Author Topic: Item : Potion of mist walking  (Read 2510 times)

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
Item : Potion of mist walking
« on: February 20, 2009, 03:24:38 PM »
Ive noticed a fair bit of gripeing about lack of horses , teleportation spells & the length of time it takes to travel anywhere recently, its struck me that apart from never willingly wanting to hand over your teleportation chances to the DPs, there is an existing method of travel in Ravenloft I haven't yet seen here ....the mistways .

I had in mind a potion , much like the Vistani sell outside of Barovia village with two possible functions ..

1) to gaze through the opaque bottle & its contents in order to know where the mists will lead you to  ( if the location changes every game hour to the start locations [those usually next to the Eztite shrines])

2) To drink the potion , when consumed & a mistway is entered the drinker , instead of being forced back , as currently happens will exit the mistway at that hours given location

Of course where to obtain this potion , possible side effects & cost ect, is all down to those nasty Dark Powers

Just a suggestion , quite outlandish , so get +4 to saves  ;)

LawfulJoe

• "Evil is a thing of perception, it depends on which end of the sword you're on"
  • Dark Power
  • aka AwfulJoe
    • Joe Kellerman - Graphic Artist
Re: Item : Potion of mist walking
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 03:32:15 PM »
Sounds cool to me :) I will tell you, I have heard of all kinds of different places to travel to, and to be honest, I have no Idea, IC or Out how to get there :P

Delphinidae

• Phasing in and out of PoTM
  • Dark Power
  • My poor wererats get no love.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 04:03:31 PM »
Mistwalking does happen (through DM intervention), but it's usually A LOT more dangerous than walking over there. Ask all those who've taken their chances in the mists. Walking among the mists is one of the most dangerous things you can do. Even Vistani or anchorites (mist domain and several mist related abilities in Ravenloft PnP) aren't completely safe in there.

If anything, I see the use of mistways to travel through the domains, but I feel that by simplyfing something that nobody truly understands (the mists) into a potion that lets you see where it could lead you kind of kills that mystery.

Ongoing Plots
Legacy of Blood
The Eye of the McGraths

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 04:08:14 PM »
Nice suggestion, but yes. Bottling one of Ravenloft's biggest mysteries would dumb it out. I miss mist walking, ran a lot of scenes in the mists, anchorites or Vistani and usually the latter comes at a price.

Iconoclast

• Church of the Lawgiver
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 04:29:25 PM »

Nice suggestion, but yes. Bottling one of Ravenloft's biggest mysteries would dumb it out. I miss mist walking, ran a lot of scenes in the mists, anchorites or Vistani and usually the latter comes at a price.

My thoughts and feelings as well.  Don't want to make mists walking mundane and common. 

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 04:55:24 PM »
 :roll: Damn those +4 saves

Seriously , thanks for the feed back .

Aran

• Undead Master
  • Into the storm with teeth bared !
    • vikings rule
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 05:02:29 PM »
you dont wanna be mistwalking

ya never know where you ends (or what evil ideas the dms have for ya  :twisted:)

:-)

aran

Aran: Deceased......twice
Arakor: the void within that chills the heart
Markos Donarew: the broken husk
Bronk: ADHD
Marg: the silent hand that kills