You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: general - new echo text breakdown - suggestion  (Read 3110 times)

Lyrithean

• Dark Lord
general - new echo text breakdown - suggestion
« on: January 23, 2009, 12:49:37 AM »
Think the local echo breakdown of text is kinda cool.. However some of them need to be rewritten or tweaked.. The breakup of the sentences kinda makes some of them seem that they were written by William Shatner

for example.. in the crypts in the outskirts the one of the texts breaks down like this..

Some of the corpses are so old they
Appear to be mummified

Now imagine that's William Shatner saying it..

« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 12:56:40 AM by Lyrithean »

fulkren

Re: general - new echo text breakdown - suggestion
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 01:31:18 AM »
Think the local echo breakdown of text is kinda cool.. However some of them need to be rewritten or tweaked.. The breakup of the sentences kinda makes some of them seem that they were written by William Shatner

for example.. in the crypts in the outskirts the one of the texts breaks down like this..

Some of the corpses are so old they
Appear to be mummified

Now imagine that's William Shatner saying it..

:lolsign:

suǝʇʇıɯ

• Undead Slayer
  • Illusionist
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 01:57:00 AM »
Either william shatner or some guy on like a discovery channel special about pyramids and egypt...ROFL. :lol:

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 05:28:02 AM »
Right now it breaks line when they reached a certain length or a punctuation, the latter resulting in a new paragraph. I think it could improve it further to have a line shift at every comma, and then make sure to have them when there's a natural break in our descriptions.

How's the text speed suiting you though? I tried to tweak it to something that would be best readable, but as I can't adjust how quickly the text fades, it can be a bit of a compromise between how quickly new lines show up and the line length, to make it neither to slow or fast.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 01:06:16 PM »
Eh, I think it was okay as it was originally.  This was a nice experiment, but I don't think it's suitable.

What it does is draw more attention to the message and make it last longer, while the older system kind of just slapped you in the face once, and you would realize that if you wanted to stop for a moment, you could look in your action bar and read the well-written message.  But as it is now, or any variation of what it's doing now, it's just annoying.  I walk in the Morninglord Temple that I've been in 500 times before -- What!  Ho!  A message appears that I've read before (only this time it stays there for several seconds instead of leaving me alone after saying "Hi, I'm a message")!

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 01:28:57 PM »
Yeah, I honestly am a bit mixed about it still myself... But keep sharing thoughts :)

boompowclash

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 01:37:10 PM »
I really like the new change, myself.  I feel like it encourages playing in Hide Mode.

Eledaar

• Undead Master
  • Who?
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 03:12:19 PM »
I think it works in some places (IE, the well in the w outskirts) and I prefer the old system in others (IE, the cobblestones worn by wagon wheels message at the western entrance to the slums)

Overall, pretty neat, even if it does remind me of Shatner.
-Ashan Nottiams, Mad Bastard
-Cosmin Slabu, Garda
-Grom, Rat-Eating Scumbag

Unana / Rapsutin

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 02:07:06 PM »
I donīt really like the floating text, that jumps at your eyes, myself. Seems bit too buggy. For example this happened to me when I got into the vampire crypts. The one line of the text got repeated over and over and over again and I was already planning to re-log when the problem fixed itself, slowly and in odd way but still fixed. Id rather have the old system back.

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 02:21:54 PM »
Holy crap  :shock:

Can't say i like it much in this current state, if it was a one long line it wouldnt be too bad.

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

Lockleed

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 02:22:08 PM »
I prefer the older system minus the pop-up text.  I pay little attention to any pop-up text over my PC, prefer to watch the text windows.  Currently the comment text is, as Lyr said, very choppy and reminiscint of Shatner.   Plus, people are continually logging in and out, so I am constantly getting messages like :

A number of people stand about the wagons, reminiscint of gypsies...
Bomawolf has logged as a player.  
They note your arrival with muted interest.

Just throwing in my opinion.

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 02:31:54 PM »
Have to agree. I'm used to just reading the text in the box. It's actually a distraction to have all that test continually scrolling above my character.

Eledaar

• Undead Master
  • Who?
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 05:29:02 PM »
I donīt really like the floating text, that jumps at your eyes, myself. Seems bit too buggy. For example this happened to me when I got into the vampire crypts. The one line of the text got repeated over and over and over again and I was already planning to re-log when the problem fixed itself, slowly and in odd way but still fixed. Id rather have the old system back.

This happens in a few locations it seems. :/  Namely, silver mines (ore, ore, ore..) and in the bunkhouse right outside them (miners, miners, miners..)
-Ashan Nottiams, Mad Bastard
-Cosmin Slabu, Garda
-Grom, Rat-Eating Scumbag

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 07:53:38 AM »
Yeah, honestly, I'm not sure why I'm clinging to it. The bug should be fairly easily fixable though. I could also make it an option you could customize yourself, so you could choose either way (one line or several, speed, length etc.). But ultimately, the question is if people would ever use it anyway?

No biggie if not really, the script is simple, perhaps I'll find a use in another place...

failed.bard

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 08:16:57 AM »
  I don't mind the new system, but I think certain area descriptions need to be re-written to better take advantage of it.  A place like the swanp, where the descriptions slowly rolls along as you delve deeper into the muck, it suits.

Eh_89_DnD

• Outlander
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 04:00:38 PM »
Eh, I think it was okay as it was originally.  This was a nice experiment, but I don't think it's suitable.

What it does is draw more attention to the message and make it last longer, while the older system kind of just slapped you in the face once, and you would realize that if you wanted to stop for a moment, you could look in your action bar and read the well-written message.  But as it is now, or any variation of what it's doing now, it's just annoying.  I walk in the Morninglord Temple that I've been in 500 times before -- What!  Ho!  A message appears that I've read before (only this time it stays there for several seconds instead of leaving me alone after saying "Hi, I'm a message")!

Yeah, I agree, liked the old version better
And so God has punished for our sins, cast us away from the Golden Gates, yet he has spared us from Hell, though we wonder what we have received, if it is not worse than Hell itself.