You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: respawn speed  (Read 6981 times)

failed.bard

Re: respawn speed
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2009, 05:02:12 AM »
The spawn rates are relative to amount of players online now, but if they are still overly low, I can tweak it. I'll look at the numbers :)

:thumbup:

I didn't know you'd made that change.

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2009, 10:37:38 AM »
The spawn rates on the Alhoon, the coal, and the Queen... they seem fine. Demonologists will also fill up given time. Silver mines, as well, because they're deadly and there's absolutely no reason to go there other than the XP. Perhaps some of these places remain decent because they're deadly enough, or far enough away, that people aren't *constantly* hitting them. I can at least count on, after a few days, once in a while having a good high spawn with them. The swamp and forest fanes get to higher levels because they're more out of the way, and they're much deadlier now (and, the forest fane because the loot is still broken, so it's extreme deadliness is often just undertaken for the enjoyment of a good, long run with constant danger.)

A lot of other places... well, I think because they're weaker dungeons, and because we've had an influx of new people, these places stay farmed. I haven't seen a high vampire spawn in forever. I haven't seen a /blaspheme/ in forever. I check the place out of force of habit, and for the statues, but there never anything there. Rarely see any greater shadow fiends in the forest. I have stopped checking the scrags altogether because I haven't managed to find an elder there in, oh.... six weeks? And then it was only into the first elder per group, and it got wiped out almost immediately. Long way to run to check, but I think there's either a cadre of low levels going there for XP, or the place just has such a slow respawn that it never grows. I ceased worrying about the werewolves ages ago. Even when my chars were low enough level to still hit the place, the spawn never went anywhere. Dire wolves? Mountain Loup-Garous? It was never happening. It was rare enough to see a worg and a low-land.

The mountain fane can reach a higher spawn, but that's because (for some reason) I think people still barely know of it's existence. It could use a remake and be given some more balls and area, like the swamp and the forest fanes. Despite there being demons there, Aluria can still solo the place without little fear save for getting stuck in a particularly bad storm of vengeance.

I haven't seen the nymph in months. Every time I've checked it, the place seems to have been wiped out. Barovia crypts, same.

Roaming ghosts on Ghakis get decently high. It's out of the way, and there's no treasure to speak of up there, so people only go for the XP.

I dunno. I miss vampires, and scrags most of all. Just never anything happening there, unless there's a DM.

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2009, 06:04:58 AM »
One thing to note... If you are looking for high spawns, try talking to the innkeeper at the fishing lodge or the beggar in the slums.

The spawn rates are relative to amount of players online now, but if they are still overly low, I can tweak it. I'll look at the numbers :)

Thank you.
"Alexander the Destroyer"

"In a closed society where everyone is guilty, the greatest crime is getting caught. In a world full of thieves, the greatest sin is stupidity" ~ Hunter S. Thompson

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2009, 06:42:25 AM »
To answer kenpen: the problem with mid level dungeons is that at low spawn... they are perfect for low levels. That goes for vampires, scrags, shadows, gilos, barovian crypts etc. So they get hit constantly and never grow. It is not a matter of spawn rate.

- I am NOT IMPLYING in any shape or form that low levels shouldn't be doing that by the way. That is a story for another thread  -

And I'm wondering: why did the beggar stop reporting on the beetles? I thought it was one of the most IC things for him to report.
Has been described as a sometimey player

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2009, 04:16:58 PM »
Yeah, I figured they were being hit almost constantly. I guess some places are just made for a wider range of levels. Scrags I didn't really consider low level, even at weak spawn, and at Elder spawn they're still pretty strong. But, what people do, I think, is keep them *purposefully* really low so they can go in and kill a few without any risk, get the XP, and leave. Kinda prevents them from ever getting stronger, and while it might be IC to keep a population low like that, there are plenty of better ways to do that without screwing up the spawn rates.

Go kill the top level of the silver mines. Leave the bottom two. That way, the top refills back to a level appropriate spawn more quickly, and you don't have to risk the lower parts.

Go farm the coffin vampires in the first tomb part of the vampire crypts.

Actually let the shadow forest grow to mid spawn and then just wipe out one of the maps so it redistributes and grows back more quickly.

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2009, 10:16:56 PM »
Hey posts gaurds at the entrance to beatles or something that makes the spawn grow let no one in and then you go in and get mugged by 80 bugs great plan.

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2009, 03:01:49 AM »
*Foreword: please don't misunderstand my tone for ironic or sarcastic. It's neither*

John, you do know that you don't have to do a place if you can't, right?

If you can't handle eighty beetles that doesn't mean that nobody can. If there where eighty beetles, there are loads of parties of levels 3-4 around that would love to do them. Just as if there where 80 vampire elites, there would be tripple that many parties that would love to have a go. Hell, just like yesterday that demonologists were max and a nice little party of 8 rolled through.

