Author Topic: New Dungeons?  (Read 6175 times)

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
Re: New Dungeons?
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2009, 04:07:10 PM »
Not to mention the gamble one would take.. "If I go through here, there could be as many as fifty of these suckers... or there could be just one and a PHAT treasure chest..." 
"Alexander the Destroyer"

"In a closed society where everyone is guilty, the greatest crime is getting caught. In a world full of thieves, the greatest sin is stupidity" ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2009, 10:39:18 PM »
I want the dungeon with one 10' x 10' room and an orc guarding a chest.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Wids

• We don't need no stinkin' avatars!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2009, 04:40:15 AM »
I want the dungeon with one 10' x 10' room and an orc guarding a chest.
Ooh!  Would you have to fight a gazebo before you could get to that dungeon?   :mrgreen:

Madnobody

• Undead Master
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2009, 06:21:28 AM »
There is no chest. There is,however,a pie.

Mrjunkie

• Dark Lord
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2009, 06:45:32 AM »

Sold!

engelfire

• Dark Power
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2009, 07:44:26 AM »
I would like to see a dead magic zone where magic does not work. :)

i remember someone once suggesting this idea, but there was some problems in creating such areas, wasnt doable or something like that. and though would it even be logical to have such areas in Barovia? All that "lets do a dungeon that has dispells flying all over" talk is kinda odd and feels bit ooc-solution to topic "wizards and dungeons". Which amazes me little, whats with the wizard shafting again? Fighters are these days pretty powerfull with all the weapons and items they can have.

i would more encourage dungeons that would bring out the best in the characters class, a dungeon where your survival depends on your skills. Not some dungeon which is mainly built so that it slaps wizards ass and melee folk can be happy there.

Keep in mind that as you walk in such dungeon, you are propably buffed. do you think that the dispelling monsters only hurt the wizard but lets the buffed ones walk free? Newsflash, when those monsters dispell your warriors buffs, the wizard has been eaten and you are in quite a pickle (possibly). And your fighters all herbalist buffs would get dispelled aswell, so its kinda +/-0 situation anyway

however, one could create such dungeons where you need various traits to succeed, rusted levers need a strong person to yank free, magical door could use a wizard to spellcraft the runes and if succesfull they would learn the ancient word for opening the door. You would also need a thief to open that complex lock, one that could have been scripted to be opened only by a rogue for example.

Theres gazillion ways to build a interesting dungeon, and it doesnt always have to be full of monsters either, you could have a dungeon that has rich history and background, you could have dungeons that dm's will bring to life.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 07:46:20 AM by engelfire »
Vino - Who are you calling fat !?
Hekathn - You make a fine collection of bodyparts nnggghhh...

Jana

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2009, 02:03:55 AM »
I think a dungeon with a 'dead magic' zone would be fun. You enter and everyone is hit with dispell and silenced. This first off the bat would ruin any spell caster farmer's chance of going through. Maybe it's mean but in all honesty on a low magic server, spell casters account for a LOT of power... plus without magic a lot of thinking needs to be done before entering the zone.

I don't mean to single out spell casters, but its true a gate spell or black blade can farm the heck out of most areas with ease. Even if the monsters weren't that strong, this sort of dugeon would be a challenge to everyone, even ninja looters.

And to clarify the intent is a DEAD magic zone so even normally enchanted items shouldn't work... dunno how easy that would be to script though. No magic weapons, no potions, no buffs. What you see in your charsheet is what you get.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 02:06:21 AM by Jana »
Jana - Red Vardo Leathercrafter
Jacho - Lich Wannabe
Fiona - Copper Smith
Janie - MIA

DarkWyvern

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2009, 02:20:20 AM »
I think a dungeon with a 'dead magic' zone would be fun. You enter and everyone is hit with dispell and silenced. This first off the bat would ruin any spell caster farmer's chance of going through. Maybe it's mean but in all honesty on a low magic server, spell casters account for a LOT of power... plus without magic a lot of thinking needs to be done before entering the zone.

I don't mean to single out spell casters, but its true a gate spell or black blade can farm the heck out of most areas with ease. Even if the monsters weren't that strong, this sort of dugeon would be a challenge to everyone, even ninja looters.

And to clarify the intent is a DEAD magic zone so even normally enchanted items shouldn't work... dunno how easy that would be to script though. No magic weapons, no potions, no buffs. What you see in your charsheet is what you get.

Dead Magic Zone, or even a Wild Magic Zone. :) Go to cast mage armor on an ally, and nail them with something offensive. LOL Woops! ;)

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2009, 03:10:01 AM »

Sold!

Sold as well.  But wait what kind of pie?  Apple or Cherry?
"Alexander the Destroyer"

"In a closed society where everyone is guilty, the greatest crime is getting caught. In a world full of thieves, the greatest sin is stupidity" ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2009, 06:40:50 AM »
Dead Magic Zone, or even a Wild Magic Zone. :) Go to cast mage armor on an ally, and nail them with something offensive. LOL Woops! ;)

The easy answer would be to buff up before going into that Zone. I think rationalizing why magic wouldn't work or work correctly is probably the hardest thing.

As for the dispelling thing... if you dispel a magician, they become funny-looking cannon fodder. If you dispel a warrior, you still are left with a warrior. Just saying. 8)
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Mrjunkie

• Dark Lord
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2009, 07:06:59 AM »

Sold!

Sold as well.  But wait what kind of pie?  Apple or Cherry?

Why not both?! I'll eat my pie for two. :mrgreen:

engelfire

• Dark Power
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2009, 09:02:02 AM »

yeah thats right, those are powerfull spells becouse they are infact lv9 spells. and how many casters we have here at the moment who can actually cast those spells? hm, id say about 2 or 3. compared to all other classes and other mages thats pretty small number

there is really no rational logic to apply dead/wildmagic areas to any dungeon. sure it sounds fun when mages try to cast spells in wildmagic areas, but seriously think would any sane player to such dungeon with their mage? i bet they wouldnt, they would go to those same old places they go anyway.

if you dispel a magician, they become funny-looking cannon fodder. If you dispel a warrior, you still are left with a warrior. Just saying. Cool

perhaps, but the question is, how long the fighter stay alive in a tough place without buffs eh ? :)

trust me, there are far more better ways to build interesting dungeon that pleases all than just build a dungeon and slap deadmagic zone inside. and besides, it would be pointless to build such a dungeon becouse these days it seems that pure melee's are quite a small fraction compared to all caster/melee builds we have here
Vino - Who are you calling fat !?
Hekathn - You make a fine collection of bodyparts nnggghhh...