You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Improved Quill  (Read 2610 times)

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
Improved Quill
« on: April 14, 2009, 01:10:13 PM »
Last night, I wrote my first letter, and what I found out? I wanted to make a double copy but I'd have to write it all over again.

You guys think a quill with the target paper plus copy function would come in hand?

How would it work?

You select a paper to write, okay, then you write whatever you want, then the papper still is selected as target and now has text on it, the quill could have a second option besides "target paper", this option could be "copy" all you have to do now is to target a blank paper with the quill(using the copy function) then it'd be a perfect copy of the first one.

Chrisman888

• The Man Of The Hour
  • Dark Power
Re: Improved Quill
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 02:04:48 PM »
Easier said then scripted.

I believe this came up before and it might be impossible to do, not to sure though.

~ Chris
Current Characters:
- Horatiu Milosovici (Barovian)
- Garbhan Macduff (Forlon)

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 03:37:43 PM »
Easier said then scripted.

I thought so, but no harm in asking around :P

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 06:35:09 PM »
Type it in notepad, then copy it in game

Chrisman888

• The Man Of The Hour
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 07:18:31 PM »

[ ! ]

Your a mad man!

~ Chris
Current Characters:
- Horatiu Milosovici (Barovian)
- Garbhan Macduff (Forlon)

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 08:33:54 PM »

Problem is that not everybody have a good machine to easily alt+tab at their will. Alt+tab is not a problem here, but why not do it in game?(Copy)

Kadtreko

• New to the Mists
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 08:45:59 PM »
 :offtopic:
Windowed mode takes less time to do than alt tabbing. Tabbing is bad for NWN anyway if you keep it fullscreen and sometimes windows doesn't 'focus' on it so your key input will latch on to whatever program you tabbed to... or your desktop. (This means you have to alt tab AGAIN)

Open nwn.ini and find this
[Display Options]
FullScreen=1
Width=1680
Height=1050
BitsPerPixels=32
RefreshRate=60
TexturePack=3
SafeMovie=0
UseLargeFont=0
Add this below UseLargeFont
AllowWindowedMode=1

Save, close, reset NWN if you have it running and hit Alt+Enter to test it out.
And a side note. Don't keep focus off of NWN if you do decide to alt-enter and then try to fullscreen it again. If you go do whatever in other programs and come back ten minutes later to fullscreen NWN again, you could take a while to load and will time out to the server. This means you'll have to ease it back in and play the game windowed for a bit, then you can fullscreen again safely.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 09:49:31 PM »
I see, but there still is the same issue. I'm pretty sure that running in windowed mode consumes more from machines. For my experience, at least in America's Army, Rome Total, frames per second got trimmed a bit.

Kadtreko

• New to the Mists
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 03:32:04 PM »
It doesn't. NWN is light compared to those two. Not to mention you're pushing it into a smaller window.

Wids

• We don't need no stinkin' avatars!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 07:49:26 PM »
That's what I do too.  I have a saved .txt file full of such IC scribblings.  Everytime the server resets, the notes that Viorica and her cohorts leave for each other at their "spy house" vanish.  So the file has the notes verbatim, with each line preceded by "@write title", "@write" or "@write add" as necessary.  It makes replacing the lost notes a snap.

It's even easier for mass copies, like the flyers for Viorica's book peddling.  Just put five or ten blank papers in the same "page" of the backpack.  Copy the title ("@write title Hey, look!  I'm selling the Frugal Trader again!").  Use the quill on one paper.  Enter, Paste, Enter.  Use the quill on the next paper.  Enter, Paste, Enter.  And so forth.  Once all the papers have titles, move to the body.  "@write Yep, Viorica has books.  Come get some!  Blah blah blah blah, yadda yadda, blah blah blah oops, running out of space, time for the next line.  Don't forget to copy the two spaces on the end here.  "  Activate quill, Enter, Paste, Enter.  Activate quill, Enter, Paste, Enter.  Activate quill, Enter, Paste, Enter.  And then copy the next line of the flyer.  "@write add Yep, that's all I have to say.  Come buy my books!"  Activate quill, Enter, Paste, Enter.  Activate quill, Enter, Paste, Enter.  Activate quill, Enter, Paste, Enter....

If you've ever worked an administrative or clerical job (like I have), it's really not that hard.  ;)

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 05:09:43 AM »
Why not alt+enter?  I do that and run it in windowed mode when I'm multitasking.  Doing it right now and it works pretty well. 
"Alexander the Destroyer"

"In a closed society where everyone is guilty, the greatest crime is getting caught. In a world full of thieves, the greatest sin is stupidity" ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 12:31:18 PM »
I'm not sure where it is "impossible" to have a printing press in game.

I thought that with use of GetName and SetName a new piece of paper could be renamed, and with GetDescription and SetDescription the "writings" could be done as well....

I am not a skilled scripter, but it would seem to me, Houlgraves might do more buisness if they sold some form of Print Template or Ink Cartridge that was consumed when the Press was used, allowing one of the writeable papers to be targeted or placed into it and duplicated.  The fee could be high even, people with enough coin that don't want to write things over and over would still find uses for it.

There could be some form of bug in the scripts, but in my mind... it just seems like it should be doable.

Sage - When stories come to life

Kadtreko

• New to the Mists
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 02:55:07 PM »
Why not alt+enter?  I do that and run it in windowed mode when I'm multitasking.  Doing it right now and it works pretty well. 

In order to do alt + enter, you need to enable the windowed mode first with the code above.