You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: A Story Like One Other, by Sage Westbend  (Read 1826 times)

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
A Story Like One Other, by Sage Westbend
« on: April 18, 2009, 01:27:08 AM »
Prologue

It was still a few minutes before dawn, and Sara sat with her journal on the steps of the lighthouse.  Reading over events of her life in the light cast by the tower above.  "Its all so ordinary" she thought aloud.  Memories of her childhood, her family and friends... she knew there were probably a hundred thousand other girls who had similar tales to tell.  Still, it was her life, and some of it her ambitions and dreams.

"Whats so ordinary?" came the voice from behind her.  She knew by the tone that it was Kevin the alchemists son, and a good friend.  This wasn't the first time he had come to see her in the early hours at the lighthouse, and so it was no surprise to hear his voice that day.

"Nothing Kevin... and you shouldn't keep sneaking up on me like that."  Closing the journal and tucking it under an arm, she turned to look into his dark green eyes.  As expected he wore his fancy cloak, the blue one with the gold emroidery along its hems.  That cloak was his pride and joy, marking him as both an apprentice of magic and alchemy. 

"You can't hide it from me Sara, I know thats your journal."  Kevin moved around the bottom of the stairs to stand before her.  "And you here without a quill, your thinking over something from your past.  I just can't figure out which part you think is so 'ordinary'."

Sara considered trying to change the subject, or to devise a quick lie.  She knew, however, that Kevin was the one person she couldn't fool.  She was no fool, and he was perhaps the only person she knew that was smarter than herself.  "All of it" she sighed.  "There isn't a page in this book that details anything more than a normal day in the life of a normal girl." 

Kevin could sense the sadness in her voice.  But he didn't understand it.  For the past few years it was pretty much accepted by both of their families that come his donning of the robes of wizardry, the two would be wed.  Kevin certainly didn't think she could find anyone better than himself.  Her family most certainly agreed that he was headed for greatness and would provide for her well,  but Sara hadn't grown to accept that.  She liked him, but she did not love him.  She also didn't want to deal with that argument anytime soon.

"Want me to do something to lighten your mood Sara?" he asked.  "I can summon a dust devil on the sea and make a waterspout"

Sara shook her head, knowing that his mastery of the weave was growing much faster than she had hoped.  It was likely that in a year or so, she would have to reject his proposal and face the consequences.  "The sun is rising behind the clouds, and I can see the lights from the boats on the horizon, I think father might be on one of them."

Kevin frowned, she had always enjoyed his arcane displays in the past.  He sensed something amiss in her of late, and hoped severely that she was not going to turn out to be a foul-tempered, nagging wife.  He turned his gaze away from her to the lights on the distant waves of the sea. 

Greyrock Pier wasn't frequently used, but a few of the locals who disliked the crowded docks of the city would set in here.  It was a difficult landing, even with the lighthouse.  The northern seas were filled with numerous reefs that couldn't be safely navigated by the light of the moon.  So most ships that planned to dock there would drop anchor and begin the slow progression to shore at first light.  Most would also hang a lantern or two on their crows' nest to signal the shore that a ship was arriving.

Tonight there were two lights, and chances were good that Sara's father would be on one of them.  Returning to Northern Ergoth from the mainland.  He went twice a year to peddle a few of his wares, but also to aid in repairing the ships themselves.  Sara would always be anxious to see him, both because she missed her father, and because he always brought her a new book or two.  Reading was her outlet to the otherwise ordinary life she led.  In a book, she could imagine herself the heroine or the damsel in distress that was saved by the handsome prince.  Kevin knew this, and believed he would be the one to sweep her away from her plain life into one with him.  That alone was something to look forward to in his mind.

"Well, why don't we move to the end of the pier for a better look, I bet I can spot him on deck before you can."  Kevin offered her a hand up, which she accepted.  The two started down the sandy slope towards the pier, slowly at first.  Kevin knew Sara wasn't slow or clumsy, but she was thin and frail.  One misstep and she could twist her ankle in the sands and sprain it or worse.  Once they reached the dock itself, they both took to a sprint.  From the level of the sea the clouds seemed thicker, and they both realized a thick fog was rolling in off the sea.  Still, a dim light could be seen in the distance, and both were nearing the end of the pier where they would have the best vantage of the ships and soon the crews.

