You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Silent spell  (Read 2339 times)

peluscious

• Undead Master
  • The incredible off-topic man!
Silent spell
« on: May 07, 2009, 08:32:32 PM »
Hi

I am wondering... When a spell is cast with the silent spell, only the arcane words doesn't make a sound, or the whole spell shouldn't be listened?
Is it possible to cast a spell in a sneaky way?

Thanks

Axel

• Eternal Saviour/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
Re: Silent spell
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 03:17:20 AM »
A silenced spell is a spell without verbal components, i.e., no magic mumbling or devout praying. It shouldn't affect other sounds a spell makes, e.g. a fireball will still sound like a fireball. If a spell doesn't give of any sound, then I guess you could cast it in a sneaky way with using the silence meta-magic.

boompowclash

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 03:26:19 AM »
The Tome and Blood supplement addresses the use of touch-attack spells and ranged touched attack spells and Sneak Attacks.

The rules for it, were basically that if you flank someone with a lightning bolt, your sneak attack damage is added as the element of the spell. +d6's of lightning damage ensue.

So a silenced melfs acid arrow is a very good example, it should be doing +1d6 acid per sneak attack dice, for instance.

I would positively love to have that here :P

failed.bard

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 04:06:24 AM »
The Tome and Blood supplement addresses the use of touch-attack spells and ranged touched attack spells and Sneak Attacks.

The rules for it, were basically that if you flank someone with a lightning bolt, your sneak attack damage is added as the element of the spell. +d6's of lightning damage ensue.

So a silenced melfs acid arrow is a very good example, it should be doing +1d6 acid per sneak attack dice, for instance.

I would positively love to have that here :P

I don't have that book anymore, si I could easily be wrong here, but wasn't that just for the arcane trickster PrC?

Axel

• Eternal Saviour/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 04:15:29 AM »

Sure, you could do something like that, but I don't think your flanking buddy, who, by the flanking rules, is standing on the other side of the flankee, will find it very amusing. ;)

boompowclash

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 04:20:38 AM »
Actually it wasn't just for Arcane tricksters - its something any spell caster with sneak attack can do.

And... you're quite right Axel, no wonder I don't have more spare fighters laying around :P

I never considered if something like this were possible here, but it would be remarkably cool.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 04:21:59 AM »
Might be possible...

failed.bard

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 04:55:55 AM »
From the d20 SRD:  (I bolded the interesting part)

Touch Attacks
Touching an opponent with a touch spell is considered to be an armed attack and therefore does not provoke attacks of opportunity. However, the act of casting a spell does provoke an attack of opportunity. Touch attacks come in two types: melee touch attacks and ranged touch attacks. You can score critical hits with either type of attack. Your opponent’s AC against a touch attack does not include any armor bonus, shield bonus, or natural armor bonus. His size modifier, Dexterity modifier, and deflection bonus (if any) all apply normally.

Would including critical hits on a 20 be possible for touch attacks as well?

boompowclash

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 04:59:55 AM »
 :thumbup:  That's why Weapon Focus (Touch Attack) and Weapon Focus (Ranged Touch Attack), as well as Improved Critical Feat for both varieties are good choices for a caster in pen and paper.

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 05:17:45 AM »
Hi

I am wondering... When a spell is cast with the silent spell, only the arcane words doesn't make a sound, or the whole spell shouldn't be listened?
Is it possible to cast a spell in a sneaky way?

Thanks

It may be sneaky, but if there are still somantic components, you aren't going to be totally unnoticeable. You'd still be making hand or other motions.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

peluscious

• Undead Master
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 09:49:48 AM »
It may be sneaky, but if there are still somantic components, you aren't going to be totally unnoticeable. You'd still be making hand or other motions.
Yes. But i wonder what happens if i cast behind someone's back.
To be precise, i'm not talking about combat spells. I wanted to be able to cast buffs without being noticed.
But considering most (or all?) spells make their own sounds, my best shot would be to cast it silenced while invisible. People would still know that someone is casting a spell, but it would be harder to know who did it. Right?

peluscious

• Undead Master
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 02:42:35 PM »
And i forgot to ask:
How does charm person works in the server?
The Bioware description of increasing the character's reputation doesn't mean anything to me.
Does it have the same effect as the PnP version? (the subject considers the caster a friend)
Does it work on natives that consider magic as evil witchery?
And how does silent spell act on this precise magic?

Kadtreko

• New to the Mists
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 07:27:22 PM »
All spell effects unless modified in custom content will always have an accompanied sound. (Polymorph green light always does the animal roar, as an example)
My theory on it is if someone cast it through silent spell, the whole thing should be silent in RP situations. That's easy to pay attention to. But...Bioware decided to put sounds on all their spell effects and made them persistent.

Of course, spells still do throw off light effects and have the brief appearance under the new settings here.