Author Topic: Hunter, The Wayward.  (Read 13457 times)

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
Hunter, The Wayward.
« on: March 10, 2009, 06:00:20 AM »
Sitting at his desk in a private room within the Broken Bell Inn, Alexander quickly writes in a hard back, leather-bound journal.

"It has been nearly a year since I last heard from Ilia or Strahd.  The stone the count seeks is now safely tucked away into one of the many corner's of this land.  I've spent countless hours reading over the count's journal.  With it, I've discovered several things about him.  I know about Tatyana and Sergei.  I know about the wedding and the Ba'al Verzi.  I know about his curse and I know about the Sun Sword.  What I don't know is how to use this information.  At first I though, perhaps I would attempt to steal the blade from the count's possession, but such is impossible.  Thanks to the actions of a theif many years ago, Strahd now keeps the blade at his side at all times.  Stealing it is not an option.  Furthermore, what would I do if it had come into my possession?  Would I use it to kill the count?  Nonsense, I doubt the blade could even kill him.  What would I do if it did infact work?  Would I take over Castle Ravenloft?  No, I have hardly the ambition or the drive to rule over this broken land.  Too much headache for me to handle."

Alex pauses for a moment as the light of his candle dies away.  He softly blows on the wick and smiles as the flame comes to life once more.

"Immortality is something that has been on my mind much as of late.  I've come close to death too many times.  Far too often have I felt the cold kiss of the near ethreal and it is not something I wish to embrace as my fate.  After my past meetings with Strahd, I have thought of the possibiility of giving into the temptation of vampirism.  The thought of life everlasting and boundless power plagues my dreams.  Alas, a life without sunlight would be a life not worth living.  There is of course the stone that I have come to possess.  If I could bargain with Strahd, then perhaps I could trade the stone to him in exchange for immortality such as he posesses.  The next step would then be retrieving and returning his coveted journal to him in exchange for a taste of the power that the stone has to offer - for a taste of immortality without the restrictions of eternal twillight.  If only this were possible.  Perhaps some day, but for now I must focus on gaining as much physical and mental power as this mortal body will allow for.  This task in itself is one that will consume most of my life.  Not until it is finished could I even fathom approaching the Count with the stolen stone or his stolen journal.  The reprocussions, should he figure out the truth would be devastating to me."

He stands for a moment and stretches.  Looking to his right, Alex gazes at a book wrapped in a black leather cloth sitting on the bed.  His hand rises to his chin as he ponders his options with the nearby treasure.  Shaking his head, he turns back to his journal.

"For now, I must put my other ponderings on hold for there is much work to be done.  Recently I met a beautiful woman by the name of Olivia Greycastle.  At first glance her alure and charm seemed to be as a spell on me.  I later understood that this was partially because she is a professional dancer at the Prancing Nymph, which would explain the attraction.  Im not sure why, but I shared valued information to her and her companion about the castle.  In retrospect, this may have been a mistake but for the moment no harm has come.  She informed me of an open investigation concerning a string of murders in the Prancing Nymph.  Olivia as it were, is the only surviving witness of these murders.  I questioned her further about it, but until I speak with the guard in charge of the investigation Olivia appears to frightened to give me any information.  According to rumor, she is one of the prime suspects, but I can not say for certain.  Not without evidence anyway and speculation wont get me anywhere so I had best avoid it in these memoires.  Until I can speak with Draguta of the Vallaki guard on this matter, the only way I will learn anything is by tailing miss Olivia and her companion.  Perhaps they will inadvertantly answer some of my queries concerning this investigation.  I can only hope."

Alexander stops writing and closes his book.  He stands and retrieves his sword and belt from the wall where it was perched and straps it to his hip.  Next he grabs his hat and jacket and makes way for the Outskirts, where he last saw Olivia.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 01:15:31 AM by Hades »
"Alexander the Destroyer"

"In a closed society where everyone is guilty, the greatest crime is getting caught. In a world full of thieves, the greatest sin is stupidity" ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
Re: The Words of A Witch Hunter
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 07:27:35 AM »
Sitting again in his private study, Alexander opens his journal and begins writing in it.

"Olivia was not in the outskirts.  Her companion however was present.  He seemed worried about something and was pacing back and fourth.  Before I could speak with him however, I was approached by one of the newest witch-hunters in these lands.  Anna, I believe is her name.  She came here with her partner Kasper and immediately after meeting, I gave them some work.  They handled my investigation on the Falkavonian Werner, which was later closed for reasons that I care not to elaborate on as I lost out on the prospect of future employment from a specific source.  Anna had approached me to inquire about the status of said investigation and was pleased to learn that I had used her information to close out the affair.  I see potential in both her and Kasper.  In time and with proper training they could both become noteworthy hunters, but for now I shall have to keep close watch on them, lest they get in over their heads.  After speaking with her, I noticed that Olivia's companion had quickly run off to the west toward the Von Zeklos keep.  He was sweating profusely and I could only guess at the cause of his concern, so with Anna in tow, I followed him.  Neither he nor Olivia have any skill in combat that I have seen, so if either are in trouble I shall have to pull them out of it."

He stops writing to accurately recount what came next.  After a few moments he nods to himself and resumes.

"Ana and I had lost sight of Olivia's companion, but still we pressed on.  It was likely they were both in trouble.  I hadn't been given a moment to think however, for before my very eyes Olivia and her friend appeared before me, running for their lives.  "Witch!" they both shouted in unison.  That was the one word Anna and I needed to here.  Immediately I prepared the proper tools and made myself vanish from sight.  Anna quickly interrogated them while I scouted the road ahead.  I found not a trace of the witch.  Upon returning to the three of them, I learned that Olivia was assulted by a creature that she could only describe as "looking not alive."  She claimed that it spoke to her and that it "wanted" and "needed" her.  Given its ability to use spells and carry conversation, I ruled out the possibility of it being a mere ghoul, ghast or zombie.  My next thought was of a blood sucking vampire but that was not possible given that night would not fall for another two hours.    This left me to believe that her attacker must have been a Wight.  She said he called himself "The Recorder."

He turns the page in his journal and lights another candle.  Alexander then turns his head sideways to work out a few kinks before resuming his writing.