The fog grew denser as they ran, so thick it became hard to breathe.  Sara, falling a bit behind Kevin, reached out grabbing the back of his cloak in fear that he might run right off the pier at the pace they were moving.  Something was wrong... and panic set in moments before both lost consciousness.

Sage - When stories come to life

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
Re: A Story Like One Other, by Sage Westbend
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 02:58:21 PM »
Table of Contents

Chapter 1 - Old Night's Embrace

Chapter 2 - The Warm Welcome

Chapter 3 - The First Stone

Chapter 4 - Moving On...

Chapter 5 - An Empty Stomach

Chapter 6 - Frailty Has a Name
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 02:52:24 AM by Mcskinns »

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 03:02:47 PM »
Old Night's Embrace

Sara sat alone beneath a tall yew tree.  The small fire burning nearby took the chill off the breeze, but she could smell rain in the air.  They would need to find better shelter before the storm, and she hoped Kevin would return with good news to that end.  In the meanwhile, she took advantage of the rainless evening by jotting down a few notes in her journal.

I can't quite figure out what transpired yesterday morning, but we both agree some powerful magics have wisked us away to somewhere far from home.  I can't smell the sea air anywhere, nor hear the waves crashing on the shores.  I managed to twist my ankle pretty good getting through to this creepy place as well.  I suspect it will heal in a few days, but I won't be walking much in the mean time.

Kevin has gone off in search of help, he's a bit shaken up as well.  I don't know who's more scared right now, me or him.

We encountered wolves last night, three of them.  We hoped they would leave us be, but they were hardly more than skin and bones... and the thought of fresh meat was all they needed to send them our way.  I don't know what I would have done without Kevin by my side, he's been the strong one thus far.  He conjured up a spray of flames that brought down two of the wolves, but the third yet advanced unhindered by the flames.  It almost got to me, but Kevin managed a second enchantment, causing it to become momentarily stunned, and was able to bring it down with a few slashes of his dagger.

I hardly have words to express my thankfulness for his presence.  I don't know what I would have done without him.

Sara lay down the quill in its finely carved wood case and stoppered the bottle of ink and placed it inside as well.  Her father had made it for her a few years prior, carved from mahogany with her name neatly chiseled into the top.  She wished he was there too, that would have made it more bearable.  She and Kevin had sat the night before looking at the strange sky, neither could identify a single star pattern they recognized.  She hoped perhaps her father had seen the strange stars before on one of his long journeys and might be able to explain where they had come to find themselves. 

Kevin had scouted the woods nearby, and was certain they had found a place not frequently travelled.  He also discovered a road leading east and west a short distance away.  He had gone to follow the road in hopes of finding a house or some travellers who might assist in getting Sara to safety.  She was just begining to wonder what had taken him so long when she saw his figure passing through the trees a few dozen yards away.  His head was hung low, a bad sign.

As he arrived, he spoke in a serious tone.  "Sara, we aren't too far from a city, I followed the road a ways and could see a large keep and some walls around it.  There was a woodsman out cutting wood, he was hard to understand, but he tells me we are in Barovia... and that keep is called Ravenloft." 

Sara smiled.  "Good news at least, is he coming to help, or sending someone to help? I don't think I can walk very far yet."

Kevin shook his head.  "No.  He says its too dangerous to anger Old Night, whoever that is.  But he did tell me that if we survived until dawn, he would come out this way to check on us."  He dropped his things beside the fire, taking up more wood.  "I best rest a bit, and commit some studies, from the sounds of it, there are worse than wolves that roam the forests by night.  I want to be ready if they run across us."

Anxiety washed over her, she would be easy prey to anything in her condition.  But she trusted that Kevin would stand beside her.  He was all she had left in the world that she could depend on.  And darkness was already settling in around them.  It welcomed them with the first sounds of thunder.

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 12:59:04 PM »
The Warm Welcome

The wagon jostled about, waking Sara, as it rolled over the uneven cobblestones of Barovia.  She hadn't slept hardly at all the night before, and neither had Kevin.  All night shadows loomed about the forest around them, but nothing ever came into the light of the fire.  Neither of them wanted to sleep, despite their growing exhaustion. But at the rising of the sun the fear abated.  Sara slept for a bit while Kevin sought out the woodsman. 

