Author Topic: Greataxes? Where art thou?  (Read 4508 times)

kenpen

• Dark Power
Greataxes? Where art thou?
« on: April 02, 2009, 09:33:00 AM »
Does anyone know if any greataxes actually drop? I haven't seen any. Every once in a very rare while, a galloilach greataxe shows up. They're not that good, really.  I've notice a few grave lanterns drop, but they're the worst axe ever... only really good for constructs. I've seen an executioner's axe too, but they're ALSO bad. So, does anyone out there actually have any good greataxes? It's Gorn's favored weapon, but he never actually uses it because they all stink.

Kung Fu Orc

• Supreme Overlord
  • Dark Power
  • Alchoholics Incorperated
Re: Greataxes? Where art thou?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 10:46:23 PM »
Think Gaillogaich and Grave Lantern is all there is, actually.

Daciana Varzaru- "If fate is a principle beyond Human comprehension which capriciously torments man, then it is karma that man confront fate with sorcery."

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 10:50:57 PM »
Thats more than there is kukris

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

DM Nocturne

• Sanguis Noctis
  • Dark Power
  • Vampires don't do dishes
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 10:58:59 PM »
I guess thats what happens when the setting is low magic.  :|

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 11:44:48 PM »
Has nothing to do with it at all.

keen, mass crit, silver, mercurial, masterwork etc. There's a ton of propriety for weapons that aren't magic, they just need to make them.

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

Eledaar

• Undead Master
  • Who?
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 12:19:27 AM »
Thats more than there is kukris

Or bastard swords.
-Ashan Nottiams, Mad Bastard
-Cosmin Slabu, Garda
-Grom, Rat-Eating Scumbag

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 12:26:59 AM »
Bastards swords are at least as many as those two greataxes, I know since Sam carries two magic bastard swords

Eledaar

• Undead Master
  • Who?
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 09:49:12 AM »
I stand corrected.

I didn't realize there was anything other than a Falk blade.

Still, I'm sure there are other weapons than kukris with as few magic versions as the greataxe.
-Ashan Nottiams, Mad Bastard
-Cosmin Slabu, Garda
-Grom, Rat-Eating Scumbag

Jana

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 10:47:03 PM »
Handaxes are also few... cold forged and recently the rare masterwork handaxe have appeared
Jana - Red Vardo Leathercrafter
Jacho - Lich Wannabe
Fiona - Copper Smith
Janie - MIA

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 10:48:36 PM »
Monk gloves thier are loads but you should make some more lower lev ones cause its iron knuckles and then you practicly skip to the acid one.

Delphinidae

• Phasing in and out of PoTM
  • Dark Power
  • My poor wererats get no love.
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 11:45:03 PM »
Stay on topic, please.

Ongoing Plots
Legacy of Blood
The Eye of the McGraths

Mrjunkie

• Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 05:45:03 AM »
I'm still of the opinion that the silver'd, steel crafted goods are the finest out there.
If a caster can put a bit of a shine on it, your good to go.
But for those not wanting a caster, yes it is frustrating as you wont want to be shining up your blade with a rag every five minutes.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 08:59:04 AM »
You don't know too much about game mechanics then! :P

Mrjunkie

• Dark Lord
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 10:02:26 AM »
You don't know too much about game mechanics then! :P

:cry: Yes, im a noob.

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 08:56:13 AM »
Noobs ftw im like a upper class nub :D

Wids

• We don't need no stinkin' avatars!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2009, 09:55:14 AM »
Who promoted you to Upper Class, noob?  :P

You know what else is lacking in enhanced and magical variants?  Morningstars and flails.  Shall I get to work on the .erf files for a few, or will my efforts not be taken seriously?  :?

bloodandsoil

• Undead Slayer
    • TWAJ
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2009, 12:47:24 PM »
Who promoted you to Upper Class, noob?  :P

You know what else is lacking in enhanced and magical variants?  Morningstars and flails.  Shall I get to work on the .erf files for a few, or will my efforts not be taken seriously?  :?