"I've dealt with Wights before on several occasions.  They are known to be the daylight guardians of the vampires in the coven on mount Baratak, but never have those ones been able to properly use the arcane arts.  The name he used, "The Recorder" sounded very familier to me.  I've heard this name before, though I at the time I could not peice it together.  On the roadside where he struck however, I could not stop to think about it, for my first concern was the safety of the civilians in my care.  I decided that with darkness soon to be covering the land and given our proximity to any shelter, that we should set up camp off the road side.  This may or may not have been a mistake, but at the very least it provided me with some answers.  We settled in and I questioned both Olivia and her companion once more about their attacker.  They could not give me much information to go on other than what has already been said.  He was undead in appearance, wearing black tattered robes.  One of his ears looked to be torn off.  I pondered this, trying to recal my last encounter with a wight capable of sorcery.  I was however interrupted by the sudden appearance of a heavily enchanted imp.  The creature was hidden using invisibility, but I easly saw past it.  The others did not.  Immediately I approached the Imp and began questioning it.  I could only assume that it was the pet of the wight responsible for the attack and speaking with the imp only confirmed this.  It seemed suprised that I had deduced as much about it's master in so short a time, but this was not suprising.  Imps aren't known for their intelligence or their wisdom.  Looking to my own imp, Xoraxis, I can see this much to be true."

He pauses again to reguard the imp hovering over his shoulder.  For a few minutes he watches the imp fly around the room before growing irritated with it.  With a wave of his hand, the imp vanishes into thin air; leaving behind only a puff of smoke where it had once been.

"The imp's name I could not deterimine, nor could I determine anything about it's master that I had not already figured out.  The imp explained that it's master was interested in Olivia for conducting certain experiments, which the creature did not care to elaborate on.  After futilly prying it for information, I ultimately learned nothing.  None the less, the name... "The Recorder" played over and over in my mind.  I knew I had heard it before.  Later, after returning to the Lady's Rest with Anna and the others, I had met with a man by the name of Bernard.  It was obvious to me that this man was a spell caster by the way he carried himself, but since he offered useful information and he had no price on his head that I knew of, I decided not to investigate him.  After a long conversation with him, I learned that he too has had prior encounters with this "Recorder"  Apparently the two of them are children of the same game, though on opposite ends of the spectrum.  Both experiment in the study of the human brain for whatever reasons they hold.  Still the name stuck with me, for I knew I had heard it before.  How foolish I felt when Bernard explained that the true name of the recorder was Jeffron!  Damn it all!  How could I have been so blind?"

Alex stands and clenches his fist in anger, summoning to his side once more, Xoraxis.  As the imp appears, Alex quickly vents his frusteration on the creature by punching it in the head.  As the imp coiled back in fear, Alex blasted it with a cone of cold and unsommoned it again.  His anger satisfied, he resumes his memoire.

"Jeffron!  I should have known from the start.  I should have recognised that blasted imp.  Back when I first began my hunts of villianous spellcasters I was hired by two Barovian nobles to capture or kill the wight known as Jeffron.  I first encountered him in the Caliban Den known as the "Drain."  Were it not for the rookie who was with me, blowing my cover, I would have had the creature then and there.  Alas instead I was face down in the gutter bleeding all over myself while picking up the peices of the rookie that the creature had blasted to hell and back.  I was saved that day by the most beautiful creature I had ever seen: An elven woman named Nara'ia Goldflame.  Now that I am prepared to finish this, Bernard has assured me that together and with the help of one of his companions, we could finish where I started so many summers ago.  This time Jeffron, I shall not let you live to experiment on any more innocent people.  Let alone key whitnesses is my investigations!  This time, you will be mine little wight.  This time I will succeed where I failed once before.  This time it ends."
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 08:35:16 PM by Hades »

"In a closed society where everyone is guilty, the greatest crime is getting caught. In a world full of thieves, the greatest sin is stupidity" ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 05:56:13 PM »
"Love is a concept that is foreign to a man in my line of work.  With my travels and the contracts that I have recieved over the years, I never found the time for it, or a need for it.  I've had attractions and affairs, but never would I consider the possibility of settling down with someone.  Belonging to someone.  Lately however, my dreams have shifted.  When once I would dream of the horrors I have witnessed and the atrocities I have done, I now dream of something else.  I see myself on a ship sailing.  It looks like the same ship that I took over the Tser falls and like back then, I am at its helm.  Im not alone however on this galley.  No, there is always another on the ship with me.  An elven woman, beautiful and wondorous at the same time.  Perched on her back sit a set of bat-like wings, the like's of which I had never seen.  We are together and peaceful, without a care in the world. These dreams seem to have taken over my subconcious and I find myself often thinking about them."

Alexander stops writing and reaches for the bottle of brandy on the desk, beside him.  He holds it in his hand, looking at it intently and takes a sip.  After whiping his mouth on the back of his hand, he dips his quill into the ink bottle and resumes.

"They started in the village of Barovia, when I was doing a job for the Bergomaster.  While awaiting my meeting with one of the whitnesses key to the investigation, I noticed her.  The blonde elven women that rescued me from the gutter on my initial hunt for Jeffron, though she did not at this time have wings.  She approached me and addressed me as Mister Alexander.  That smile of hers.  It is like that of a Siren's spell.  Like myself, she had come to Barovia to assist in the investigation.  This was one of the first times I had seen her in public and yet in spite of here heratige and the disgruntled glares and insults from the locals, she simply shrugged it off and in full confidence went about her work.  Since then, I've worked with her on many jobs and we have been together for many adventures.  Twice now she has saved me from the clutches of death when all hope seemed lost.  I've noticed that she seems to always be around, watching over me and caring for me.  I've come to trust her not only with my life, but even with my darkest secrets.  Aside from Unuldor, she is the only living soul to see the book that I posess.  She has seen my best moments and some of my worst, yet she does not judge me.  I've come to care about her more than I though possible.  I cant shake the feeling that I love her, as foreign a concept as it may be to me..."

« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 08:39:50 PM by Hades »

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 06:20:38 PM »
"I had to leave Barovia for a few months to work a case in Falkavonia.  When I returned, I noticed a change in Nara'ia.  Something dreadful had happened while I was away.  It seems she was sent to the asylum, though why I could not know.  When she returned, I noticed two small humps on her back.  After questioning her, she revealed that they were bat-like wings.  Such as she has in my recent dreams.  She cant remember much of what had happened to her, but now thanks to a woman named Rose, she has this obsurd belief that undead do not exist.  I've done what I can to prove that they do to her, short of dragging her into the crypts under the temple.   I did not recoil from her wings, nor did I judge her for what had happened to her.  Instead I found my feelings for her grew.  Alas, to my despair she is involved with a nother man.  Kane Dillisk.  If she is happy with him, then I can not interfear.  Such would not be my place.  None the less I have continued my friendship with her as if our seperation had not happened."

He stops writing and closes his eyes taking a deep breath to steady himself.