She had been surprised to see the man brought a mule drawn cart and an assortment of tools.  He didn't look at all freindly, and she could tell by the shovel tethered to the cart he had come to bury them if nothing else.  His voice was rough, and he spoke very little, but he let them climb into the cart which smelled of hay and dung.  And for a few coins, delivered them to the village.

Still fairly tired, Sara managed to sit up in the cart.  It wasn't quite yet mid-day.  She looked about at the guards and peasants milling through the streets in lethargic fashion.  She noted the lack of smiles on their faces, and wondered what sort of place they had come to find themselves in.  The cart stopped in front of a large building and the man told them it was the Blood o' the Vine Inn.  They both thanked him for the aid and Kevn helped Sara to her feet.  Using a length of wood she found in the forest as a crutch, she worked her way inside with Kevin, giving friendly thanks to the man outside.  He just watched them, almost as if he were watching a funeral procession.

The inside of the tavern was lively as a lot of locals were gathered around drinking and gossiping at various tables.  They found a seat inside, and the barmaid took their order and headed off to the bar to fill their mugs.  "We need to figure out where this place is in relation to Ergoth" Kevin said, as if she were not aware of it herself. 

Over the first mug, they discussed their strategy.  Kevin would head about town and see what he could find out, while Sara sat at the tavern and cared for her ankle and spoke to the people inside.  Reluctant to let him out of her sight, Sara knew he was right.  It would still be a couple days before she was walking again without aid, and they wanted to get home as soon as they could.  Their families would both be worried about them.

By nightfall, when Kevin returned Sara had learned very little.  Most of the bars patrons were natives and wanted nothing to do with her, the few that did spare a few words with her simply told her what she had already heard. The first day proved to be trying on their patience.  The pretense had been set for the coming days.

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 12:45:42 PM »
The First Stone

"I do believe I win this round as well, shall we play another?"  Pavel's voice was almost mocking as he gathered up the cards and began to shuffle them in hopes of another hand.  The smile on his face was larger than normal.  He had won a fair bit of coin from the outlander girl sitting across from him.  In the days past she had come frequently, and played well.  He felt the sting of some of those losses, but today was his day

Sara checked her coins, barely enough to ensure a meal and room for the night.  She new Kevin would understand, those were the risks they took to survive in this land.  In the least they could afford a night in the common room, and put down some stale bread.  Deciding to err on the side of caution, she bagged her remaining coins and shook her head.  "No, I think that will do it for me today, well played sir."

Pavel simply smiled and nodded, looking around for another intested in playing.

With a sigh, Sara returned to the table in the corner where Kevin sat.  His dark robe with the blue emroidered trim hung over the back of the chair.  One look at her was all he needed to know that she had lost this day.  Her heart sank as she saw his expression.  For all these years she had known him, cared for him as a friend, and now... in all that was happening, he was her rock.  Away from everything they knew, he was somehow different.  She could see herself married to him, and she had let them both down.

Kevin smiled a wry smile and patted the chair beside him. As Sara sat with a deeper sigh he placed an arm around her shoulder.  It was comforting in a way she had not felt before.  Despite being in Barovia, a land they now understood was not in the same realm as their own, they had each other.  Kevin was certain he would discover what magics had brought them here, and find a way to use them to return.  All they needed was time to figure it out.  "How bad?"  His words would have felt condescending before, but now they seemed sympathetic.

"Pretty bad, we are down to 23 gold.  I just couldn't get a break tonight."  Sara had done her part for the past two weeks, taking what few coins Kevin could earn and helping them grow with a few hands of cards.  They worked well together, and she had faith that between the two of them they would find a way home.  But she knew in the end it would be his magic that saved them from this dreary land.

"Well, no need to worry over it.  I've given it some thought and I have an idea how to earn a bit of coin, maybe even a lot of it."  The ends of his lips turning up in a bit of a smile. "There are still a couple hours of light left, lets go outside and liven things up a bit."

Sara nodded, feeling good to be optimistic and supportive of him, even if she didn't know exactly how they were going to pull it off.  They weaved their way through the rooms of the Blood o' the Vine and to the front door.  Passing outside, they saw a few of the locals milling about in the street.  Kevin, walked a short way from the door and climbed atop a crate. 

