You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Alcohol!  (Read 2961 times)

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
Alcohol!
« on: February 22, 2009, 12:28:35 AM »
I think alcohol should be revamped.  Make most things beer based, a few wine, then leave spirits for the dwarven ales.  As I've experienced it, drinking is boring!  Nobody passes out, and you only lose a few int points for about three rounds!  What is that?  Boring.  Let's step step drunkedness up to game hours or turns, and maybe add some temp HP but lowered AB and arcane failure!  Yes, it sounds exciting.

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
Re: Alcohol!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 12:38:10 AM »
or people could actually roleplay being drunk rather than guzzle down 10 bottles and cheese being perfectly fine. woo-py doo!  :D

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 01:02:47 AM »
Roleplaying being drunk isn't nearly as fun when you have to predict when your character will pass out.  Plus the alcohol is abysmally weak.  Dwarven ale could be handled by a halfling.

darkpriest

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 04:46:31 AM »
There should be CON checks depending on the strength of alcohol...

failed.bard

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 05:13:40 AM »
If the durations were extended, and the effects slightly modified plus  stacked, it would handle itself.  Drink six bottles of wine back to back, if it doesn't all come back up violently, you die.  You skip the get drunk stage entirely.

It would take a complete re-work of the drinking system, though, plus all the alcohol types in game.

Something along the lines of a 10 step drunkenness system, with a fort save based on the type to avoid the effects, and various stage increments based on type.

At stage one to three, the benefits could even out-weigh or off set the negatives.

So...  not fancy, and really quick, so will definately need modifying, but:

Stage  Str  Dex  Con  Int  Wis  Cha  Will  Reflex  Fort  Fear  HPs  AB  SF%
  1         -      -    +1    -     -      -     -1       -        -     +1    +1    -     -
  2        +1   -1    +1   -1   -1    -1    -1      -1      +1    +2    +3   -1    5
  3        +1   -1    +2   -1   -1    -1    -2      -1      +1    +3    +6   -2    10
  4        +2   -2    +2   -2   -2    -2    -3      -2       -      +4   +10  -3    15
  5        +2   -3    +3   -2   -2    -2    -3      -3       -1    +5   +15  -4    20
  6        +1   -3    +2   -3   -3    -3    -4      -4       -1    +6   +21  -5    25
  7         -     -4    +1   -4   -4    -4    -4      -5       -2    +7   +28  -6    30
  8         -1   -5     -     -5   -5    -5    -5      -6       -3    +8   +36  -7    35
  9         -2   -6     -1   -6   -6    -6    -6      -7       -4    +50  +45  -8   40
  10    Death

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 05:29:21 AM »
nobody.. no? rp? anyone?
* Nefensis is drunk ?

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

failed.bard

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 06:53:31 AM »
Having Drunken master monks trying to moderate the effects, or fighters trying to get the right balance of fearlessness would generate RP, though, in addition to getting rid of the overly simplified system now, where a wizard having a beer could cost him spells, but a priest getting hammered well beyond the point he should be dead has no effect at all.

Iconoclast

• Church of the Lawgiver
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 09:36:15 AM »
My preference is to role play the effects.  I don't even bother with the actual drink bottle items.  When the rebels were sitting around a table, after a mission, we just rp walking up to the keg, and rp filling up mugs, and rp drinking, and rp the effects.  But, guess if the dev team thinks its worth making engine effects, no real harm for those who prefer to use those items. 

KoopaFanatic

• Iä! Iä! Puckwolf fhtagn!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 10:15:59 AM »
Hmm....  Yeah, this is an "experimental system" that could be a lot of fun!
Having just done some substantial real-world testing of the system last night, I'd suggest having Wisdom drop off faster, Charisma go up by one point at the first stage before getting penalties, and have the bonuses vs. fear start off higher (in part to offset the drop in Wisdom score, and in part because you lose your fear of death and/or humiliation well before alcohol poisoning would set in...)

Just so long as there's no "stunned" effect applied -- losing the ability to stumble around drunkenly would be a real shame.  ;)

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 10:51:33 AM »
Presumably, as part of a new system, they'll be the obligatory "head" visit after the 3rd ale. 
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

failed.bard

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 06:04:40 PM »
  I thought about a charisma bonus at the early stages, but since two of my three active characters right now are charisma based casters, it seemed self serving to give a bonus to that.  Having wisdom drop off also removes the value to monks, since they'd be losing AC to both dex and wis penalties, and drunken style fighting should make you harder to hit, not easier.

It was a quick concept of what it could be, based off what Bad-Bud said.  Recovery times would have to be implimented, though that could be done every minute when the fatigue check is done, so it would be a minor script change only for that part.

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 08:51:35 PM »
If the durations were extended, and the effects slightly modified plus  stacked, it would handle itself.  Drink six bottles of wine back to back, if it doesn't all come back up violently, you die.  You skip the get drunk stage entirely.

It would take a complete re-work of the drinking system, though, plus all the alcohol types in game.

Something along the lines of a 10 step drunkenness system, with a fort save based on the type to avoid the effects, and various stage increments based on type.

At stage one to three, the benefits could even out-weigh or off set the negatives.