"When I informed Nara'ia about my hunt for Jeffron, her expression more than supprised me.  She seemed confused and kept repeating the name 'VIRGIL' over and over.  It took some time for her to be able to explain to me that she once had a friend named Virgil and that she had been having terrible dreams about him.  We discussed this for the better part of the night until she started to remember something.  She was able to vaguely recal the last time she saw Virgil.  She said he had changed into a monstrosity and that she was frightened of him.  We spoke more on this before she revealed that her dreams were of being tortured by him, having her tongue ripped out and her hands bound and gagged.  Virgil was the one responsible for the terrible things that had happened to Nara'ia while I was away.  Then she referred to him by a name that hit me like a Grey Render:  "The Recorder!"
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 08:41:10 PM by Hades »

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 03:33:22 AM »
Sitting in Degannwy, Alexander writes in his note book.  On occasion he pauses to check on Nara'ia, who is resting a few feet from where he is sitting.  With each glance to her, his heart sinks more and more.

"Today I witnessed first hand the meaning of the word Hell.  My day started as any other.  I joined my companion Pieter at the Lady's Resting Place and he and I set out to find some leads on Jeffron.  We decided to begin our search to the north away from civilization.  About half way to Constantines Lodge I was stricken with a feeling of dread.  Some fowl evil was manifesting this evening, though I could only guess as to what its source was.  Shortly after this wave of despair, Pieter and I passed Nara'ia on the road.  It would appear that my alluring elven love interest was gathering more lumber for her crafts.  How I envy her determination.  After exchanging pleasent words with eachother, I informed her of the dark presense that I was feeling.  I asked that she get to safety and Nara'ia, stubburn as always assured me that she would be fine.  What a fool I was for believing her.  None the less Pieter and I had to continue our investigation.  After all, I am persuing Jeffron in part for Nara'ia.  To bring him to justice for what he had done to her."

Seeing Nara'ia groan and pull her blankets tighter, Alexander puts down his journal to tend to her.  Worry and concern is in his eyes as he looks longinly at her.  Once she settles again, he turns to his book.

"Our investigation led us to the den of Vampires on Mt Baratak.  We made it through the first half of their lair with minimal difficulty.  Near the suberranean tower we encounterd Wallace Sinclair and Hob.  As well as these two were the corpses of three individuals.  It would seem they had a bad run in with vampires while trying to navigate through the tunnels beneath the mountain.  With our business taking precidence, Pieter and I left the corpse detail to Wallace and Hob and continued on our way.  Once we had reached the half way point beneath the mountain, we encountered a face I had not seen since my last visit to Castle Ravenloft.  It was good to see Fabius again, for his divine spells were of great assistance against the undead beneath Baratak.  With the exit not far from our location we decided to pause and rest, that we may recover our spells.  We never accomplished this simple task however.  While preparing our supplies we were hit by a spell of no small power.  Evaards Black Tentacles I believe it is called.  To my dismay, the spell brought Pieter to his knees instantly and forced Fabius to back away.  It could not bypass my natural spell resistance, so I moved cautiously to the source of the spell.  Using the last of my own resources, I cast a spell to allow me to see those hidden under Invisibility.  I was horrified when I realised who it was that stood before me.  Yves!  Barovia's number one most wanted witch, right in front of me!  It was my chance to bring her down once and for all, so naturally I took steps to engage her.  Something she said as I was charging her, halted my steps and froze me in place.  She informed me that the remains of Nara'ia Goldflame were nearby and that she would show me if I survived the journey.  I did not know what to think, but the look in Yves' eyes told me that she was telling the truth.  As much as I wanted to split that heinous witch in two, I could not dismiss the fact that somewhere in this gods-forsaken place was my beloved Nara'ia, injured or even dead.  I had no choice but to follow Yves.  Certain that Fabius was safe, I told him to take Pieter to the surface and not to wait for me."

He stops again to check on Nara'ia.  A deep pain in his chest forces him to his knees as another wave of dispair washes over him.  Alex counters it by downing the contents of the silver flask in the folds of his coat and continues with his writing.

"Yves lead me beneath the coven, to a tunnel filled with pure negative energy.  Each step burned my lungs and my flesh, but determined to get to Nara'ia, I pressed on.  Yves knew the pain in my body and with a single glance in my eyes, she determined the pain in my heart as well.  When at last we reached the end of the tunnel, she pointed to the center of the room.  There within the confines of some altar laid the broken body of Nara'ia.  I never felt pain such as what I felt when I laid my eyes apon her.  I wanted nothing more than to turn and kill Yves, but in my currnent condition it would prove an exorcise in futility.  I entered the room, fully expecting it to be a trap and sure enough it was.  Shadows and other forms of undead beasts began to appear out of no where, forcing me to fight my way to the center.  I knew I was going to be overwealmed, but every defiant ounce of my life force urged me on.  At last I reached the circle that Nara'ia was laying in.  I stepped inside of it and was immediately forced to my knees.  My limbs refused to respond to the commands sent from my conciousness.  I felt an immense burning sensation followed by a terrible cold as the dark creatures tore through my armor and into my back.  I could do nothing.  I was powerless to stop them.  All the while Yves stood by, watching with a content look of pleasure.  With the last reserve of energy in my body I made a single leap to Nara'ia.  My hands reached her body and pulled her tight to me.  The moment I did so, I was leapt apon by the creatures that Yves had summoned.  Using my body as a shield, I prevented any further injury from reaching Nara'ias prone form, but this would be my last act.  I -felt- my heart stop beating and as desperately as I wanted to save Nara'ia, I could not.  I was powerless and in the blink of an eye, my world turned to darkness..."

He closes his eyes to recount what follows.  With a deep breath to steady his hand and his mind, he continues writing his memoire.

"I dont know how much time had passed since I closed my eyes, but when they opened once more, I was laying on my back on a grassy plain.  Standing over me was the Falkavonian, Werner.  To my left laid Nara'ia, in the same state that she was in when I had last seen her.  My body ached in every concievable location and I felt as if my life force had been sapped from me and yet, I drew a deep breath in my lungs, followed by another.  I was alive!  As it were, Werner and a companion of his found us in that chamber.  How ironic that a man I was once hired to hunt and kill would be the same man to grip me tight and pull me from perdition.  Never once had I refused a contract before meeting Werner.  Before, if you would have asked me if I believed in fate, I would have said no.  Now though, im not so sure.  The one contract I refused turned out to be the only reason that I sit here now writing.  I do not remember anything of what transpired when I blacked out, nor do I know what happened to Yves.  The last thing I heard her say was the words 'Sacrifice' and 'Blood God' though I dont know anything further.  I soon after parted ways with Werner and made for the Morning Lord Temple to speak with Lizuca.  Hopefully she can save Nara'ia."

« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 04:03:47 AM by Hades »

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 05:18:40 AM »
"I took Nara'ia to the temple.  Lizuca was able to restore her life force, but it was not Nara'ia who returned.  Im unsure still of what has transpired, but while Nara'ia appears to be the same on the inside - she is showing traits of a monster on the outside.  Her eyes have taken a purple glow and her face is covered with disturbing tattoo's.  When she awoke, she was in my arms but I could immediately see the agony in her eyes. She let out a scream of agony that made my skin boil and my blood run cold.  Hope and Calor of the church attempted to use healing spells on her, but they had the opposite effect.  Rather than healing her body, they seemed to injure it.  I sat with her, trying to calm her until she managed to fall asleep.   It was also noted that Unholy Magic as well does not work.  This leads me to believe that she is trapped between Life and Undeath.  It is a thin line between the two and some how Yves has secured her tightly to it.   I can not help but blame myself for what has happened to her.  If only I were stronger... If only I had embraced immortality like I planned then perhaps I could have prevented her from being tortured once more.  This is the second time that I have noted a member  of the brood has accosted her.  There will not be a third.  On my life there will not be a third.  Neither Lizuca nor any other members of the church has ever seen a curse of this nature before.   Perhaps Madame Keja of the Vistani will know more.  She has aided me many times in the past.  I can only hope she is willing to see me.  Likely she is still sour about the horses and vistani that were killed durring my campaign against the mind flayers a few months back.  Hopefully she can forgive me long enough to provide me with some information that will lead to a cure. "

Alexander halts his writing and immediately makes his way to the Vistani camp.  With Nara'ia safely in Calor's care, he steps out of the temple.

"I have met with Madame Keeja.  She was willing to see me and thankfully did not mention the horses or soldiers from before.  I was ashamed meeting her in the state that I am in, but in spite of the physical damage to my body, my mission is clear.  Truthefuly I was expecting more information from Keja, but I had to settle for another card reading.  Im unsure of what to make of the cards drawn however. The first of them was the Wretch.  A card that told of failure and defeat.  I assume this represents my fall in the Unholy Ground beneath the Coven of the Damned.  The second card was that of despair.  It depicted a young woman, hollow and lifeless.  I can only assume it represented Nara'ia.  The next two cards however, distress me.  The Ghost card and the Skeletal Rider when coupled together are a union of perilous meening.  Keja explained that they represent my past and future.  They told of my death at the hands of an enemy from my past.  This didnt give me much to go on, for the list of my enemies grows every day.  By the way Keja explained it however, I could only guess that she was speaking of Strahd.  Though I have done work for him in the past, should he ever find out about my betrayel, he would be the one enemy that I could not defeat.  I shall have to use caution.  Furthermore, Keja informed me that I can do nothing to save Nara'ia until I confront my past.  I will have to either prove her wrong or go before the count once more.  Neither of which will be easy, but I owe this much to Nara'ia.  If it means giving my life to save hers, then it is a fate I must accept.  What little honor I have binds me to the promise I made to her.  The promise to keep her safe and protect her no matter what the cost.  I've a feeling this time, the cost might be too great.  Meanwhile, Nara'ia has been relocated to Degannwy where she will be in better care and will have more privacy.   Before I make any decisions that could get me killed, I should make contact with Jeffron.  Interesting how my investigations are all merging together as one.  I will capture him and torture him until I learn what I need.  If that does not work, then I shall have to take a more direct approach and contact Yves myself.  She may be a blood thirsty wight but everyone has their price.  If Jeffon proves useless then perhaps I can bargain with her some how.  Either way, I will do what it takes to preserve Nara'ia.  I owe her that much at least."

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 01:08:51 PM »
"Today while following a lead that Jeffron may be hiding in the Drain, I decided to delve once more into the fowl sewers beneath Vallaki.  How I loathe the smell of those tunnels.  None the less, sacrifices to my personal comfort must be made if I am to obtain that which I seek.  I did however notice two anomalies.  The first of which was of more concern than the second.  Typically the rat population within each sewer district is roughly the same.  Rats, Dire Rats and on occasion Were rats.  Today I found that there was not a single rat or dire rat amongst the population.  I did a complete sweep of the tunnels and found that there was nothing but were rats.  On two occasions during this search, I was forced to fight off as many as twenty were rats at a time.  It was difficult, but I finished with minimal injuries.  It would appear that something has stirred their population, for never before have I seen this many.  More so, as I stated previously there was not a single rat in the sewers that was not a Were.  Not a single one!  Interesting, I say."

"The second anomaly that I noticed concerned my wallet more than my health.  Hidden within one of my many bags of holding was a large surplus of Fangs or Gold depending on where your from.  I had on my person, within said bag a total of eight thousand, five hundred coins.  After killing off a large group of Were's, I decided to stop and meditate so that I might recover my spells.  After my meditation was complete, I noticed that my bag had reduced greatly in weight.  Upon closer examination, I realized that as much as five thousand coins had suddenly vanished without a trace.  I am certain that no one robbed me as doing so would have no doubt caused me to come out of meditation.  I can not say for sure, but perhaps this was the work of a crafty witch.  Perhaps Jeffron?  No, I highly doubt it.  Whatever the reason, I am now short more than seventy-five percent of my capital and this is far from acceptable.  Both anomalies aside, Jeffron was not to be found, nor was anyone else.  I shall have to continue my search elsewhere though it would appear that for now, I shall have to look into recovering the missing coin.  What a waste of my time and resources.  How annoying."
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 01:18:36 PM by Hades »

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 01:46:34 PM »
"I am concerned for my companion Unuldor.  It has been over a month since I last heard from him and even longer since I've seen him.  This is unlike him and I fear he may be in trouble, but I can not know for certain.  I've known the young elf since his first night in Barovia.  I met him in the crypts below the Morninglord temple, trying to fight off some skeletal warriors.  I could at once see a latent magical presence residing within this young man.  After assisting him with his undead encounter, we spent some time talking.  I informed him of who I was and what I did and his reaction was surprising to say the least.  Most spell casters recoil from me when they learn my title, yet Unuldor did not.  No, instead he asked if he could join me.  In spite of his meager skill with spells and his lack of skill with a blade, I saw something inside of him that reminded me of my father.  Who was I to refuse such a request?  I decided to take him with me after that moment and since he has become a valuable asset.  I will admit though, that at first his presence was of annoyance.  I was not used to working with a partner let alone one that I also had to train.  As the days went by however, I came to change that opinion.  He and I have been through many perils together and we have brought down many an enemy.  Furthermore, I have seen how he looks up to me.  I cant help but feel that there is nothing he wouldn't do for me if I asked.  I could not see myself taking advantage of this though, for after all of the time we have spent together, I have come to think of him as a son.  Ironically enough, he is likely older than I am but none the less I was with him since his first battle and if chance permits, I shall be with him through his last as well.  From his first night until our last encounter I have noticed a great improvement in his capabilities.  Where before he was clumsy and carefree, he is now careful and meticulous.  Another thing to note is that while his swordsman ship does not compare to mine, his ability to use magic has long since surpassed me.  Perhaps it is because he is a pure blood elf and I am a mixed?  I'm not certain but either we he has become a very dear friend to me and a very good partner to have at my side.  I am thankful to have met him and I am disheartened at the thought that he may be in danger.  I don't think I would forgive myself if something ever happened to him and surely I would make whomever was responsible pay with their heads.  I simply hope he returns soon before my worry escalates.  Its bad enough that Nara'ia is in trouble, but Unuldor too?  Who's next I wonder."

