You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Negative damage in Purple dungeon.  (Read 3911 times)

mayvind

Negative damage in Purple dungeon.
« on: March 16, 2009, 01:54:51 PM »

If it possible to have these area damage heal undead ?

It is negative energy shouldnt it heal undead?

Mrjunkie

• Dark Lord
Re: Negative damage in Purple dungeon.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 02:00:02 PM »
Seconded, i'd expect as much of the area, a safe haven for undead pc's.

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 05:51:21 PM »
Why?  There's no "positive" areas that heal the living just as a matter of course.  What safe haven is there for any living pc?  Other than some faction areas, the ML's not being one of them, what place is safe for a pc?

Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 05:54:40 PM »
Calor its not so much that its meant to be a safe area, but rather that Negative energy [Inflict spells, Harm, etc] are supposed to heal the undead.
Besides any undead stupid enough to hide out in one area just because it offers a minor heal, deserves the amount of beating they will get from the horde of dogooders that will come to smack them down

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 06:37:32 PM »
Calor its not so much that its meant to be a safe area, but rather that Negative energy [Inflict spells, Harm, etc] are supposed to heal the undead.
Besides any undead stupid enough to hide out in one area just because it offers a minor heal, deserves the amount of beating they will get from the horde of dogooders that will come to smack them down

I see your point.   :mrgreen:
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 09:07:06 PM »
Yeah if Yves died in there I would have expected her to get back up anyway.

Wids

• We don't need no stinkin' avatars!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 02:24:38 PM »
Yeah if Yves died in there I would have expected her to get back up anyway.
You know, Mayvind, one of these days you're going to turn off the Norwegian death metal and try playing a relatively normal, mortal, non-monstrous, non-murderous, non-Evil character who would have no trouble at all sitting down and getting sociable with the usual gang at the Lady's Rest.

And then I will promptly log off, turn off the computer, go out to the workshop behind our house, fire up the welding tools and start making all the homemade body armor and modified weapons I'll need to survive the swiftly approaching Apocalypse.  :lol:

But seriously, back to the matter at hand here, what happens if an undead PC tries getting a Heal from Lizuca or one of the other priests?  Because I'm thinking that, if the undead PCs can't go to a temple for a quick patch-up when they're Near Death, the purple dungeon might be their only resort.  Perhaps the devs might even consider adding a clandestine evil temple staffed with a death priest or a true necromancer, who would basically work as an inverse Lizuca, using negative energy to heal and restore the undead.

Just a thought there.  :?

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 02:30:16 PM »
wids, dear, that already exists. Okaris' temple :)
Has been described as a sometimey player

Wids

• Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 02:33:03 PM »
wids, dear, that already exists. Okaris' temple :)
Hmm.  I can't say I've happened across Okaris' temple yet.  Assuming that its location isn't a secret, where would I find it?  :?

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 02:52:12 PM »
Don't feel bad Wids, I didn't get a memo about Okaris' temple either!

I've always wondered why the negative energy in purple had no effect, I think the message I get is 'immune to negative energy' but negative energy from spells will heal.  Perhaps it was seen as potentially exploitable?

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

Wids

• Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 09:58:00 PM »
Don't feel bad Wids, I didn't get a memo about Okaris' temple either!
Yeah, I bet Moustie made it up himself.  I bet we'd go somewhere and run right into Okaris' Rage, setting up a trap for us.  It won't work, Moustie!  :P

Delphinidae

• Phasing in and out of PoTM
  • Dark Power
  • My poor wererats get no love.
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 11:47:18 PM »
Okay, back on topic.

Ongoing Plots
Legacy of Blood
The Eye of the McGraths

fulkren

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 12:22:07 PM »
wow i alway thought it healed Undead. ya that would make sence if it healed undead PC's. also would make sence if it healed the summon from the animate dead spell.

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 05:25:17 PM »
I don't think it's gonna happen. It would completely ruin the dungeons balance and make it the # place for exp as an undead.

mayvind

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 05:53:00 PM »
I don't think it's gonna happen. It would completely ruin the dungeons balance and make it the # place for exp as an undead.

Care to explaine what balance is ruin in that dungeon making negative damage heal undead instead of 0 damage, 0 damage...? ( undead have very difficult time to regain health back)
If it is because they can heal and farm XP there?... purple dungeon is not XP dungeon i level 2 to 20 and never visit that place.

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 05:55:00 PM »
There aren't that many undead PCs around and most of them wouldn't get much XP from that place. Only decent XP there happens at swordwraith spawn, and I don't think that happens too often anymore (sadly). Perhaps some additions would rebalance it for the undead who'd want to farm the place... say, some high level mummy priests with control undead, maximized searing lights, etc. Nothing like getting hit for 80 points of damage at a pop to make an undead ffear.

Madnobody

• Undead Master
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 05:55:12 PM »
The main problem with that is that the exp and loot usually suck there. It's a midlevel dungeon if it's anything. My character is cr lvl 18,and for the last five levels or so the purple dungeons only been a place to go to rp or pass the time when bored. Sure the heals might be nice, but ultimately negligible in terms of other rewards.

Madnobody

• Undead Master
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 05:56:25 PM »
Oh,Kenpen,you COULD farm it...you'd just get some moldy old onions and maybe a carrot...metaphorically speaking,of course.

DM Nocturne

• Sanguis Noctis
  • Dark Power
  • Vampires don't do dishes
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 05:59:43 PM »

Care to explaine what balance is ruin in that dungeon making negative damage heal undead instead of 0 damage, 0 damage...? ( undead have very difficult time to regain health back)
If it is because they can heal and farm XP there?... purple dungeon is not XP dungeon i level 2 to 20 and never visit that place.

Besides. Undead PCs wouldn't have many friends to help them adventure and gain xp, nor would they be able to use standard healing methods the rest of us use.

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 06:00:55 PM »
It used to be worth about 10K a run there at a mid spawn. I haven't gone there but maybe once in the last 2 months while there were actually some swordwraiths. But, yeah, you're right. Mostly the place is a low-level dungeon. Only good for gold.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 07:22:00 PM »
It used to be worth about 10K a run there at a mid spawn.

It still is, actually.  It's prettymuch the only place I can go to that guarantees a decent return.

fulkren

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2009, 01:22:51 AM »
i dont think you could really farm the place for EXP. and there are only so many spots in the dungeon with that purple fog. what i think it would do is draw more undead PC attention to the dungeon. i dont know. Crypts/Undead kinda go together right? yes they would have an advantage from the healing effect of the Negative Energy. but i think they should get an advantage if your going to trespass on their turf. i for one would think it would install much needed fear in a dungeon that is overly used/farmed.

undead in crypts

calibans in sewers.

anything that gets them in their native habitats has got my vote :thumbup: :)  :thumbup: 

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2009, 01:57:56 AM »
Would be nice if they could have a place to hang out and prey on the living who come there... ;)

boompowclash

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2009, 02:01:20 AM »
Currently, undead are only immune to the damage, they don't recover from being subject to it.