You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Dementlieu Feedback  (Read 176486 times)

Metal_ash

• Dark Lord
Re: Dementlieu Feedback
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2009, 05:56:40 PM »
Took my first little stroll today through Port A Lucine, nice touch to it and some places was outright awesome to see.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2009, 03:23:21 PM »
i have one problem with it.

wheres the horror in it all?

seems strange a  horror setting and a whole time without a sight of fright
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2009, 03:52:53 PM »

Dementilieu's horror is of a different kind than Barovia, but just as gothic. Each domain in Ravenloft has a different type of horror theme to keep each place unique.

Spoiler: show
In Dementlieu, there are forces at work that can control peoples' minds. You never know if who you're talking to is in control of themselves or is a puppet for something sinister.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2009, 03:53:31 PM »
I find the 'horror' there far more subtle; it's not the fright of sudden attacks by beasts that rend but more along the lines to me of such musings as 'why is that statue so lifelike' or 'what's down in that orchestra pit playing the music, is it just a concept of showmanship or something more sinister'.  The sort of things which might unfold slowly, like a detective story, with subtle layers and twists.  More psychological horror than the biological shock of sudden fright or fighting for your life, you might be 'fighting for your sanity' instead.

Vast separation of wealth and status, despair of poverty, a city of lights and manicured gardens crowned by ruins purposefully left in disrepair.  I'd say the potential for very engaging, ongoing horror there is limitless but it's to me a very different sort of horror than what one might see in Barovia.  More like Jack the Ripper, Doctor Jeckell and Mister Hyde, Herbert West Reanimator, Pickman's Model or Sherlock Holmes type stories but that was just my personal impression after spending weeks there wandering around.

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
  • The Hellrabbits are watching you.
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2009, 04:55:46 PM »
Vast separation of wealth and status, despair of poverty, a city of lights and manicured gardens crowned by ruins purposefully left in disrepair.  I'd say the potential for very engaging, ongoing horror there is limitless but it's to me a very different sort of horror than what one might see in Barovia.  More like Jack the Ripper, Doctor Jeckell and Mister Hyde, Herbert West Reanimator, Pickman's Model or Sherlock Holmes type stories but that was just my personal impression after spending weeks there wandering around.
Dementlieu is the home to a Jack the Ripper homage and a Sherlock Holmes homage. I believe the Sherlock Holmes one is actually in Port-a-Lucine, too, though I could me mistaken. I know the Jack the Ripper one is elsewhere. I don't think he strays from his city much, though again I could be mistaken.

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2009, 06:32:35 PM »
Vast separation of wealth and status, despair of poverty, a city of lights and manicured gardens crowned by ruins purposefully left in disrepair.  I'd say the potential for very engaging, ongoing horror there is limitless but it's to me a very different sort of horror than what one might see in Barovia.  More like Jack the Ripper, Doctor Jeckell and Mister Hyde, Herbert West Reanimator, Pickman's Model or Sherlock Holmes type stories but that was just my personal impression after spending weeks there wandering around.
Dementlieu is the home to a Jack the Ripper homage and a Sherlock Holmes homage. I believe the Sherlock Holmes one is actually in Port-a-Lucine, too, though I could me mistaken. I know the Jack the Ripper one is elsewhere. I don't think he strays from his city much, though again I could be mistaken.
Hmm, I don't think either of Ravenloft's two "Jack the Ripper" takes is in Dementlieu, but you're spot on about the Sherlock Holmes homage.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2009, 07:12:43 PM »

Dementilieu's horror is of a different kind than Barovia, but just as gothic. Each domain in Ravenloft has a different type of horror theme to keep each place unique.

In Dementlieu, there are forces at work that can control peoples' minds. You never know if who you're talking to is in control of themselves or is a puppet for something sinister.

that is as someone as said very subtle and i like it but it would be nice to let ppl see atleast te tip of the iceberg sorta say
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Insomnia

• Undead Master
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2009, 07:12:59 PM »
Jack the ripper is Bloody Jack or somesuch in Paridon.

Dashru

• Undead Master
  • Ghoulie
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2009, 08:56:53 PM »
I find the 'horror' there far more subtle; it's not the fright of sudden attacks by beasts that rend but more along the lines to me of such musings as 'why is that statue so lifelike' or 'what's down in that orchestra pit playing the music, is it just a concept of showmanship or something more sinister'.  The sort of things which might unfold slowly, like a detective story, with subtle layers and twists.  More psychological horror than the biological shock of sudden fright or fighting for your life, you might be 'fighting for your sanity' instead.

Bolded for the fact that Lovecraftian stories outweigh the other non-sense.  Hence why I believe more Lovecraftian lore should be implemented into Ravenloft! Hur hur hur!
"...I was griefing a social server the other day, and noticed that they had some very explicit emotes that forced two characters to perform a very 'cooperative' emote. Naturally i spammed it on player corpses..." -- Papa Zarus

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2009, 11:08:13 PM »
The one I was thinking of is in Invidia.