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 03:13:53 PM »
"I entered the Western Outskirts tonight to find three priests as well as that Barbarian, Kayne fully prepared for battle.  The priests were covered in more protections than I could count and seemed ever on guard.  I know of only one person who could cause such trouble - Yves.  As it were, my guess was correct.  I was slightly injured from a scrape I got in with a lycan an hour before, so I decided to go inside the temple and see if Lizuca could mend my wounds.  Fighting Yves in my condition and without my spells would have been suicide, but thankfully she was long gone already.  What I found when I entered the temple however, caused my stomach to turn and twist in a knot.  Lizuca lay dead, surrounded in a pool of her own blood.  Her body was mangled, broken and crushed as if a large stone had fallen on her.  Furthermore, Horatio and the other temple guards where no where in sight.  There was however, a large crowd gathered inside.  I followed some bloody footprints leading out the east door of the temple, but the trail ran cold no more than a hundred feet from the door.  Finding no further leads, I returned inside."

"When I returned inside, Father Ilie had already been summoned from the temple in the Slums.  He as well as a circle of priests from various faiths put their spells together to heal Lizuca's broken body and eventually return her soul to it.  Meanwhile, I was approached by Rowan who wished to discuss the curse on my beloved Nara'ia.  She informed me that her and Nara'ia had traveled to the mage tower to speak with Corvin.  At first I was angered that Nara'ia was traveling in her condition, but when Rowan revealed to me the information they learned, my anger subsided.  According to the archmage, the curse that has befallen Nara'ia appears to be an accelerated version of the Shade curse.  I've seen such a curse only in the mines beneath the dwarven citidel.  If we are able to find information on a cure to the shade curse, then we will be one step closer to saving Nara'ia before its too late.  Also, Rowan informed me that Nara'ia's husband, Kane seemingly does not care for her condition.  Apparently, he is too busy planning other things to take care of his wife, who at the moment is at risk of becoming a shade.  That pathetic bastard doesn't deserve her.  If I ever get the chance, I believe I may have to kill him.  I think I could live with that."
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 03:36:33 PM by Hades »

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 08:57:04 PM »
"This evening, I bumped into Wallace Sinclair and the Barbarian Kayne in the outskirts near the temple.  Both of them informed me that a night before, they had witnessed as many as seven witches in a circle within City Limits. They were described as "The Lawgivers." Each appeared to be arguing with another and all were casting spells.  An unseen one was going through them one by one turning their skin to stone.  After they verbally argued they each apparently just walked away.  Later they were seen standing around the outskirts as if nothing happened.  I wonder what those Banites are planning? Wallace then told me of his being attacked by two more witches in the outskirts the following morning.  He could only describe one of them as a female wearing a red robe.  Neither could give further description because of the "Bright Lights."  It appears the Outskirts are becoming a hot spot for witch activity.  I shall have to keep a close eye on them."

"Wallace and I spent the night laying in wait for something to happen.  He patrolled the road in the outskirts while I remained near him under the guise of invisibility.  We met Morrighan durring this stakeout and she offered to assist us.  We had no luck though and the night ended without incident."

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 03:35:27 AM »
"I was approached by Jeffron's Imp today.  The Wight refused a meeting, but he made it clear that he wanted me to know that he is watching me.  Given the proximity this meeting had to the Drain, I once more set out for it.  I had with me four other capable blades to watch my back.  We did not find Jeffron there, but we did find an unhappy group of Caliban bosses and underbosses.  After careful negotiations I convinced them to assist me in locating my target.  Once this was finished, I met with Calor and Nara'ia to discuss our best course of action concerning her curse.  We've a few leads but nothing concrete.  Her and I also discussed Kane.  To my regret, she still loves him.  I might have to kill him after all.  I'm not certain yet.  I find myself being uncertain of many things as of late.  I am not used to such irrational thoughts.  I fear I am losing grip."

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 02:27:00 AM »
"I encountered two travelers today while I was out looking for information on the curse.  I'm not sure what came over me, but I felt nothing but hostility towards them.  Other than a few minor insults, they really did nothing wrong and yet... All I could feel was anger and rage.  It took much willpower not to strike both of them dead.  I'm not sure why I keep having these thoughts.  I know I've done some terrible things but I never really though of myself as a murderer.  Why then, did I feel so strongly that I should kill them?  I'm not sure where all of this is coming from.  Perhaps stress from the situation with Nara'ia?  Perhaps it was stress from Unuldor's absence?  Again, I do not know.  More on this later."

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 04:50:47 PM »
"I've done something terrible today.  I ... murdered someone.  I was with Nara'ia and her student, Abby.  We were preparing to set out in search of information on Nara'ia's curse, when a guard from Vallaki began chasing her.  He mistook her for a monster and attempted to kill her.  I couldn't let that happen so I intervened.  There was no one else present that I could tell so I put my steel to the guard while Nara'ia escaped.  He was a young lad and his training with a sword as minimal at best.  Still, I took his life.  I was so filled with anger that it blocked out all rationality.  Worse still it frightened Nara'ia.  What is happening to me?  Is it I who is becoming the monster?  I don't know.  Its a dark path I am treading and no matter how hard I look, I can not see the light..."

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 03:20:29 AM »
"Nara'ia and I went to visit Codrin and Liviu at the mage tower today.  We discussed the curse of the Shades.  Liviu has determined that Shades will be very hard to learn about and that her curse is likely the result of an odd metaphysical phenomenon.  He suggested we attempt to learn more about the nature of her curse and about Mt Baratak.  Unfortunately there was little else they could tell us that we could use.  Nara'ia has decided to return to Degannwy for now, whilst I meet with Archelaus to investigate potential cures for her in other corners of the world."
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 10:39:52 AM by Hades »

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
Blood Thirst: Part One
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 01:01:57 AM »
"An interesting turn of events have led Archelaus and myself to Haslan.  After he and I returned from our journey beneath the dwarven citidel to the lair of Walter, I was encountered by a beggar who claimed to know my father.  He then went on to tell that he knew of the location of a map leading to hidden treasures.  A likely story but I decided to humor him.  For five fangs he took me to the bookstore where in fact I did find such a map.  Hugh, the owner of the bookstore in the residential district was willing to give it to us in exchange for a share of whatever we find.  Sounds agreeable.  The map turned out to be more of a clue than a map.  It was a text written in ancient dwarven.  Our luck was with us though as a dwarf named Ragnar was present.  He offered his help in exchange for a cut of the treasure.  Reluctantly Arch and I agreed.  The transcript said that the next clue was located in Haslan.  We decided to travel there by cutting through Mount Ghakis.  The trip was dangerous but we made it with minimal incident.  I did however suffer a two hundred foot fall into the freezing cold lake, but I survived and we pressed on.  We did however notice that an elven man in dark clothes and a black hood seemed to be following us.  We will have to find out who he is and what he wants."