Sara watched, from near the door, and she then knew what his plan was.  She hoped it would work. Kevin had a flair for showmanship she herself lacked.  If nothing else, she would enjoy watching this.

Kevin lifted his arms into the air, calling out for everyone's attention.  Gesturing them closer.  Most of the natives gave him wary looks, but a few did turn to see what the commotion was about.  "Ladies and gentlemen!  What you are about to observe is certain to amaze and mesmerize!"  Sara watched with anticipation, hardly noticing the crowds response. 

Kevin spoke words that made no sense to the villagers, and he reached out before himself with the palms of his hands clasped together.  As he drew them apart, a ball of bright white light formed between them, chasing the shadows from Kevin's stage.  Men and women alike withdrew, and murmurings in the strange tounge they called Balok began to circulate.  Kevin swiftly prepared his next spell, hoping to excite the crowd into staying to watch more, and hopefully offer something for the show.  Muttering more arcane words, he thrust his hands high above his head, small sparks of electricity twirling from his fingers, spreading outward and upward into the air.  Sara smiled as she watched, but her smile disappeared quickly when she saw the first stone. 

The sparks faded with his concentration, and Kevin let out a yelp as the fist sized stone that was cast took him squarely in the chest.  One hand went to the pain the other raised to deflect another stone hurtling through the air in his direction.  The first had taken his breath, the other his balance.  He tumbled off the crate onto the stone cobbles. 

"No!  Stop!" screamed Sara, watching as more of the peasants were trying to pry loose cobbles from the street.  Without regard to her own safety, she rushed forward, but not before a third stone hit Kevin's temple.  Sara threw herself over his body protectively, tears already forming as she screamed for them to stop.  She tried to help him, but he wasn't moving.  She felt the sting of more stones herself, first on her leg, then her back.  She ducked her head under her arms, trying to protect him, but screaming out in anger and pain. 

The natives cursed the witch and the stupid girl who tried to defend it, and cries for torches and a bonfire were spreading.  Old Night's fingers however were already reaching out for the village.  The distant call of wolves gave the peasants pause, so they cast the last of their stones and hurried off to the safety of their homes.

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 02:23:16 AM »
Moving On...

Kevin lie completely still, his eyes open staring at the cieling of the church of the Morninglord.  Dried blood marked his wounds and matted his hair.  Two initiates in white robes worked quietly to clean the wounds.  Meanwhile, in the next room, Sara lay in tears.  Her wounds were mostly healed by the grace of the residing priest, but the pain was unbearable.  The stones had caused wounds that would not soon heal under any gifts of the gods.

Vicar Miklos stood nearby, offering her comforting words that did little to comfort.  She was broken in a way she had never known before.  She felt no physical pain, but instead the pain of the heart that cried out for Kevin, the fear of being left alone now that he was gone.  Old Night had come for her it seemed, but not for him.  Sara had no idea who had taken the time to carry them to the temple, but some selfless soul had done just that.

The girl had spent years of her life trying to deny one man, only to come to love him and lose him so quickly in the end.  Her only hope for the return to Ergoth was gone.  Now she had lost her home, her family, and the only other person she felt she could trust.  She was alone, and she wept.

She barely ate anything the next few days, only sat alone in a room provided by the temple.  Light Carriers and Initiates made frequent stops to check on her, but did not often stay for more than a few minutes.  She felt she was cast into a pit of despair deep within herself, and no light could shine bright enough to lead her back out.  

On the fourth day, the Vicar came to see her personally, with him he carried a bag.  Though she sat staring ahead, seemingly unaware of his presence he spoke.  "Poor poor child, you must find solace within the blessings of the Dawn, for he has delivered you back into our fold.  Do not forsake that gift by allowing yourself to wither back into death's fold."

Sara made no effort to speak, but her eyes did meet his, and they became wet with tears once more.  Gently he wiped them away with a damp cloth.  He lay the bag beside her, letting the top fall open and some of the contents become visible to her.  What she noticed first was the blue embroidery of Kevin's cloak, and the blue bound leather book that stood upright within.  Her hands went for them immediately, clutching the cloak to her chest as she closed her eyes to the memory.  

