an additional +1 AC

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
Re: Crafting Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 04:21:28 AM »
Herbalism

Addition of a rare herb spawn, akin to Mightshade that can be mixed with various herbs to create useable poisons for weapons.

Sage - When stories come to life

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 05:53:03 AM »
Helms-Standard templates that give you the +1 to skill but when made out of steel give you a +1 to Ac as well.

“In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power… Green Lantern’s light!”

failed.bard

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 06:02:35 AM »
Steel helms used to be in game as a loot drop.  I believe they were +1 deflection ac, +1 concentration

Considering they would sell in the same range as rings of protection, circa 1000 fangs, DC would need to be high, and weight a factor.  So...
  ~2 steel ingots
  ~DC 55-60
  ~Weight 7 pounds

I like the idea for poisons as well, unless that's intended for alchemy already.  It could use the same base ingredients as buff potions, but the corruptive base to make them drain.  Stacking the different base ingredients could make different grades of poisons.

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 08:14:16 AM »
In my war plot post I said some thing about corrupt herbs and such well in sted they could just make corrpted herbs like woundingwart (Its a spin off of woundwart) Out side undead crypts and locations of great evils.

KoopaFanatic

• Iä! Iä! Puckwolf fhtagn!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 11:44:45 AM »
Other leatherworking possibilities:
Gloves. Three ingredients: boiled leather patch (only -- the others are too tough), soft leather patch, and a metal ingot.   The soft leather would give a reduced version of its normal skill bonus/effect, while the different ingots would give scaling damage bonuses.

Whips.  No particular suggestions for ingredients, it just seems like the sort of thing leatherworkers should be able to make.

Boots.  Four ingredients: two sturdy boiled patches and two soft patches, giving a reduced version of the skill bonus/effect.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 01:24:16 PM »
+AB on clothing does not work...

Aldabreck Stone Helm

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 04:03:09 PM »
Wel with all these suggestions I still have to agree with Liam on more abilities added to crafted bows. As it is there are stag antlers,and musk ox antlers that do nothing but Mighty. White stag vrs.Undead is great.Demon horn vrs. Chaotic is great.and shadow wood vrs.lawfull. But an added elemental damage or energy damage in place of some the the mighty affects would be great. And I do not think it would make the bows to power full. But would make them more unique.

DarkWyvern

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 04:20:51 PM »
Actually, elemental damage I'd say leave for arrow making

Fire Arrows: Alchemist Fire
Acid Arrows: Acid Flask
Cold Arrows: Cold Stone

Maybe have a critical failure risk of taking small damage if the contents are spilled or the vial broken in process :D

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 04:59:28 PM »
A few more ideas....

Reinforced Armors  They would require additional materials(ingots/boiled leathers) but would possess the following additional properties.
   - Light Armors :  +1 Damage Redux,  + 5 Pounds Weight
   - Medium Armors:  +2 Damage Redux, + 10 pounds weight
   - Heavy Armors:  +3 Damage Redux, +30 Pounds Weight

Thieves Tools
   - 1 copper ingot and template = +1 tools
   - 1 Bronze ingot and template = +2 tools
   - 1 iron ingot and template = +3 tools
   - 1 steel ingot and template = +4 tools

Boots
   - Soft patches = Soft boots +1 hide
   - Boiled Patches = Hard boots +1 Discipline
   - Copper Boots = Decreased Save Electricity -1, +2 Discipline, and +1 AC vs. Fey
   - Bronze Boots =  +2 Discipline
   - Iron Boots =  +3 Discipline
   - Steel Boots = +3 Discipline, +1 AC

Cloaks
   - Template and soft patches to make cloaks of the various resistances with fire vulnerability
   - Template and boiled to make cloaks as above, but with +1 AC

Staves
   - Beech = normal staff
   - Oak = + 1 Discipline(sturdy enough to lean upon for support]
   - Yew = +1 Damage
   - Ash = Massive Criticals +1d4
   - Shadow Wood = AB vs. Chaotic(like the bows)

I also fully endorse the idea of leatherworkers making "clothing" with a collection of soft patches, they could possess the various properties as well, providing non-armor wearing PC's a wider variety of benefit from fur lined clothes.

failed.bard

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 09:35:04 PM »
Boots
   - Soft patches = Soft boots +1 hide
   - Boiled Patches = Hard boots +1 Discipline
   - Copper Boots = Decreased Save Electricity -1, +2 Discipline, and +1 AC vs. Fey
   - Bronze Boots =  +2 Discipline
   - Iron Boots =  +3 Discipline
   - Steel Boots = +3 Discipline, +1 AC

I'd add a -5 Move Silent to the metal plated ones to bring them in line with plated boots/rusty chain boots, but I love the idea.
Soft boots should probably be a + to MS though, not hide.

Thieves tools I'd never even considered, platinum for a +6 possibly as well.

There's a nice variety of ideas coming so far.

KoopaFanatic

• Iä! Iä! Puckwolf fhtagn!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 02:14:02 AM »
I also fully endorse the idea of leatherworkers making "clothing" with a collection of soft patches, they could possess the various properties as well, providing non-armor wearing PC's a wider variety of benefit from fur lined clothes.