"Once in Haslan the three of us were confronted by a pack of guards as well as a noble.  We decided to ask him if he had any information that could help us and offered to pay him.  His counter offer was both a blessing and a curse.  He demanded that we give him the dwarf as a slave in exchange for information that would lead to the next clue.  After much consideration, Archelaus and I accepted his offer and gave him Ragnar.  One less share to divide in the end.  The noble never gave us his name, but he did offer us with plenty of useful information.  The artifact we seek has many names.  Among them are: "Blood Thirst," "The Crave," and "Blood Lust."  Apparently it is highly powerful but also cursed.  The noble informed us that our next clue was to be found in the forests south of here, within a pillar marked with this symbol."

"Traveling through the forest, we stumbled across a creature I had only seen once before.  A sphinx.  It told us that the pillar we seek is within a cave to the south.  It offered passage to us in exchange for correctly answering it's riddle."

I sizzle like bacon,
I come from an egg,
I have much backbone,
But I lack a good leg,
I peel layers like an onion,
But still remain whole,
I can be long like a flagpole,
Yet fit in a hole.

What am I?

We deduced the answer to be that of a SNAKE.  It was correct and so we passed.  The cave was not to far ahead and we found it with minimal difficulty.  I remembered seeing it once before back in the campaign for the dwarven citidel.  It was as if we were on the Edge of Madness.  Within the cave we found our pillar, but it was far from easy.  Without the dwarf, we were minus an extra sword arm.  Not long after entering, we noticed many lifelike statues and a putrid stench.  Soon after, we discovered what made the statues:  A pack of Basillisks! Archelaus and I faught viciously, but in the end one of them managed to turn him to stone.  With luck, I recovered two scrolls of "Stone to Flesh" that reversed the process.  The pillar as well as some interesting journal entries were located at the back of their den.  The inscription on the pillar was rather informative..."

The mighty blade can just those find, who pass the Black Spire and see what's behind...

"Our next stop is in the Black Spire.  Last time I was there I had to assist in the annihilation of a Mind Flayer colony and the god they followed.  Hopefully this trip will be less...deadly.  Also, concerning the journal we found.  Apparently a man by the name of Julio found an artifact called, Hazilek's Lense.  It is an amulet that allows the wearer complete invisibility, seemingly beyond its counter spells.  It appears to have been cursed and Julio is now dead.  Perhaps this will be worth seeking later. There is one last thing to complete this entry.  With Nara'ias curse not improving and the words of Madame Keja telling of impending doom by the hands of my past, I have decided to abandon the count's journal.  Its best I keep it as far away from me as possible until all of this has settled.  I buried it somewhere deep in the heart of Barovia where no one will ever find it.  I will retrieve it at a later time, if chance permits."
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 08:22:23 PM by Hades »

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 02:33:25 AM »
"I confronted our stalker this evening.  His name is Lyrithean Dana.  As it turned out, he too searches for an artifact in Hazlan.  The artifact he seeks is the lens that was mentioned in the journal that I found.  He had some rather troubling information concerning me however.  In exchange for the dossier he gave me the information that he had.  Most troubling it was to learn.  Apparently Calor has sold me out.  I should have never told him about the Journal to begin with.  He spoke with Hope, of the Militia looking for council.  Instead she made a report to the guarda and now Dragomir is looking for me "Dead or Alive."  This could prove to be problematic.  I will have to assess the situation and act accordingly, pleading innocence.   At least I was wise in stashing the journal away.  I will deal with Calor and Hope in time, but for now I should take special care not to let this happen again.  Carelessness will be my downfall."

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 02:23:42 PM »
"Where do I begin?  I was resting from a long journey when I was ambushed by Jeffron.  After all of my hunting, he finds me when im sleeping?  Is this really how that ends?  I was taken to the drain, because the bosses want to see me.  They left me in a rather poor situation.  After beating me and robbing me of a very valuable pair of boots, they released me with certain stipulations.  First, I must call off my hunt for Jeffron.  Second, I must pay them ten thousand gold for my boots and for the trouble with Jeffron.  I do not like this, but its either I play along for now or I die here and fail to help Nara'ia, which is the ultimate goal.  For now Jeffron, you are free but in time, I will get my revenge.  Caught while I was sleeping... rediculous.  Moving on I bumped into a member of the guarda who wished to arrest me.  After speaking with Draguta, I agreed to turn myself in willingly and currently I am preparing to go to the citadel to do just that.  The book is stashed somewhere safe and they have no evidence against me.  I will clear this up and explain it as a misunderstanding.  Hopefully this works.  If it doesnt I may be going to the gallows.  How the hell did everything fall apart so damn quick?  More later, if I am still breathing."

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
Incarceration
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2009, 07:37:46 PM »

"I've lost count of the days since my incarceration.  The guards have provided me with paper and a quill so that I might write out my final words.  The room I am sitting in is dark and cold.  There are no windows and the air is very stale and smells of death.  My only company has been a pile of skeletal bones and my thoughts.  They have jailed me for theft of the count's journal and though I tried to get out of it, my life is now in the hands of the Count himself.  To what end?  I do not know.  Likely this is the end of my story, but I can only hope that by some miracle, I will be saved.  Miracles don't happen in these lands, so I can only assume that this is the end.  There is so much that I am leaving undone.  If only I could see Nara'ia one last time.  I wrote a letter to her, saying goodbye.  It is hardly enough though.   I was supposed to be there for her!  Damn it, I was supposed to be the one to save her from her curse!  How could this have happened? The guards have been interrogating me frequently and while they have not done much torture, they did remove my right ear.  I would be upset about it, but since my head is likely the next thing to remove, the argument would be moot.  This is all the working of that damn elf Calor and that bloody hin, Hope!  How I wish I could break out of here and find them both!  I would rip them apart for doing this to me!  I would ravish their bodies and bask in the glory of their lifeblood for what they have done!  Because of their betrayal, I can not be there for Nara'ia or Unuldor.  Because of them!  If only I could change that.  Alas, I fear I will never have the chance.  Is this really going to be the end of my story?  Are these really going to be the final words of a witch hunter?  Only time will tell.  I'm sorry Nara'ia.  Im sorry Unuldor.  I have let you both down."
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 03:27:56 PM by Hades »

