Author Topic: Total unbalanced trap.  (Read 3658 times)

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
Total unbalanced trap.
« on: March 05, 2009, 02:49:21 PM »
Sullen woods, cave. Easy task. Almost 07 elite hobgoblin... twice the number in hobgoblins. 4 witchmaster. 4 shamans. IN THE WHOLE CAVE.

Every chest was trapped. Usual damage 10.

Last chest: 89 damage.

A little unbalanced, ain't it?

Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

DM Nocturne

• Sanguis Noctis
  • Dark Power
  • Vampires don't do dishes
Re: Total unbalanced trap.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 04:28:34 PM »
Yeah.

Wids

• We don't need no stinkin' avatars!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 09:55:51 PM »
Hobgoblin Witchmaster:  "Boss!  Boss!  I just found this awesome trap that's guaranteed to whoop the hell out of anyone who opens whatever chest we rig it up with...."

Hobgoblin Chieftain:  "That's great.  Plant it inside the very last chest.  The one where we keep all the good stuff."

Hobgoblin Witchmaster:  "But Boss, shouldn't we reverse engineer this trap so we can figure out how to replicate it and apply it to every treasure chest in the place?"

Hobgoblin Chieftain:  "Not at all.  If you do that, they'll be expecting it when they go to open the last chest, and they'll be a lot more cautious.  They might not even open that last chest at all.  So every other chest before the big chest will have the usual five-and-dime traps.  Then, when the heroes get to the last chest, they'll be thinking 'Oh, every other chest in here had a cheap trap on it because these podunk hobgoblins can't rig up a decent trap to save their mothers' souls, and this trap's no different.'  Then, POW!  They'll stick their faces right in it, and our trap will blast those faces right off."

Hobgoblin Witchmaster:  "Whoa.  That's pretty sadistic.  Good thinking, Boss!"

Hobgoblin Chieftain:  "I know."
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 09:57:37 PM by Wids »

failed.bard

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 09:59:18 PM »
You see your recovery check rolls?  Did this just get changed, I haven't seen any since Soren changed the death system roughly a year ago?

Wids

• We don't need no stinkin' avatars!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 10:00:47 PM »
I don't know which is worse: the (usually) very high DC or the fact that it randomly changes and makes no sense.  :P

Eledaar

• Undead Master
  • Who?
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 10:54:25 PM »
Off topic, but what adds to your recovery roll?  Con bonus, fort save?
-Ashan Nottiams, Mad Bastard
-Cosmin Slabu, Garda
-Grom, Rat-Eating Scumbag

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 11:37:12 PM »
Con modifier, but the DC changes so drastically per roll that con has a minimal impact...

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 03:27:54 AM »
I don't know which is worse: the (usually) very high DC or the fact that it randomly changes and makes no sense.  :P

It's an opposed roll which makes perfect sense :P

No idea what's on with the traps though. They seem to have their life of their on. I'll look at it.

failed.bard

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 03:52:09 AM »
How come some people see the roll being made, and some people don't, though?

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 09:09:05 AM »
Since I did my recover check, it was only funny. If I had died, I'd be very pissed of.

But regarding the Death Check, yes, I think it is pretty unfair mostly because you simply turn the feats who give a bonus to saving throws (luck of heroes, for instance) pretty useless.

I burned a feat in the first level (one of the most importants) thinking about it. And now it's changed.

Also you should think that your character at first level has the same chance to survive at level 20, what also is useless.

AND there's no point in making rolls that are simply impossible to pass. DC: 25? Come on! Who has a CON of 20 here?

Chrisman888

• The Man Of The Hour
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 11:01:29 AM »
Funny thing is.. it did so much damage but the DC of the reflex save is only 15, lol.

Normally powerful traps = Powerful DC's.

~ Chris
Current Characters:
- Horatiu Milosovici (Barovian)
- Garbhan Macduff (Forlon)

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 11:47:39 AM »
Hobgoblin Witchmaster:  "Boss!  Boss!  I just found this awesome trap that's guaranteed to whoop the hell out of anyone who opens whatever chest we rig it up with...."

Hobgoblin Chieftain:  "That's great.  Plant it inside the very last chest.  The one where we keep all the good stuff."

Hobgoblin Witchmaster:  "But Boss, shouldn't we reverse engineer this trap so we can figure out how to replicate it and apply it to every treasure chest in the place?"

Hobgoblin Chieftain:  "Not at all.  If you do that, they'll be expecting it when they go to open the last chest, and they'll be a lot more cautious.  They might not even open that last chest at all.  So every other chest before the big chest will have the usual five-and-dime traps.  Then, when the heroes get to the last chest, they'll be thinking 'Oh, every other chest in here had a cheap trap on it because these podunk hobgoblins can't rig up a decent trap to save their mothers' souls, and this trap's no different.'  Then, POW!  They'll stick their faces right in it, and our trap will blast those faces right off."

Hobgoblin Witchmaster:  "Whoa.  That's pretty sadistic.  Good thinking, Boss!"

Hobgoblin Chieftain:  "I know."

Oh... and y the way... the llot was crappy.

Tarth

• Dark Lord
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 06:22:05 PM »
Since I did my recover check, it was only funny. If I had died, I'd be very pissed of.

But regarding the Death Check, yes, I think it is pretty unfair mostly because you simply turn the feats who give a bonus to saving throws (luck of heroes, for instance) pretty useless.

I burned a feat in the first level (one of the most importants) thinking about it. And now it's changed.

Also you should think that your character at first level has the same chance to survive at level 20, what also is useless.

AND there's no point in making rolls that are simply impossible to pass. DC: 25? Come on! Who has a CON of 20 here?

Tarth..Negnar hrm...wouldn't surprised me if a few buffed people had over 20 aswell, maybe huntsekker?

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 07:10:47 PM »

Tarth..Negnar hrm...wouldn't surprised me if a few buffed people had over 20 aswell, maybe huntsekker?

I've had recovery DC's of 30 before, lol.

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 07:15:07 PM »

It's an opposed roll which makes perfect sense :P

No idea what's on with the traps though. They seem to have their life of their on. I'll look at it.

Gilos's traps are pretty weird too, wicked high search to find them, then some crappy little holy trap for semi decent gear

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

Mrjunkie

• Dark Lord
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 07:40:20 AM »
The trap in the Sullen woods has always been high, its caught me out a fair few times.

Off topic: Is it me or have all the fiends in ravenloft given up on using traps to protect their covend goods? Most dungeons no longer have traps on their chests.

Jana

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 01:39:58 AM »
My 2 cents:

Traps are annoying and not useful at the least. A point of a trap is to surprize and protentually harm or kill a pc.

How they work on Ravenloft is much pretty much worthless. Everyone knows what is trapped and what is not and how strong. Because of this traps NEVER kill.... in the rare case it does kill its a low level character that didn't know that died of a 'final blow' of a monster already dead. Who doesn't heal up after a fight though?

My Solution: Make traps of GREATLY variating damages and on what chests they appear on... If a low level gets hit by an epic trap well they die and are raised by their friend and know to be more careful to concider their DC using skills.

Simply put... sometimes the weak creatures can find good traps... sometimes the strongest of monsters find weak traps.... but why not use it to protect their hoard?
Jana - Red Vardo Leathercrafter
Jacho - Lich Wannabe
Fiona - Copper Smith
Janie - MIA

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 10:39:42 AM »
dont suppose there's some way to randomize what is trapped and not like say one day some chest is trapped the next its not or whatever?

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2009, 02:32:11 PM »
I finally understood that taps aren't random: I opened the same chest at full spawn and got the same ass kicking trap.