"I cannot delay the burial more than another day child, you must decide how it is to be handled, these are his things, and your own that I managed to recover from the inn.  If you do not come forth and speak to me, then I will have no choice but to burn his remains and cast the bones among those in a communal grave."  The Vicar's words stung a bit, but she managed to shake her head.  "It will cost a few gold for a proper burial and stone child, but you do not appear to possess such. We are not a wealthy church, but we will aid what we can if you can provide the details for a proper burial from your lands."

She was by no means ready for such a discussion, but somehow, deep within herself something stirred.  Be it instinct for survival or a bit of uncommon sense, she managed to tell the Vicar what she wished for his ceremony and grave.  After hearing, he rose and walked to the door, calling for food and water from the light carrier standing nearby.  When he returned he took her hand. "You have suffered and lost a lot child, I can arrange most of the things you wish for your friend.  Alas, the only man that might be
willing to make the headstone for the grave of an Outlander requires payment, coins more than the church can offer, and it is doubtful any of the villagers will offer to help either.
"

Sara nodded slowly, her voice hoarse from the wailing screams and days of near constant grieving that had passed.  She withdrew the necessities from the bag, and the book that held Kevin's most treasured knowledge.  Little remained in the bag, and so she stuffed the cloak back into it and handed it to the Vicar. "I have too few coins, but you might get enough from the sale of these to give him what he deserves."  Sara wiped at her eyes, forcing herself to be strong.  She couldn't save Kevin, it was
too late, but she could give him proper honors in death.

The next day, Kevin was placed within the dirt.  The only people present beside Sara were the gravedigger, a couple of lightcarriers and the Vicar long enough to speak the hymns of the Morninglord.  Sara remained in the cemetary until almost dark.  When the gravedigger ushered her out and closed the gate she made a silent oath to return when she could.  She sought the comfort of the inn for the night.  The sale of the cloak having yeilded a fair enough price to buy the meager tombstone as well as enough
for a few hands of cards with Pavel.  She played hard that night, her future depended on it.  She would often wonder if Kevin was not there in spirit watching over her when the perfect card was dealt to complete her hand.  And by the end of the night she had a full purse.  Still she felt alone and unhappy.  Patrons of the tavern would give her glares and she heard them speaking in hushed tones behind her back.

The following morning she awoke, and upon walking out the inn with everything she had in hand she encountered a travelling caravan of gypsies that called themselves Vistani.  She spoke with a few of them offering to sell her wares, and surely enough they did take a portion of her coins.  But she did not walk away with any of their trinkets, instead she sat upon one of the carriages.  They told her that they were going to another town, somewhere she could start anew, someplace called Vallaki.  She didn't care so long as it was far from the stares and streets of Barovia, but she would not forget her oath.  One day she would return, or die trying.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 04:37:09 AM by Mcskinns »

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 10:58:53 PM »
An excerpt from Sara's Journal

I met a woman today, claiming at least to be from Ansalon, but from a distant part of the past.  Her name is Alice, a former slave to the Urda.  She seems very kind and helpful.  Which stands to reason that her husband to be, Bert, hold a position within the Morninglord clergy.  Ali as everyone seems to call her was kind enough to show me around the city some.  Perhaps best of all directing me to a place called Hullgraves, a wonderous place with many books for sale.  Bert is quite different in ways to Alice, where she seems to be learning of the world and its ways, he has taken a role not unlike a teacher in guiding her.  I cannot help but feel envious of the two.  It can be so lonely with no one to share the darkness of night but strangers.

An Empty Stomach

Sara backed away from the nightmarish sights that unfolded before her.  In the darkness of the crypts all that could be seen was the holy glow coming from Bert's gear.  Despite the distance between herself and the shambling zombies, and despite the apparent ease with which the others seemed to fell the foul undead, Sara could not bear to step closer.  Her steps carried her further backwards into the darkness until she felt something brush against her arm. 

Turning with a shrill scream, she found herself face to face with several smaller zombies, their twisted half rotted faces staring at her with dark hungry eyes.  Her scream turned to one for help. "Get away from me!  Someone!  Help!" she cried out, and the attention given to the undead further down the hall was momentarily forgotten by all.  Several rushed in the darkness to her aid, felling the zombie that had backed Sara against the wall, and quickly dispatching the others before they could reach her. 

Sara's heart raced, she had survived without a scratch, but was deeply unnerved by the experience.  Bert ensured everyone was alright before he called Alice to his side.  "Ali, can you identify these remains?  Think carefully, some undead might resemble another so it is important that you can tell the minor differences, since each have their strengths and weaknesses."

