You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: the no logging out in spawn areas  (Read 3286 times)

Aran

• Undead Master
  • Into the storm with teeth bared !
    • vikings rule
the no logging out in spawn areas
« on: April 19, 2009, 07:51:34 AM »
seems to me the no logging out in a spawn area have gone a bit far.

you cant even seek shelter from the sun in the sewers of the slums anymore :-)

last few times i as normal seek a somewhat safe area before logging out (down the old well away from the sun) when i log in it have been to my last safe spot unfortunately barovian  blood of the wine, thus making it somewhat hard to continue valakki RP :-)

couldnt the slum sewers be left out of this ?,  pretty sure noone will start camping there:-)

aran

Aran: Deceased......twice
Arakor: the void within that chills the heart
Markos Donarew: the broken husk
Bronk: ADHD
Marg: the silent hand that kills

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
Re: the no logging out in spawn areas
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 08:05:21 AM »
Hmm, you could probably seek down in the areas adjactant to the Drain. Could disable it from the entire sewers though, I'll think a bit on it - perhaps there's a better solution...

Others have thoughts to share on this?

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 08:28:34 AM »
You could disable it only for vampire PC's.  It's hard for a vampire PC to get killed by logging into a surprise swarm of rats, so I figure they would be okay with that.

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 09:52:17 AM »
Cant log off in dungeons entirely anymore? That's a bit.. out there i guess. What happen if you HAVE to log, emergencies happens all the time and everywhere and often i've let the server reset drag me back to the outskirts when i logged exhausted at 4am down in the dragon's pit or somesuch. Can't say i like it. Extreme measures against a handful of farmers are yet again making it difficult for the rest of the player base.

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 10:13:59 AM »
Cant log off in dungeons entirely anymore? That's a bit.. out there i guess. What happen if you HAVE to log, emergencies happens all the time and everywhere and often i've let the server reset drag me back to the outskirts when i logged exhausted at 4am down in the dragon's pit or somesuch. Can't say i like it. Extreme measures against a handful of farmers are yet again making it difficult for the rest of the player base.

Do you know what the implications are of the system? Doesn't seem related to what you are saying.

:bonk:

All it does is just the same as it did before, but more consistently. I think you have about 15 minutes to come back, so should cover most

boompowclash

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 10:28:00 AM »
I think Monster PCs have a little-practiced advantage in "Lair-ing" in dungeons, something I think should be fair game for them.

I've previously suggested, elsewhere, that Vampire spawn be able to set up different style coffins, wooden vs. stone sarcophogi, etc.  To help hide.

Aran

• Undead Master
  • Into the storm with teeth bared !
    • vikings rule
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 10:39:38 AM »
thing is
often a rp session drags out and the RP includes the *looking towards east*,   *looking nerveusly towards east*, ie. you get the drill, then the quick walk away to the well.

i think the system is there to prevent people from cleaning an area, log wait  login clean again.  not to protect people from getting swarmed after logging out a nonsafe spot (tough luck lol)

but some areas are also safe havens.

nothing worth farming is in those sewers that you couldnt just as well reach by logging in in the outskirts or anyplace else in the city. exept for vampires everyone can do that but alas we do need to get away from the sun  :)

if not to mutch of a hassle i think letting those areas (sewers) out of the equation wouldnt give opportunity for farming ;-)

aran

Aran: Deceased......twice
Arakor: the void within that chills the heart
Markos Donarew: the broken husk
Bronk: ADHD
Marg: the silent hand that kills

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 10:48:31 AM »
Well, for lower levels, they can be the Shangri-La of farming, but I'm fond of the argument of monstrous characters lair-ing. They are held against higher standards too and can have their template removed if abused, so I figure they aren't relevant to the system anyway.

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 11:47:55 AM »
Well i dont see any in depth explanations anywhere either, maybe you could explain it so no one flies off the handle.  :mrgreen:  Is it a no log out or a no log in system?

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 12:13:04 PM »
Well i dont see any in depth explanations anywhere either, maybe you could explain it so no one flies off the handle.  :mrgreen:  Is it a no log out or a no log in system?

The system allows you to log out wherever you want, but if the timer (15 minutes) ticks away, when you log back in, it forces you back to the last "safe location".  This prevents people from logging out in "treasure rooms" just so they can camp them, and protects the lower levels who might either loose connection, or under circumstances like you mentioned Nef, need to log.  So when they come back, they aren't stuck in a dangerous part of the dungeon with no one else around to assist them.