Speaking of guarding places so they grow... is that allowed? OOC? (IC it would loads of fun parties fighting over treasure)

P.S. Can't we have like one day per year that ALL the dungeons are max? Just one? I want to see the shadow's boss!!! Or maybe once the rat plot is done, some other dungeon will have it's rate upped to the top?

failed.bard

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2009, 03:05:14 AM »
The nightwalker also spawns in the barovian swamps.  It stomped all ever Maria and Morodin.

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2009, 03:18:03 AM »
great! So if we have that one day all dungeons max, I'll manage to get either to the shadows or the swamps before someone kills it and see him:)

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2009, 03:36:12 AM »
The nightwalker also spawns in the barovian swamps.  It stomped all ever Maria and Morodin.

Woah! You sure it wasn't a DM? I've never seen it there, even at the highest spawn.

failed.bard

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2009, 05:14:29 AM »
It may only appear at night, or it may have been Heretic added it.  Maria used a stoneskinned dire wolf to finish it.  The wolf killed a greater will O' wisp, then killed the nightwalker on the cleave attack.  It was a great moment for all wolf kind.

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2009, 11:34:59 AM »
But but but you have to go to a dungen if not my brain splode!

Lol jk but hey johns hobby is doing gigantic things which bring the comunity together notice how you all have in common that you hate john.
Thus that is my reason for never backing down from a dungen and plus thier will come a day when john is looked on as a hero for his incredible bravery. :mrgreen:

Chrisman888

• The Man Of The Hour
  • Dark Power
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2009, 12:17:47 PM »
One thing to note... If you are looking for high spawns, try talking to the innkeeper at the fishing lodge or the beggar in the slums.

Um... I always talk to the beggar and he doesn't tell me anything useful for spawns. He just says "Vistani will curse you! There are rats  the sewers! And The Count isn't what he is!"

~ Chris
Current Characters:
- Horatiu Milosovici (Barovian)
- Garbhan Macduff (Forlon)

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2009, 12:20:36 PM »
Maybe all the spawns Dimitru talks about are always low.

I never bother to talk to him. I'm only concerned about the high spawns, and all of those people will start to tell you about a place when they're middish.

Metal_ash

• Dark Lord
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2009, 09:08:20 PM »
The problem as i see it with the spawn speed ain't really about spawn speed at all, the spawn speed seems to be fine in my opinion.
Why places like sullen woods, vampire lair, werewolf lair, lich tower, spider cave on Baratak and even scrags always seems to be on low spawn is cause they are hit -really- often cause on low spawn low levels can even handle that spawn something that cant be done at alhoon or coal mines, demonologists and such places as low levels will not stand much of a chance there even on low spawn.
So to make it short the spawn seems fine all over really but some places never get the chance to reach a good spawn cause all kind of levels can handle the spawn on low spawn and cause of that are hit all the times from about all the players on the server.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 06:52:52 AM by Metal_ash »

Mrjunkie

• Dark Lord
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2009, 06:31:07 AM »
Seconded, overall its good, its just constant farming that keeps dungeons down.
Due to the ever growing playerbase people are hopping from dungeon to dungeon often, and especially if your party goes to three different dungeons and finds them all cleared out, any spawn they would find would be a instant hit.

It is a shame, places like lich tower, vampires and scrags are a lot of fun, and i've always had great rp in each with any party.

When the new domains open up it will all spread out and the overall dungeons will probably become more balanced.

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2009, 09:49:48 PM »
The beggar has given me clues about the cave in the south woods. Bloodsuckers, ogres, etc, being sighted, though I noticed he wouldn't mention this to my dwarven character. I wonder if a character's outcast rating is affecting whether he tells you anything useful or not.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2009, 10:19:50 PM »
If a dungeon gets hit roughly every two hours, and it takes two days to reach max, I'd say the spawn rate is too slow.

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2009, 12:15:22 AM »
Are the new countries coming in soon? If so, the addition of many new dungeons would negate the need for increasing the rates in the current ones as they'll likely be hit less often.

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2009, 08:44:11 AM »
Well the ones far away will be fine for the trip to get them would most likly be a few hours if you have to walk that far.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2009, 02:41:56 PM »
Are the new countries coming in soon? If so, the addition of many new dungeons would negate the need for increasing the rates in the current ones as they'll likely be hit less often.

Not sure when, but when they do come, I figure they'll likely be something for high level adventurers.  The low level dungeons around Vallaki will still be overfarmed to the point that they'll never reach a maximum.

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2009, 03:08:22 AM »
Really? That's disappointing, as I'm sure folks may want to play natives in those other lands, or simply wanting to start characters and level up in new places.