Ali stood over the bodies of the fallen undead, carefully noting their stages of decomposition, and their apparent likes and differences.  Successfully identifying the different types with relative ease.  Sara, heart still racing, tried to listen to her words, but the ringing in her ears from the fighting and the heavy pounding of her heart made it difficult to focus on Ali's voice.  She inched closer to the forms, some still twitching on the floor of the crypts.  As she neared close enough to see the ones illuminated by Bert's divinely given light, she gasped in disgust and awe. 

Its face was withered and torn, it looked almost as if its face had been partially chewed off by another zombie. Strips of flesh, dark with rot, hung from its chin.  Deep within the foul flesh she could see movement, against her better judgement she squinted a bit to try to make it out.  The flesh was ridden with maggots. 

Sara turned from the group, placing a hand upon the wall and lurching as she doubled over speweing forth every last bit of food in her stomach upon the floor.  She gagged numerous times, until all that remained was the reflex to do so again.  Everyone stood around her, faces a mixed show of pity and disgust.  She felt embarassed to have been so much weaker than they, but it was something she had not come prepared for.  She heaved again as Mithic set about breaking the fingers off the poor hollow souls, but there was nothing left to lose.

Bert and Alice offered her a bit of comfort before they all moved further into the center of the crypts where they quickly dispatched another set of undead, this time mostly skeletons.  Sara still felt ill, but the bones were not nearly as disgusting to see as the ravaged flesh of the zombies.  She kept close and quiet, until they rounded a large smelly pit in the center.  Her eyes turned to the grating that stood over it.  The iron bars far enough apart to allow passage into the depths of the hole.  Piled within were hundreds of bodies in various stages of decay.  It was all too much, and despite not having more to give, she doubled over again trying.

Warren kindly offered to escort her to the temple above, if it was too much, which she shamefully admitted it was.  Under his kind direction, she gave her apologies and wished the others well in their journey deeper into the crypts, and then swiftly, head hung low, followed Warren back to the safety above.

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 04:22:18 AM »
An Excerpt from Sara's Journal

I have come to enjoy the presense of Alandra and Estavan, despite not quite feeling a part of their group.  They both encourage me to break away from my normal daily routine and delve into the unknown.  We are planning to travel back to the village soon, to explore the mausoleum.  I am told that numerous traps can be found within, and I am anxious to try my hand at unweaving the wires.  I shall have to drink warm milk tonight, lest the thrill of the danger keep me awake till dawn.  I have my doubts about Estavan's friend Abe, beyond his awful purple clothing and arrogant attitude... something just strikes me as off.  Perhaps one day I will unravel that mystery.

Frailty Has A Name

Old Night had sheltered the land once more, driving all but the most determined people behind doors for the night.  Sara sat alone in the Ladies Rest recording some things in her journal at a large table in the middle of the inn.  Several people sat in different parts of the inn, holding hushed conversations among themselves, or sharing drinks to rid themselves of the burden of day-to-day life.  So occupied in her writing she barely noticed the opening of the door, and the woman that approached and climbed atop the chair next to her, perching atop it not unlike a stone gargoyle atop a stone wall.

Unusual.  That was the only word Sara could think of at that moment to describe this new woman.  Her clothing was tattered and worn far too thin, and her feet were covered in dirt and mud.  Atop her head was a mess of hair, it looked as if it had never been brushed, or perhaps that a few birds had managed to somehow make nest within.  Then this unusual woman waved a hand to Sara and spoke, in a very crude and harsh voice.  "is pretties...what is name?".  Before Sara could answer, the woman pointed to herself and spoke again "...is Dolly"

Startled a bit by the womans mannerisms, but not wishing to offend her, she answered as politely as she could.  "Why thank you, my name is Sara.  It's nice to meet you Dolly.  

The two sat together, an odd pairing.  One delicate and learned, the other quite rough and nearly uncivilized.  They passed the hours with talk of things from writing, to hunting, to Sara's childhood collection fo butterflies.  Dolly spoke with great pride about her own prowess in collecting beetles from the nearby caves.  Dolly likes hunting beetles!"

"Well, thats a good hobby."  Sara offered a smile, having found something in common with the girl.