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

The Howling Stars

• Undead Master
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2009, 11:51:03 PM »

Its the Midnight Slasher.
NCE 2014-15: Achilles Roan, Paladin of Torm.
NCE 2016: Roland Voss, Warden of Ezra

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2009, 02:49:05 AM »
I find the 'horror' there far more subtle; it's not the fright of sudden attacks by beasts that rend but more along the lines to me of such musings as 'why is that statue so lifelike' or 'what's down in that orchestra pit playing the music, is it just a concept of showmanship or something more sinister'.  The sort of things which might unfold slowly, like a detective story, with subtle layers and twists.  More psychological horror than the biological shock of sudden fright or fighting for your life, you might be 'fighting for your sanity' instead.

Vast separation of wealth and status, despair of poverty, a city of lights and manicured gardens crowned by ruins purposefully left in disrepair.  I'd say the potential for very engaging, ongoing horror there is limitless but it's to me a very different sort of horror than what one might see in Barovia.  More like Jack the Ripper, Doctor Jeckell and Mister Hyde, Herbert West Reanimator, Pickman's Model or Sherlock Holmes type stories but that was just my personal impression after spending weeks there wandering around.

Bolded for the fact that Lovecraftian stories outweigh the other non-sense.  Hence why I believe more Lovecraftian lore should be implemented into Ravenloft! Hur hur hur!
Lovecraft's horror doesn't mix with the gothic atmosphere of Ravenloft. In fact, Lovecraft's "cosmic horror" is the exact opposite of gothic horror; gothic horror is very much tied up in morality, whereas in cosmic horror there is no morality. Although, there is one place in Ravenloft that sort of plays up the cosmic horror angle with a twist for the morality of gothicism, but it's not Dementlieu. One of these days I'll finish that domain up and add it properly to the module.  :twisted:

failed.bard

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2009, 03:03:03 AM »
Carnival?  It's hinted at in the wax museum.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2009, 03:49:26 AM »
Carnival?  It's hinted at in the wax museum.
nope! Think more tentacles and brain-eating....

failed.bard

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2009, 04:07:52 AM »
Ah.  I've had characters go their twice, I had assumed it was staying purely as a DM area.  How much is left on it?

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2009, 08:17:38 AM »

Its the Midnight Slasher.
Yuh huh. i was going to leave it as vague as possible.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2009, 01:52:18 PM »
Ah.  I've had characters go their twice, I had assumed it was staying purely as a DM area.  How much is left on it?
quite a bit, it's slow-going because the module it's based on, Thoughts of Darkness has the worst maps ever.

but let's not derail the thread anymore, this should be about feedback for Dementlieu, not my development-hell project ;)

Dashru

• Undead Master
  • Ghoulie
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2009, 07:32:18 PM »
Do make a thread about your developmental project, as it really interests me and I'm sure others would agree. 
"...I was griefing a social server the other day, and noticed that they had some very explicit emotes that forced two characters to perform a very 'cooperative' emote. Naturally i spammed it on player corpses..." -- Papa Zarus

Heru-Duath

• New to the Mists
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2009, 11:59:59 PM »
was checking out the city today and there were some sailors that where crowded out the Mutinied Sailor during the day, lol you cant get in the door.

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2009, 02:05:52 PM »
I'm wondering if the conversation on the artist in the bazzar will fixed ?
I was lead to belive he sells dyes

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2009, 02:53:20 AM »
I have played now in Dementlieu almost exclusively for a week now, and I continue to be impressed with the design of the place. It really captures the horror themes of the domain. A lonely walk through the museum conjures feelings of murder mysteries set in museums in fiction. The atmospheric descriptions in places like Alanik Ray's domicile really give you the proper smells,sounds, etc. to allow your imagination to set the proper mood. The dirty and cramped alleys of the slums really contrast with the ordered and manicured streets in the heart of the city really well. It all is really well done. I love the place, and just wish it was completely self sufficient and occasional trips back to Barovia were not required. The plot possibilities are endless. And a new kind of horror can be played.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2009, 01:03:20 PM »
walking around on Heretic's server with the Boothappy main server as a Ghost, I noticed there are no Mistways at all

this isnt normally a big deal, but incase someone did die, get killed and ghosted, and eventually decided to respawn, they would not have that option....
might be worth considering to have atleast one of these misty places, in each domain

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2009, 01:07:20 PM »
walking around on Heretic's server with the Boothappy main server as a Ghost, I noticed there are no Mistways at all

this isnt normally a big deal, but incase someone did die, get killed and ghosted, and eventually decided to respawn, they would not have that option....
might be worth considering to have atleast one of these misty places, in each domain

Good catch.

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2009, 06:02:01 PM »
In the Tanner shop in Dementlieu there are two little things still not working properly. First one is that the guy doesn't sell wax which is necessary to make boiling activity: it can be something done on purpose, might be not, just pointint it out. Second is that the guy doesn't recognize the curing knife as a tool but as a weapon and reacts badly when speaking to him (which doesn't happen with other NPCs in leather crafting places).
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2009, 02:08:18 AM »
In the Tanner shop in Dementlieu there are two little things still not working properly. First one is that the guy doesn't sell wax which is necessary to make boiling activity: it can be something done on purpose, might be not, just pointint it out. Second is that the guy doesn't recognize the curing knife as a tool but as a weapon and reacts badly when speaking to him (which doesn't happen with other NPCs in leather crafting places).

In my next update, the shop will sell wax. As for the knife thing, nothing to be done about that. Other similar merchants don't have a weapon detection script.