Yes!  Yes!  A thousand times yes!  I've been dreaming of the day Mariska could break into the lucrative witch-armor market!

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 04:29:48 AM »
Great stuff all - now that I'm almost done reworking the crafting system, it should be  alot easier to add stuff, and I'll be sure to keep all this in mind.

Keep it coming...

failed.bard

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 04:49:58 AM »
Ric (I think) suggested it in another thread, but I'll add it here again.

CEP weapon templates.  It would be best if some of them were flagged as unchangeable, though, since altering them does bad things to the server.

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 05:43:12 AM »

I'd add a -5 Move Silent to the metal plated ones to bring them in line with plated boots/rusty chain boots, but I love the idea.

oops, MS was what I was thinking, not sure why I typed Hide

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2009, 05:53:26 AM »

oops, MS was what I was thinking, not sure why I typed Hide

What about Arcane Spell failure too? If it was plated, I figure it is bordering wearing armour.

darkravenkin

• Undead Master
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2009, 05:58:20 AM »
I would look forward to some CEP weapons being crafted :)

Arik Donovich - He has found a home, but it has become a prison for him.
Gargain Kernsonn - Ex loyal guard
Laylynn Ravenkin - One personality dead, only two more and I rule alone.

failed.bard

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2009, 06:35:22 AM »
Reinforced Armors  They would require additional materials(ingots/boiled leathers) but would possess the following additional properties.
   - Light Armors :  +1 Damage Redux,  + 5 Pounds Weight
   - Medium Armors:  +2 Damage Redux, + 10 pounds weight
   - Heavy Armors:  +3 Damage Redux, +30 Pounds Weight

What about Arcane Spell failure too? If it was plated, I figure it is bordering wearing armour.

Arcane spell failure should definately be raised on any reinforced armours, scaling to the extra protection offered.  The same with any sort of reinforced gloves.
Possibly the boots at the higher end could carry a tumble penalty as well, as a further balancing point.  I'd have to make a few of these up in the toolset later to see what they would be worth.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 07:46:05 AM by failed.bard »

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2009, 07:14:08 AM »

Arcane spell failure was implemented because being in armor was restrictive when it came to doing movements for spells. Unless the spell requires some kind of fancy footwork (which is unlikely since most movements are related to hands/arms I believe), I don't see how heavy/stiff boots could create enough of a problem casting a spell...but if we HAD to assign a number, I'd give it no more than +10% for just boots. However, maybe all metal boots could have some kind of electrical save penalty or vulnerability since you are making it easier for electricity to ground out. Metal gloves, however, should have significant arcane spell failure, being hard to wiggle your fingers in any kind of meaningful way, but I'd like to see them all get the +1d4 bludgeoning effect that you see with the iron knuckles.

On a side note, I don't see how different metals in boots would make it easier (via discipline) to resist knockdowns, or disarming or the like. Should stick with one number for all the metals, and a lesser one for hardened leather boots. Also, I question the likeliness of whether wearing copper boots would help protect you from fey, though I think all types of metal boots would be likely to gain at least a little protection via AC. Just make sure that metal boots are significantly heavier, and yeah, tumbling penalties should be assigned.

Would be nice to gild certain things too, if only for flair.

More woodworking options would be nice. Wooden armor, fully wooden shields, and more wooden weapons.

Oh, and armor made of bones. That's just cool. :twisted:
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Psyche

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2009, 08:42:40 AM »
Oh, and armor made of bones. That's just cool. Twisted Evil

Bone-hilted weapons also? Don't know what the mechanics benefit might be.. +1 vs neg energy? But it'd be cool rp-wise.

Aldabreck Stone Helm

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2009, 04:55:14 PM »
Also would like to add that Platinum is on the server I have even smelted it. What if you could glide with it a platinum glided weapon very rare and Perhaps a +1 ab to the weapon.

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2009, 05:39:31 PM »
It would be nice to have a "survival craft" as well.  Something for the barbarians/druids/rangers that don't like going to the city.  It wouldn't produce items of quality like the other crafts, but might allow them to turn a simple piece of wood into a club or staff, or to craft a crude woodsmans axe of copper and beech.  They might even have their own means of reeping the benefits of some herbs without making potions... perhaps making med kits or simply converting the herb into a cure minor effect or somesuch.

Would allow for these characters to be more "self-sufficient" but would still force them to seek out true craftsmen for superior quality goods.

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2009, 07:40:35 PM »
Another idea for Leatherworking....

Bags made from soft patches.  High end crafting could have the -20% Weight while lessers are mundane containers. 
Leaving anything better for future Enchanting recipies.

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2009, 05:32:44 PM »
To be able to make diffrent throw ables with herbs or magical componects so make something better then the pathetic 1d6 of acid of a flask of acid.

failed.bard

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2009, 06:09:16 PM »
To be able to make diffrent throw ables with herbs or magical componects so make something better then the pathetic 1d6 of acid of a flask of acid.

D6 damage for 20 gold is respectable, and there are larger versions of the fire and acid flasks already availiable in certain places in game, albeit at a high price.
  Acid flasks are good at what they're intended for, clearing out an area of low HP creatures causing minimal damage to the user.  They're perfect for normal rats and scarabs, and are a great tool for low level characters to use in general.