Everything seemed well, despite Dolly's unusual behavior and speech.  Well, that and her unusual craving for whisky.  Sara was amazed to see the thin girl drink several bottles of the awful tasting brew like it was water.  Sara couldn't quite discern if the girl was immune to the alcohol, or just had a terribly high tolerance.  She thought for certain Dolly would pass out at any moment, and she would be left to get a room for her to sleep off the effects of the whisky.  

The inn door opened, and both girls looked out into the dark of the night anxious to see what had made its way to the inn at such an hour.  Sara's concerned look turned to a smile as she saw Alandra enter with a tall well-built, handsome man.  Alandra approached the table "Oh Sara, seems I found myself a Knight, this is Jamal... Jamal, this is my friend Sara... but I don't know the girl next to her."

After introductions, Alandra and Jamal took seats across from the other two.  Neither quite certain what to make of the unkempt Dolly.  The conversation changed many times over the night, even touching on the meaning of Jamal's tattoo behind his ear.  A lot of the discussion had to be reworded in ways Dolly could understand.  She did however grasp the meanings of most everything when put into simpler words.  Eventually the topic turned back to the beetles.  And Dolly was quite pleased to have a topic she felt an authority on.  

Dolly told them of her prowess in hunting, and even showed them a huge elytra she had taken from one of the beetles.  Sara recognized it almost immediately, its color and design reminded her of the small beetles she had seen once as a child.  Fire beetles the people back home had called them.  These however were the size of a small horse judging by the elytra.

Dolly, growing more excited and anxious to resume the hunt for beetles insisted that Sara join her, to see first hand how wonderful it was to hunt beetles.  Sara quickly declined, having seen the amount of flammable fluids Dolly had drank, she feared a bite from one of the beetles might cause the poor girl to burn to ash as the alcohol was burned from her body.  Dolly however, would not take no for an answer.  She leapt from her perch on the chair and snatched up Sara with ease, throwing her over one shoulder into a firemans carry.  Sara yelped in shock, and called out for help, unable to overpower Dolly to escape.  Dolly made quick steps around the table towards the door, but Alandra had managed to move to block the door.  

Dolly was not deterred by Alandra's attempt and ducked to one side, slipping past her and reaching for the door.  Alandra, quick to react, managed to snatch Sara by the waist, and tried to pull her free of Dolly's grasp.  The arm holding Sara's leg was extended for the door handle, and thus her leg slipped easily from her grasp, but her arm was less fortunate.  The shifting of Sara's weight as her lower body began to drop to the ground forced the other arm to twist sharply, and a resounding crack was heard throughout the common room, followed by a scream of agony.  For a moment, everything seemed to stop... everything except the pain Sara felt in her arm, and the sound of her screams.

The inn burst into a flurry of commotion.  People who had been minding their own business rose and came to see what was going on.  They found Alandra and Dolly arguing over the huddled form of Sara on the floor.  Sara's face was red and wet with streams of tears at the pain.  She held her arm, cradling it tightly to herself, likely causing more pain on her own, but protecting it as best she could from the people standing over her.  It felt like hours to her, but it was only a matter of minutes in reality.  More people stood over her, arguing over who's fault it was, and how bad it might be.  Alandra and Jamal were both trying to coax her into letting them see the arm, and Dolly ran off to avoid further trouble.  The noise and the crowd kept her in a state of panic, and all she could manage was to back into a corner and huddle over her arm to protect it, and cry.

Among the other patrons that night was a woman, with a soft voice, and kind face.  She managed to push back the crowd and calm Sara a bit, and even eventually to allow them to see her arm.  The woman nodded quickly, informing everyone that it had been broken, and would need to be set before it could be healed.  Sara trembled at the thought, knowing it would involve more pain before it would be better.  But Jamal reached in, taking her arm and straightening it swiftly and loosing the blessing of his god into it at the same time.  Despite the healing, Sara released another loud scream, which subsided as the pain drifted into memory.  

Wiping the tears from her eyes, embarassed by the whole ordeal, she spoke her thanks to the woman.  "It'll be alright miss" she spoke.  "You'll be fine, just get some rest, and if you need anything... my name is Holly"  

Sara thanked Holly quietly, and then was led off by Alandra to a room so she could rest off the events of the evening.