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
The Return
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2009, 06:29:20 PM »

Returning after so long to his room in the Broken Bell Inn, Alexander quickly makes his way to the dresser on the far wall.  With minimal effort, he pushes the dresser aside and slides a mat from over the floor-boards.  With a moment of hesitation, he looks around the room carefully, then lifts the boards from the floor.  He reaches down, where they had been and pulls a hard-bound leather book from the hole.  The book is wrapped in a very dusty cloth, which he eagerly removes.  A smile finds its way to his lips as he once more opens his journal and walks to the desk near his bed.  He reaches for a nearby candle and rubs the wick with his thumb and index finger.  A moment later, a flame sparks in the candle.  He then reaches for his ink and quill, as he begins to write in his journal.

"It has been so long since I have been able to write.  Since the page I wrote while I was incarcerated (which I shall now attack to this book), much has happened.  There was a jail break not long before my release.  Two dwarves had broken out of their cells and opened the door to mine.  They needed my arcane help to break their third dwarven companion out of his cell and to escape the compound.  After being locked up for so long, I must admit, the thought of breaking out had come to me many times.  Each time it came however, I rebuked it, knowing that if I were to break out, all chances I had to clearing my name and being completely free would be gone.  I decided that there was only one thing I could do.  I agreed to their request and helped them enter the main room where the guards were posted.  They began to fight, and rather well, while I watched under an invisibility spell.  Before long, they began to overtake the guards, nearly killing one of them.  It was my turn to step in.  I cast a hold person spell on the first dwarf as he was about to lay the killing blow to a guard.  At once, he was motionless and overtaken by another soldier.  I then cast an offensive spell known as Issacs Missile Storm at the second dwarf.  It did not kill him but it made him decide to attempt a retreat.  As he fled, another of my spells hit him, slowing him down in a great way.  I followed it with an acidic arrow spell that brought the dwarf down.  Retreiving his corpse, I presented myself to the guarda present.  They thanked me for saving them and even allowed me a few moments to see daylight.  I then walked back to my cell and shut the door myself.  I thought surely this act would help influence them toward believing my protests for innocence.  I was right.  Several of the guards become much more lenient with me.  I was even relocated to a more comfortable cell."

Alexander stops writing, and retrieves the folded parchment from his pocket.  Looking at the tattered missing page of his journal, he begins to chant an arcane phrase.  Soon after, the parchment unwrinkles and straightens.  The tears and stains disappear and the parchment returns to the state it was written in.  He holds it in place, a page slot before the one he was just writing in and begins casting a similar arcane phrase.  Instantly, the parchment joins with the book as if it was where it had always been.  

"While in my new cell, I awoke to find the most pleasing though surprising sight.  Ilia Sadow, the woman that I told the guards had stolen the journal, was entering my cell block.  In tow were two guards, one of whom I recognized from my travels long ago.  They had found her!  I watched from the shadows of my cell, as they interrogated her.  This woman.  This friend whom I had betrayed and sold out, was standing across the hall, in a cell of her own.  While they were interrogating her about the theft of the counts journal, she noticed me.  She looked right at me and as our eyes met, she knew I had betrayed her.  I believe this is the moment where I lost much of my sanity.  Betrayal is not something I am unfamiliar with, but this time... This time I had portrayed a true friend as the villain that I am, to save my own life.  She knew this, yet still she confessed to stealing the book.  Never once did she take her eyes off me as she confessed to the crime.  She willingly stepped into my role.  They relocated her to a cell in the high security block.  It was the last I saw of her.  By my guess, she was executed or tortured.  The fate I was to serve out.  A month later, I was released and had my effects returned to me.  I was free from the law, but not from myself."

He turns and rises from the desk and moves to the window.  The sun is setting in Barovia and he watches as the golden sky turns pink, then violet and finally black.  He folds his arms behind his back and paces back and fourth through the room as he recounts that day in the prison, with a discontent frown.  Feeling a familiar itch beneath his skin, Alexander draws his silver flask from the inner pocket of his jacket.  He takes a long pull to numb the itch and returns to his desk.

"Since being released, I have finally been reunited with Nara'ia.  Nara'ia was back to her normal self!  While I was locked away, she managed to find her cure.  Words cant describe how pleased I was to hear and see this.  Alas, I could only speak with her briefly for Archelous showed up.  She did however mention that her husband is out of the picture, before Archelous drug me away to get me back to work.  He reminded me of the treasure that waited for us.   I had nearly forgotten!  Archelous and I still had unfinished business outside of Barovia.  Before we could return to that task however, I needed the dust taken off my blade and the blood flowing once more in my sword arm.  We set out to the north.  I shall have to speak more with Nara'ia when next I see her.   Archelous and I had little trouble patroling the roads and mountain passes.  It felt good to be at work again and training once more.  We parted ways after our successful return from Baratak so that I could get some proper rest in a real bed.  It would be the first time in longer than I can remember that I would have these commodities.  After sleep I shall return to my training, that Archelous and I might finish our quest."
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 03:27:40 PM by Hades »

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2009, 07:02:20 PM »
"I have finally met with Unuldor.  It would seem he has found employment with the Zeklos.  He's been doing well in my absence and as I am to hear it, he even has a child.   We met each other in the bowels of the Balinok Mountains.  He informed me of his employment and asked that I join him at the Keep.  After much deliberation, I agreed.  After all, he still needs someone to watch his back.  What we found when we arrived however, was destruction.  In the night, the Keep had been attacked by vampires and was all but destroyed.  I met with Lady Zeklos and informed her that I would assist with the rebuilding of her keep as well as the regrouping of her soldiers.  With Unuldor beside me, we gathered the farmers to begin rebuilding the gate and I interrogated the survivors for information about the attackers.  What I learned was very disheartening.  Those who wished the keep destroyed are not those with whom Unuldor or myself should be allied against.  We will leave the Keep and its problems behind.  Sorry Lady Zeklos, but I didn't sign on to fight -that- battle.  It was a decision I easily came to.  I believe Unuldor feels the same.  Furthermore, I believe he played a greater roll in the Keeps destruction than even he realizes.  I'll have to find out for sure.  I need to find out his true connection with Madeline.  I've heard rumors from everywhere but his own lips.  I'll speak with him on that issue later, but for now I am just pleased to see that he is alive and well.  It is good to be reunited with friends of old."
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 07:10:40 PM by Hades »

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2009, 03:22:51 AM »
Unuldor it appears, is gone.  I've not heard from him in many weeks.  Nor have I seen Nara'ia in some time.  The only person from my past who I do still see on occasion is Archelaous.  Since returning to Barovia from my travels, I have met two new traveling companions.  Both of them young spell casters in need of proper guidance.  Back to work, as they say.