I'm not entirely certain how the system iis set up in the build/scripts.  I was thinking it might be easy enough to add a line of script to the transition at the very begining of each dungeon that sets the "safe zone" waypoint for relogging.  That or a seperate trigger painted around the transition itself.  I've never experienced the actual script in logging/relogging so I'm not sure exactly how it functions, just the ideal behind its purpose.

Sage - When stories come to life

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 12:20:16 PM »
Aahh now that makes sense. does it apply as well to non aggressive creatures like mice or dogs or npcs?

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 12:56:20 PM »
I'll admit I haven't followed this discussion too close so please keep that in mind.  On most servers, if you log off in a dungeon and then log back in within a certain amount of time, you get a warning from the DM.  Next time your player is unceremoniously removed from the game server.  That's how they handle farmers and it works. 

Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 01:08:50 PM »
I'll admit I haven't followed this discussion too close so please keep that in mind.  On most servers, if you log off in a dungeon and then log back in within a certain amount of time, you get a warning from the DM.  Next time your player is unceremoniously removed from the game server.  That's how they handle farmers and it works. 

hehe, that system wouldn't bother me any, but I think the team wants to be understanding that sometimes, be it frequent or not, a player has to log during a dungeon crawl.  Might be an emergency with their kids, or time for dinner, or simply the player has pushed themselves as far as they can and need to log for work/sleep.  The player may have expected to finish the dungeon run and be out before they needed to go, but their group ran into someone elses in game and parlay{or PVP} happened that made the trip longer than expected.  In these cases the player shouldn't be punished, and I think the team has a good compromised solution.  Now those players can log and come back without worry of repercussions, and the farmers are prevented from simply looting treasure rooms.

Sage - When stories come to life

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 01:22:13 PM »
Aahh now that makes sense. does it apply as well to non aggressive creatures like mice or dogs or npcs?

No, only things that are marked as dungeon creatures (so to speak) and only areas marked as dungeons (so to speak)... :)

Chrisman888

• The Man Of The Hour
  • Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 03:28:37 PM »
So when I travel all way to the peak of Ghakis... I can kill all the ghostys, then log out.. eat lunch.. log back in and be alll way back down! :D

Sweet  8)

~ Chris
Current Characters:
- Horatiu Milosovici (Barovian)
- Garbhan Macduff (Forlon)

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2009, 04:35:59 PM »

hehe, that system wouldn't bother me any, but I think the team wants to be understanding that sometimes, be it frequent or not, a player has to log during a dungeon crawl.  Might be an emergency with their kids, or time for dinner, or simply the player has pushed themselves as far as they can and need to log for work/sleep.  The player may have expected to finish the dungeon run and be out before they needed to go, but their group ran into someone elses in game and parlay{or PVP} happened that made the trip longer than expected.  In these cases the player shouldn't be punished, and I think the team has a good compromised solution.  Now those players can log and come back without worry of repercussions, and the farmers are prevented from simply looting treasure rooms.

Damn, common sense. What's next logic?    :mrgreen:
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2009, 05:00:45 PM »
It should be disabled for the sewers, I think. And a majority of other maps. It's not such a big deal to log off in most places, it's just a few that will promote camping. Most dungeons take care of themselves. Log off at your own peril, meaning you log back in and you'll be getting pummeled almost immediately, unbuffed, which means you're really screwed.

Places I always noticed easy camping, or would have the possibility of camping... inside last treasure room in the werewolf ship. Treasure chests atop Ghakis. That one treasure house in the swamp. Inside the alhoon's treasure room, and inside Malthor's treasure room.  Off the top of my head, those are the only places where you can really camp a worthwhile chest, without worrying about being slammed for logging out there. Almost everywhere else is either not worth it, or it's such a risk logging out there that people should be able to do it. ;)

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2009, 12:10:44 AM »
I think Monster PCs have a little-practiced advantage in "Lair-ing" in dungeons, something I think should be fair game for them.

I've previously suggested, elsewhere, that Vampire spawn be able to set up different style coffins, wooden vs. stone sarcophogi, etc.  To help hide.

Solid steel?

Samson/Tatyanna Costella