Might consider throwing in a couple monk gloves or other monk-related gear...... :twisted:

HELL TAKES THE HINDMOST

Lockleed

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 01:40:33 PM »
There are startling few greataxes out there.  You can find several excellent greatswords, considering the setting, but not so many greataxes that I've seen.  Pretty much just the ones that KenPen mentioned. 

You -can-, however, do a lot to make a run-of-the-mill steel greataxe more impressive.  The recent addition of alchemy has broadened the availability of alchemists fire, and various other nifty yet damaging adhesives for your weapons.  Alchemists fire alone provides a +1d6 fire bonus.  I heard mention of acid varnishes (the logic of that is flawed, but hey, who cares in a fantasy setting) that could also give you another stacking damage type.  Holy water can provide a +1 vs. undead, albeit temporary, to any weapon.  And there are always the enchanted polishing rags, those add a temporary +1 enhancement bonus to about anything.  Or enchanted whetstones, which give temporary keen.

Of course, the downfall is you are shelling out a lot of money for these temporary benefits.  And you can't squeeze more than a +1 attack or enhancement bonus out, which means there are lots of foes out there which will shrug off your blows and laugh at you.  But you can do a lot to turn a non-magical steel greataxe into a destructive weapon, still yet.

All that aside, greataxes, and a few other weapons, could do with a look at.  I don't even know of a magical mace in the game (not that I know everything), and you can't tell me a mace isn't one of the most basic weapons around.

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2009, 01:33:36 AM »

I've seen you make suggestions for weapons in the Item Request thread, though I don't know if they'll import the .erf directly. Just try and keep the cost well under 8000 gold though to actually have a chance of it spawning, since the cost determines its likeliness of popping as loot. A couple of your items, like the Castlevania whip was pretty powerful and may not have been implemented because of it. http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=5772.0

Several of my ideas have been implemented: Mordenheim's Spear, Undead Impaler, Pigsticker, and the Lich's Legbone Club, though I'm still looking around to see if my Magistrate's Gavel was ever done. I just recently submitted ideas for mauls, picks, and other uncommon items. I could submit more items for other rare weapons, but some like kukri will always be hard to find considering its rarity even as a martial weapon.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2009, 01:46:00 AM »
Magistrates hammer was a light mace, right? 5% chance of silence or something like that? If so, I've seen it.

If not, I have no idea what the name of the weapon w/ those qualities is, but it's dropped. ;)

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2009, 01:48:43 AM »
It was a light hammer, and yeah, sounds like it. Why am I not surprised that you'd know if something drops? :lol:

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2009, 02:23:22 AM »
That I know of: there is a magical heavy mace, it's called Fist of the Fallen. I have never heard of a magic light mace. There are at least two magical morningstars, one magical light flail and two magical heavy flails.

As a player who started with 1st edition, yes, I am one of those people who thought all the anti-undead weapons were maces lol! Give us that

As far as kukris go... Ethinos has a point. Kukris, kamas, scythes(*cries*) all exotic weapons should have limited variety as magical weapons whereas common/simple weapons great variety.

I have a feeling that this thread is more about the mere existence of enchanted greataxes. It is about their actual usefullness and the usefullness of all magical weapons in general. The executioners axe looks and sounds cool but I don't think any character would ever use BEYOND the coolness factor. I used to be fighting with a broken sword for the 'rp' of it.

PS Kenpen knows everything about items. He's our items expert! But give me a while and I'll catch up! He had a head start hahahaa
Has been described as a sometimey player

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2009, 03:25:05 AM »
It was a light hammer, and yeah, sounds like it. Why am I not surprised that you'd know if something drops? :lol:

It was the only finessable mace I've seen here. It was kinda neat.

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2009, 03:26:41 AM »
I made a bunch of greataxes, bastard swords, and maces. I just never got around to giving them interesting backgrounds. After I move this weekend, I'll put some stories on them and post them to the item request thread.

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2009, 04:11:44 AM »
I made the light hammer since I never saw one and had an interesting reasoning for it. If anyone has any kind of requests for certain types of weapons, armor, or whatever, I can spend a few hours sometime and make some things up. Granted, not everything will be +1 gear but I'll make them interesting enough to add flavor and options to the game.