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
Identity
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2009, 01:22:39 AM »
"Who am I?  What is my purpose? These are questions I find myself asking over and again.  There was a time when I knew well who I was and what I was here to do.  I was a man out for revenge.  A man who wanted to see all spell casters and "witches" either burn at the stake or go to the gallows.  I wanted to make them pay for what they did to my family - for what they did to me.  It's not that simple any more however.  No, these days I find myself working more and more with other spell casters of Barovia on various tasks.  First there was Archelous, my long time friend and traveling companion.  My first true friend since my days in the guard with Pieter and since my days as a mercenary with Sol and Jet.  Archelous showed me that not all spell casters and witches are deserving of my wrath and hatred.  Then there was Unuldor and Nara'ia.  Both of them were and still are very close to me, though I have not had the pleasure of seeing either of them in a long time and I doubt I'll ever see either of them again.  Unuldor, it appears has been stricken down and now rests somewhere unknown to me.  I wish I had been there to help him - perhaps he would still be alive.  It saddens me greatly to hear of his untimely demise.  Nara'ia on the other hand, may yet still be alive.  I've not heard any news of her location or status, but nor have I heard any word of her death.  She's a strong girl and I am sure if she fell - I would know it.

After being gone so long and returning, I am finding all the old faces of my past are long gone.  Pieter, Sol, Archelous, Unuldor, Nara'ia, Jet, Zakar'ath, Ilia and Sebastian.  All of them are either dead or missing.  What then am I to do now?  I find myself no longer with reason to hunt down spell casters or magic users.  After all - I am one of them and though I wish it were not so - I can not change what I am.  That having been said, it makes me wonder if my time has been wisely spent.  I was a Witch Hunter and a damn good one, but was it worth it?  I need a direction.  A goal.  A purpose.   I need something more.  Something new.  I've been waging a personal war with the Vampires of Mount Baratak and Elketh the Lich.  I've had my victories and I've had my defeats but again for what purpose?  No matter how many times I clear the Coven of the Damned - they just keep repopulating.  No matter how many times I face off with Elketh - he keeps coming back.  With no idea where his phylactery is and no idea who's leading the vampires - I have nothing to put them down for good.  Why then do I bother?  To protect people?  Hardly.  To protect myself?  No.  To save Barovia?  Not a chance.  Why then?

Perhaps the answer is simply for power.  Everything I've done in my life - even the actions in the name of good were in the end a result of my lust for power.  Why did I really hunt spell casters?  Because I wanted to be the only one - the most powerful of them.  Why did I betray the count and steal his stone and journal?  Because I wanted his power.  Why do I spend so much time fighting against the vampires and Elketh?  Because my jealousy demands that I prove to them who is superior.  It demands that I hold any power they might possess.  Does this mean my goal is to become an undead abomination like them?  I am not so sure.  Have I ever selflessly helped someone without secretly wanting something in exchange?  Without secretly filling my own hidden agenda?  No, I do not believe I have.  What them am I?  Who then am I?  I am no hero, yet I do not believe I am a Villain.   What does that make me, then?"

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
The Witch Hunter
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2009, 02:31:23 AM »
"I've spoken with a member of the guard today and learned that Vallaki has once more been blighted by malevolent spell users.  I sought to retire as a Witch Hunter after finding myself in league with so many spell casters.  It appears however that there is no one to take up the torch.  Its up to me to put an end to these spell casters who choose to use their magic against Vallaki and Barovia.  Why?  The payment and rewards of course.  Unfortunately with Unuldor six feet under and Archelous MIA, I am without a partner.  I'll need to find a replacement, though I don't like the prospect.  It would seem there is much work for me to do.  No matter how I try to distance myself from hunting Witches - I always come back to it.  The Witch Hunter is back in business and business is good."

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
The Lich has Fallen
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2009, 03:13:29 PM »
"My war with Elketh has begun taking a turn for the better.  My most recent trip to his tower was a success in every meaning of the word.  A new blade in my arsenal, forged with the power of lighting was exactly the tool needed to decimate the worm's forces.  With me was a young dark elf, my companion Delia and another woman who claimed to know Delia.  We fought our way through the base of the tower with minimal difficulties.  By the time we reached the second floor however, our dark elf companion met his end at the hands of a battle axe wielded by one of the more powerful of Elketh's broken servants.  Delia fell soon after and so it was up to her stick wielding companion and myself to finish the task.  He companion was of little use although her healing potions helped me quite a bit.  With only my blade fighting against the bulk of Elketh's forces, I was certain it would end poorly for us.  I was wrong.  Elketh underestimated me yet again and found himself flat on his back being terribly electrocuted by my newest blade.  Victory is ours for now."

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
The Betrayer
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2009, 03:24:45 PM »

"With Elketh defeated for now, I decided to turn my attention to the catacombs beneath the dwarven city.  I decided to make my way through the tunnels without any extra help.  I tire of seeing comrades dieing in battles, so until I've found a suitable partner I shall keep to myself.  The target of my choosing this time was yet another Lich.  Worse than Elketh by far and in need of a beating just as bad.  This target is known as an Alhoon.  A mindflayer wizard turned Lich.  I battled my way through his fortress, laying low his sentries and guards.  Then something unexpected occurred.  One of Elketh's servants appeared before me in the name of friendship.  Apparently this broken creation rebelled against its master shortly after my trip to the tower.  She followed me to the Alhoons fortress where she confronted me.  Her ability to speak was taken away from her by Elketh, leaving her only able to squeak like a small mouse.  As such, I promptly decided to call her Squeak.  To my surprise she turned out to be a capable spellcaster and quite pleasant socially, in spite of the fact that she can not speak.  For some strange reason however, I am able to understand her squeaking rather easily, so communication with her has not been a challenge.  Unfortunately, she is in need of a new set of legs thanks to Elketh's experiements.  I've decided to assist her in this matter.  She wishes for the legs of a beautiful young woman and so I shall find some for her.  If she can help me defeat Elketh once and for all then it will be worth it to take someone else's legs to give to her.  After all, does not the end justify the means?  In any event, Squeak and I managed to make our way through the Alhoon's fortress with minimal difficulty.  We destroyed all of his experiments and killed all of his guards.  Alas, the Alhoon decided not to test his luck in battle with us and instead turned tail and ran like a coward.  I'll find him and deal with him later.  For now at least, I have found a new friend and companion to assist me in my war against the Lich.  Yet another victory has been accomplished this day."