So...  not fancy, and really quick, so will definately need modifying, but:

Stage  Str  Dex  Con  Int  Wis  Cha  Will  Reflex  Fort  Fear  HPs  AB  SF%
  1         -      -    +1    -     -      -     -1       -        -     +1    +1    -     -
  2        +1   -1    +1   -1   -1    -1    -1      -1      +1    +2    +3   -1    5
  3        +1   -1    +2   -1   -1    -1    -2      -1      +1    +3    +6   -2    10
  4        +2   -2    +2   -2   -2    -2    -3      -2       -      +4   +10  -3    15
  5        +2   -3    +3   -2   -2    -2    -3      -3       -1    +5   +15  -4    20
  6        +1   -3    +2   -3   -3    -3    -4      -4       -1    +6   +21  -5    25
  7         -     -4    +1   -4   -4    -4    -4      -5       -2    +7   +28  -6    30
  8         -1   -5     -     -5   -5    -5    -5      -6       -3    +8   +36  -7    35
  9         -2   -6     -1   -6   -6    -6    -6      -7       -4    +50  +45  -8   40
  10    Death

Im all for it!  It could help generate more roleplay so it's a good idea in my book.  Sure people can and will always rp on their own, but little things like this just help -enhance- said roleplay.  I say we try it!
"Alexander the Destroyer"

"In a closed society where everyone is guilty, the greatest crime is getting caught. In a world full of thieves, the greatest sin is stupidity" ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 10:05:17 PM »
In my experience with various games that involved items that could intoxicate your character, I always observed that players loved items that actually had an effect, and would use them on addicted characters, constantly going "aww man I'm so f***ed up", even though it was just a stupid effect.  I don't think it would be any different here.  People like it!

Iconoclast

• Church of the Lawgiver
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 11:28:22 PM »
[coughs]  :dubious:

I'll refrain from sharing my own experiences with (  :shades: ) psychodelics, but I will say there is a place in the story world for it.  A friend of mine gave me as a gift years ago, a history book on psychodelics in the context of shamanism.  I also worked during graduate school in an art museum on campus, where I guarded  :fighter:  over a case of ancient pots and artifacts from South and Central America.  One of the bowls had frogs for feet, and shamans painted upon the side.  So, even licking the right frog, can produce a spiritual experience.  The frogs were obviously symbolic of that aspect, and the bowl was used to vomit into since it would be poisenous  :yuck: otherwise, and posibly leathal.  With neo-paganism, such as what you see portrayed in parts of Oliver Stone's The Doors, when they go out to the desert on Peyote, and also a cauldron full of poets, taught now in universities world-wide, certain drugs had a role.   :lightbulb:

In the first stages of my caliban's story, Carrib, DM Cerberus (Enigma), fostered role play involving him consuming a psycodelic, in a ritual sense.  The dm would then create an out-of-body experience, and Carrib finally escaped his sickly confines of his body, even if only for the drug's duration.  It was fitting for the character.  A dm can also use dream areas, where a drug experience can delve the character deep into the subconcious mind, touching upon aspects of their story and deeper character otherwise not possible.

Now if a character misuses a plant, for trivial purposes, to party up, same thing happens in real life.  Some folks use marijuana and certain psychodelics, while still being responsible, healthy, and productive members  :ontome: of society.  And others, well, they get into some nasty and tragic [beep].  (Movie: Requiem for a Dream)

In Dementileu, there will be an opium den.  The atmosphere is amazing and immersive.  So there will be (I assume) opium smoking in countless scenes with players and dms.  Given this is gothic, I suspect poets, artists, and the wealthy to frequent the den. 

Hmm...we're strayed some from the original topic of alcohol.   :oops:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 11:43:49 PM by Iconoclast »

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 11:44:57 PM »
Woot.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 09:39:45 AM by kenpen »

Indi

• New to the Mists
  • The Order of Zarus
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 02:04:38 PM »
I find roleplaying drinking the most boring thing imaginable. I prefer to crack open 10 or 12 of my own frosty ones in real life, then stumble through Ghakis for 4 hours until I pass out. Much more interesting. Generates some epic tales for the tavern too, if you can remember them.

Vokan

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 02:06:43 PM »
True story(ies)

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 04:41:37 PM »
I find roleplaying drinking the most boring thing imaginable. I prefer to crack open 10 or 12 of my own frosty ones in real life, then stumble through Ghakis for 4 hours until I pass out. Much more interesting. Generates some epic tales for the tavern too, if you can remember them.

I drank about a fifth of rum on Christmas and stumbled through the outskirts slaughtering everyone. That was epically shut down. ;)

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 06:09:17 PM »
Back on topic.

I've added Opium for Dementlieu and as Icono mentionned, an Opium Den.

Eledaar

• Undead Master
  • Who?
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 02:47:41 AM »
I think this sounds like kind of a waste of time and if made into stat-affecting items, will just end up getting abused.

Plus, I really don't think alcohol should give you super abilities like increased STR or CON, even with hefty negatives.  You can't lift any more just because you're drunk - trust me, I've tried.  It just removes self-inflicted mental blocks.  I do like the idea of trading some negatives for a boost to saves against fear.  That's more realistic.

Yes, if something like this HAD to be implemented I'd say the positives should be temp HP and saves vs. fear.

Really, though - just RP it if you gotta.  I promise not to make a halfling (smelly things) and drink 20 bottles of whiskey.
-Ashan Nottiams, Mad Bastard
-Cosmin Slabu, Garda
-Grom, Rat-Eating Scumbag